Author Topic: tip up bait for walleyes  (Read 6241 times)

Offline BassInTheGrass

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • hans?
tip up bait for walleyes
« on: Jan 04, 2009, 07:42 PM »
what is the best type of bait for walleyes on tip ups? medium sized minnows like bass minnows or is there something else? i am new to walleye fishing and would like to locate some with tip ups before i start jigging for them. thanks for the help.

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: tip up bait for walleyes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2009, 08:10 PM »
All i use in Champlain are "hunts" minnows and small suckers, mainly because they are both very hardy. Your gonna need a minnow that is gonna  be alive for long periods of time on a hook. I usually spend the whole weekend on the ice so i need a bait that will stay alive for at least 2 days on a hook, and will keep on squirming. Get ones that are between 3-4 inches.

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2009, 09:17 PM »
I usually spend the whole weekend on the ice so i need a bait that will stay alive for at least 2 days on a hook, and will keep on squirming.

Umm... catch some fish and they don't have to stay alive for 2 days!! LOL  j/k

:clap:

Offline BassInTheGrass

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • hans?
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2009, 05:29 PM »
what about a hook, ive heard small treble hooks and also just small bait holder hooks, what is best? also, where are you hooking the fish, in the mouth or back? thanks again.

Offline icefishinman88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2009, 09:17 PM »
Now ben ya know thats a secret.;D At home for eyes all we use are shinners.Most days medium shinners work the best but over the weekend i used small shinners and out fished our group on the eyes and perch.Before the regs went into effect you couldnt go wrong with a big ol creek chub

Offline coltons dad

• IceShanty Rookie
  • can you put a chimney in my shack?
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2009, 09:02 AM »
on onieda everyone seems to use buckeyes but when i go there i use bigger shiners and do well on better fish. it works some times when they're hot but have had to use smaller minnows to heat up the action. on honeyoe lake everyone uses med shiners. but i have also got them there on smaller minnows also. try smaller minnows and you have to contend with smaller perch. atleast the ones that hit a shiner are usually keepers. will be at onieda on saturday w/ shiners for tip-ups, small minnows for dead-stick and jigging w/ a rap or darter in north bay or off verona.
born to fish; forced to work.
all fisherman lie alittle, its just in us.

Offline icefisher 21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2009, 09:52 AM »
i use medium sized treble hooks w/ medium and large shiners

Offline iluvcrappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The real sports in life Bowhunting and Icefishing
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2009, 07:13 AM »
if you are using tip ups just try using a shiner minnow..........they seem to work the best for walleyes...........fat head minnows work alright as well.................j igging is the best thing you can do to improve your odds of catching walleyes.............. ..

Offline BassInTheGrass

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • hans?
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2009, 10:35 PM »
thanks for the help guys... got my first one today.

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya' gotta kill it !, To grill it !
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2009, 09:35 AM »
Fat-head minnow on a #12 wide bend treble hook(mustad or vmc). Just be sure not to rip it when you go to set the hook, a slight pull, and keep a tight line is all that is needed to bring the fish in.

WHACK'EM!!! AN STACK'EM!!!

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2009, 09:38 AM »
Hooked in the back, just below the dorsal fin. Be sure not to go through the spinal cord, or you'll have a dead minnow on your hook

ICE REBEL

« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2009, 07:51 PM »
My buddies and i have also had great luck on rosie reds and the same way salmon rebel said. good luck

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2009, 10:01 PM »
yep.

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2009, 06:55 PM »
All i use in Champlain are "hunts" minnows and small suckers, mainly because they are both very hardy. Your gonna need a minnow that is gonna  be alive for long periods of time on a hook. I usually spend the whole weekend on the ice so i need a bait that will stay alive for at least 2 days on a hook, and will keep on squirming. Get ones that are between 3-4 inches.

:o@days...thats funny! I am usually limited out by morning. I jig my boards every couple hours and check my bait to see how it's doing and to make sure I'm not stripped. On trophy lakes,the bigger the better for sucker size up to northern suckers,on most lakes3-6" suckers. :tipup:
myspace.com/tat2byjt

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 22, 2009, 10:54 AM »
what about a hook, ive heard small treble hooks and also just small bait holder hooks, what is best? also, where are you hooking the fish, in the mouth or back? thanks again.
No. 12 Mustad wide bend treble or no. 12 VMC treble; for panfish, bass, walleye.

No. 4 or no. 2 trebles for the pike, and everthing else large.

When still-fishing of any kind. When I use trebles, or singles, they are always hooked through the back, usually just below the dorsal fin. A little trick I learned a long time ago, if you want the minnow to swim irreguarly, is to hook it slightly further back, or further foward.

When I use a jig with them, they are hooked through the eyes, or the mouth. Note,...they usually stay on better hooked through the eyes.

Good Fishin'...SalmonRebel. :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.