The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: newbie to jiggin  (Read 672 times)

Offline bisceglia

• Team IceShanty Regular
newbie to jiggin
« on: Jan 26, 2009, 06:17 AM »
well i'm a newbie to the ice period (3rd season). the other day i landed a small salmon on a jig. i've pretty much only gone for salmon through the ice, but after jigging up that salmon (sat. mattawa) i think i'm going to start jigging more often, and also for some trout. i c&r the troutthrough the ice

now come the question on trout; do i wanna look for th same structures as in the open water; do i wanna jig between 15- 20 feet down (just my guesses don't know what to look for through the ice)

jigging is fun any tips i'd love p.m. me i you want

and what are some jigs i might want to add to my collection

see you at comet
all fishermen are liars, except me and you... but i'm not so sure about you

Offline fishingeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: newbie to jiggin
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2009, 06:34 AM »
Can't go wrong with a swedish pimple of various sizes. My favorite color is gold tipped with a mealie. My presentation varies from a slow pick up of about 1-2 feet and drop. I've found they seem to hit on the drop. Goodluck. Trout can be fun on the jigging but can be slow at times.

Offline bisceglia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2009, 05:38 PM »
come on!!! some one must have some advise! **censored**! the main thing i wanna know is what depth off of what structures. i'll figure out pressentation on my own
all fishermen are liars, except me and you... but i'm not so sure about you

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2009, 06:02 PM »
Goodluck. Trout can be fun on the jigging but can be slow at times.

That about sums it up.  Anywhere from the bottom to the ice, big jigs to just a hook.  Put something on that smells like something a fish would eat.  I've caught them in 4 FOW to 20 FOW.  Trout are finiky, there's no sure shot.  If you can find a brook that comes in or a spring your chances go way up.

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2009, 07:08 PM »
The most trout I've caught through the ice have been 4 to 6 feet below the ice in deep water. In 2 to 5 feet of water,fish just below the ice. Trout are likely to be anywhere in the winter.
MA

Offline JDiPerrio

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2009, 09:54 PM »
Get a Vexilar  ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.