Author Topic: Leader set up for Northern?  (Read 4558 times)

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
Leader set up for Northern?
« on: Dec 31, 2003, 12:20 AM »
What do most of you guys do for your leader set up for tip up fishing for northern? i.e. ice line connected to strait fluro then hook. Or ice line/fluro/steel leader/hook. Or some braided super line. What seems to work best for you?
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
Re:Leader set up for Northern?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2003, 08:18 AM »
Well....I have a swivel attached to my main line to that I'll hook my leaders. I make all of my leaders with a snaplock snap on one end and  the hook on the other. I fish for different species and the snaplock allows me to switch leaders. For pike I'm using 50# floro and 15# American fishing wire. I'm using both this season to see how the light steel effects my catch. For walleye and lakers I use 8# Maxima ultragreen and for salmon I use 4# ultragreen.

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2003, 09:37 AM »
50# Black Dacron with a 45# teflon black coated steel leader.

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2003, 09:49 AM »
Thanks Esox for all the help you give to this site and myself! I like that idea especially for fishing different species around here. I am going to try some new things this year as well. Have you ever had a problem with the swivels snagging in the weeds when a fish takes the line? I will look for you out there this year!
Well....I have a swivel attached to my main line to that I'll hook my leaders. I make all of my leaders with a snaplock snap on one end and  the hook on the other. I fish for different species and the snaplock allows me to switch leaders. For pike I'm using 50# floro and 15# American fishing wire. I'm using both this season to see how the light steel effects my catch. For walleye and lakers I use 8# Maxima ultragreen and for salmon I use 4# ultragreen.
t
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2003, 10:01 AM »
I have not had a problem with snagging that I know of, but it's hard to tell what happens under the ice.

You fish Arrowhead..right? Maybe we can meet for some fishing on Carmi or Champlain sometime. I'd like to try and get some salmon as soon as there is good ice at the sandbar.

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2003, 10:41 AM »
I do. I am actually going to get out today and look for good ice and maybe get a line in. Last sat. there were a bunch of guys on kelley bay. I am going to check out the sandbar and possibly Miss. Bay. I will let ya know. The cold is on its way!

You fish Arrowhead..right? Maybe we can meet for some fishing on Carmi or Champlain sometime. I'd like to try and get some salmon as soon as there is good ice at the sandbar.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2003, 10:54 AM »
I'm actually headed to Miss bay tomorrow and probably this weekend. Let me know what you see for ice.

FYI...6" on Keelers last weekend.

acsacmboy

« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2003, 11:21 AM »
i use an english hook for pike.then a 12 inch black leader then 40 pound dacron. works for me

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2003, 12:06 PM »
acsacmboy,
I actually RELEASE most of my fish. ;) You won't be doing that with an English hook.

If you want big ones...you have to let some grow up.

acsacmboy

« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2003, 12:18 PM »
i release the pike if they are smaller than about 30 even then i dont get that many. i havent caught one in 2 years so that helps. i dont get that many fish and if i do go for pike i probably wont get one. i dont fish for pike that often, once or twice a year. im transitioning to trebles but i still like my english hook. i have a post on it earlyer that im trying to find. sorry if you think i kill pike but i try notto. sorry if i offended anyone

acsacmboy

« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2003, 12:21 PM »
i found it i did zero editing to it:

i use something MUCH different than a treble or a single hook or a quick strike rig on PIKE. i use a hook called an english hook. it has 2 hooks (like a treble but with one missing, almost the same angle if you take one off yourself) on about a 6inch stell leader(built in/made that way). then we have a 12 inch steel leader. it rigs up by taking a supersharp and long needle(included) and pokeing a hold through its"neck"(above its head) and pulls the hook all the way down its spine(above it also) and out near it tail. the minnow last a long time miraculusly(sp).. i have 100% hooking percentage. yet when you get a flag. you have to wait. the pike will run than swallow the bait. we always wait till it is almost done swallowing then whack him. bad on the pike exept if you know its a keeper fisha nd you intend on keeping it. DO NOT use them if you want to release the fish. the hooks will rot out if yopu do catch a small one but it is not recomended if you intend to release all pike.

read the last part do not use them if you intend to realse all fish.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2003, 01:29 PM »
acsacmboy,
You did not offend me. I know what English hooks are because I use to use them. As I got older and better understood how my actions were effecting the places I fished. I realized that I did not need to keep everything I caught, and how selective harvesting helped the fishery.

Now please note these are my feeling about MY actions, not yours and I mean no offense. As long as folks are staying within the laws I have no problems with them.

For those who don't know what english hooks are....

Good luck out there...and get that camera so we can see some pics. ;) ;D

Offline howey1176

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2004, 04:41 PM »
I use black 35# "squid line" with an 8" black steel leader, and a no.1 single hook, about a 1/4 ounce splitshot above the leader to restict the minnow somewhat. Never have a problem with hooking up. Tried trebles, they worked well too, but they were more of a problem getting out of the pikes mouth.

Offline water_wolf

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A water_wolf in sheepheads clothing
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2004, 03:16 PM »
I use 20# black Mason nylon coated braided line, for a leader I am trying the Southbend Invisileader this year 8"  27 Lb. test, for hooks I use #2 Gamakatsu treble hooks.  
Rich Ferguson

Ice Troll

« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2004, 02:44 AM »
This is something that you may want to look at. It solved all my leader problems when fishing for toothy critters. It is unbreakable, extremely thin, invisible in water and does not kink. Best of all you can doctor this stuff up with beads, spinners or anything else you currently use with braids, wires or mono. Give it a look at least at:

www.tackledirect.com/malinboanokink.html

Hope this link works. I have also found it at eangler.com

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.