Author Topic: how much line on tip-ups  (Read 6566 times)

fishing ohio

how much line on tip-ups
« on: Jan 08, 2004, 09:21 AM »
Hello guys
   I would like to hear from you guys how much line you perfer spooled on your tip-ups. Do you do diferant leghts for diferant fish mainly crappie and northern. In (feet or yards)
                      Later

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
Re:how much line on tip-ups
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2004, 12:41 PM »
Fill um' up. My Heritage Lakers hold 450'-500' of 36# dacron.

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2004, 03:37 PM »
I buy in 100 yard spools and fill each tip-up with it. 300" is a long run. Enough for the biggest fish I've caught.

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2004, 04:03 PM »
Third in line  - FILL THEM UP!
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

acsacmboy

« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2004, 07:01 PM »
put as much as you can! never know what might bite!

MUSKY 2004

« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2004, 08:02 PM »
FILL THEM UP,ESPECIALLY FOR PIKE.IVE SEEN BASS TAKE ALMOST EVERYTHING OFF THE SPOOL ALSO. BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY.

Ice Troll

« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2004, 03:19 AM »
My school of thought is a little different. I spool my tip ups with as little line as possible so I can still fish varied depths. We rarely ever fish more than 30'. The reason is twofold. First, when a big northern or laker hits, they will usually run like a bat out of hell and when they hit the end of the spool, the hook sets itself. I use Malin Boa no-kink wire leader that actually stretches and serves as a shock absorber and my homemade woody tip ups are stought enough to handle the shock. I have caught lakers and Northern in the twenty pound plus class and never had one break me off. They usaully stay hooked even if you are not near the tip up and swim back towards the hole. I rarely come to my tipups and find I have lost a fish. The second reason is: who really wants to spool 300' of line back onto there tip up when its freezing cold outside.

fishing ohio

« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2004, 05:42 AM »
Hello Ice Troll
   That is my thoughts exactly. I don't want to spool that much line either. We all know you sometime don't get there right away.
    What type of hook do you use for pike that it will set itself.
    Thanks for all the help guys. If anything maybe from this post some people will try something else and fine it to work better.

Ice Troll

« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2004, 07:36 AM »
Hi Fishbeware,
I usually just use a #2 octopus single hook. I prefer one of the super sharp brands like a Gamakatsu, Daiichi or Mustad. Most of my fish usually hit when I am not present and I have about an 80% hook up success ratio. I have read alot about guys techniques about setting the hook but like I said, we are so spread out that its tough to be present when a fish hits. We catch alot of fish this way so I must be doing something right.

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2004, 03:29 PM »
I fill them with 18lb dacron.  Then the begining of every season I cut off 20 ft (I figger that is the part of the line that gets the most wear and tear)  Once the spool gets down to about half full I blood knot on more dacron and fill it back up
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2004, 09:02 AM »
My local shop is selling heritage laker tip-ups for $19.99!!! I've shoped around and believe this is the least expensive I've found. Anyone seen them for less?

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2004, 10:08 AM »
$17.99 at Dattilios in So. Burlington VT. If you buy a few, Jim might give you a break on that price too... 802-862-5516

Bob

Offline The Iceman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2004, 07:59 AM »
I use HT Polars and spool them with 50yds of 25lb dacron. I have found that when I put any more the dacron tends to swell and creates a mess.

We fish for northerns, walleye and musky and I have never had a fish spool me yet.

Offline The Iceman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2004, 08:00 AM »
I use HT Polars and spool them with 50yds of 25lb dacron. I have found that when I put any more the dacron tends to swell and creates a mess.

We fish for northerns, walleye and musky and I have never had a fish spool me yet.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2004, 04:59 AM »
My local shop is selling heritage laker tip-ups for $19.99!!! I've shoped around and believe this is the least expensive I've found. Anyone seen them for less?
     L.L. bean in freeport maine 16.99 and they guarentee everything they sell for life!!!

GEEMAN

Re: how much line on tip-ups
« Reply #15 on: Feb 20, 2004, 09:09 AM »
Fill em up. Better to have the line on and not need it then to need it and not have it.

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 21, 2004, 08:01 AM »
I use Beaver Dams and fill them with 50 yards of 20lb black dacron and have never had a problem. I use a 12 inch black steel leader of same strength and a treble hook suited to what I am after. I put a split shot at a point about 3 inches abouve the leader and use a small bobber as a marker. I have never had a northern or bass run it all the way out. I have tried the plastic ice line but not to happy with it. My buddy does same but uses the green ice line with no problems. :'(
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

GEEMAN

« Reply #17 on: Feb 21, 2004, 08:41 AM »
If you want to try some neat line try some Cortland camoflaged braid. It's a different color every 10" or so. That stuff almost disapears underwater. That's what I have on my Beaver Dams mostly.

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2004, 05:55 PM »
Geeman   good idea as I have to put new line on 3 of my tip ups this year as try to replace it every 5 years or so. Thanks for the tip. ;D
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 04, 2004, 05:40 PM »
I just purchsed 5 new Heritage Lakers and I loaded each one up with 100 yards of line. Better to have too much than not enough.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.