Author Topic: Crappie at night  (Read 504 times)

Offline tschneid

• Team IceShanty Regular
Crappie at night
« on: Jan 24, 2013, 10:26 AM »
I posted this over in the Indiana board but did not get a lot of responses so I figured I would try on the general board. I am looking for some info on ice fishing for crappie at night.

1. Any difference between a lantern/light on the ice vs a submersible light.
2. Are minnows required or can you use bee moth (wax worms) or something in the scented bait family like gulp.
3. Are glow in the dark jigs the only way to go.
4. Are you better off in a shanty so the light is more directed/contained or put the light outside the shanty and fish the edge of the light.
5. How much light should I be trying to produce on/in/around the ice?
6. Do crappie tend to suspend more at night or hug the bottom?

Thanks for any info you are willing to share.

Offline Cwab_LX5

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Crappie at night
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2013, 11:11 AM »
This is just going off the lake i fishied this yr but... u really dont NEED a light although usefulli would use a glow jig just b/c the fact it does attrack the fish a whole lot more they r curious as to what is glowing and when they realize its food they inhale if they r hungry i was using wax worms at the time minnow do give it a realistic look when they r squirming but waxies tend to do just fine. although i was pulling them off bottom im pretty sure crappie r more suspened at night its all depends on the fish they r all different and the time of yr matters to.. in a different lake i fished last yr u could really tell the fish were suspened and they do circles around the lake at nite looking for food so u would catch 5 or so then if u dont chase them wait and an hr or so later they return that nite was 60% of fish on minnows 40% on waxies... hope this helps a little bit good luck out there

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2013, 12:03 PM »
I have caught crappie at night with no light, just the regular light in my shack for me to see, they have good night vision. I also find a clear water lake best for night, stained dark or dirty water is usually no good at night.

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2013, 12:50 PM »
EVERYBODY is different,try them ALL,see what works for you ,
I use a lamp and jig fish with a spike
hope this helps
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline wishingiwasfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2013, 02:04 PM »
The guys I went fishing with were using the jigging rapalas.  I have always used glow jigs. Minnows seemed to work well but can catch them on wax worms just depends what the bite is like.

Offline just_a_beer_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2013, 06:29 PM »
Done it both ways.  Glow jig is a must though.  We've had good luck with red head lamps also.
Flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.