Author Topic: Blades on tipups  (Read 4717 times)

Joel

Blades on tipups
« on: May 03, 2002, 01:34 PM »
When fishing with tipups, I put a couple of blades on where I tie on my leader. I have found green and gold to work the best. I probably get double the flags as my buddies that are fishing the same spots as I

Offline frostbite

• IceShanty Rookie
  • There is no thrill without the chill!!!
Re: Blades on tipups
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2002, 03:34 PM »
That's a great idea! I think i'll try it the next time i go out. THANKS MAN!
A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work.

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2002, 11:21 AM »
I have been using spinner blades on my live bait rigs for over 20 years. Size#1 silver,gold,or red 8" up for perch,pickerel,bass.Size #0 18-24" up for trout,lake trout,white perch (salmon where legal).will always out fish nearby anglers,many come over to see my "secret" and when I see them again they are doing the same.
Good Luck- Good Fishing
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Offline Sturge1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2002, 10:59 AM »
Just a quick question' are you using the Colorado, Indiana or the willowleaf blades?
Thanks,
Sturge1

Offline tommyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2002, 11:17 AM »
In addition to Sturge1's question - How exactly do you rig the blades.  Are the used "in-line" or is that what you hook your bait to? Also, do you guys think that the ultrathin blades usually used for trolling will work for this application, or do I need something heavier?

Thanks in advance!  I should be dropping a line in by the weekend! (I hope)

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2002, 11:44 AM »
Set your leader up as follows:  Peferred Hook(I started using red circle hooks last year,otherwise I like Gold Kalhe bait hooks): place a small split shot up the leader the distance wanted, slip 3-4 beads on leader: attach spinner(Colorado) with clevis on leader:sometimes I add an additional bead above spinner: extend leader to length required: attach snap. attach to main line GET FISHING

Good luck,Good Fishing
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

micky

« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2002, 05:53 AM »

can you show me a picture of a spinnerblade, on live bait. I somewhat have a visual of it but would like to be certian. Going out this weekend like to start with a bang.                                                                                                                   thanks mickey  

Offline buck4dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing is life the rest is just details
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2003, 08:55 AM »
i have used small trolling blades tied verically just like when downrigging

Offline AdkIceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2003, 09:29 AM »
how far up is the spinner and is it above the split shot i am kinda confused on the whole deal
~AdkIceman~
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.   ~Waylon~

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2003, 12:03 PM »
AdkIceman:    HooK of choice----(6-8in's)--split shot(just enough to get Shiner down)--beads---spinner/clevis----(leader length desired-I like 16")---small swivel----Main line.

Deeper water I increase the distance between the hook and the split shot and the length of the leader,and downsize the spinner blade.

Hope this solves your problem.

Good Luck - Good Fishing
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2003, 01:23 PM »
this is the rig i use i put a bober stop to set the blade distance from the hook and use weight above for more blade action or below the blade for less action it works well for me in clear water have not noticed a differance in stained water.

Offline first ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Watch your eyes boys, watch your eyes
Re:Blades on tipups
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2004, 10:29 AM »
I've tried the exact rig in the pic and have had no more luck  using them then not. I seem to get more on the ones that don't have the spinner then with the spinner. Maybe they don't like it where I fish or I'm doing something wrong, hmmmm go figure!!!! ???
Go early , stay late

Offline water_wolf

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A water_wolf in sheepheads clothing
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2004, 02:57 PM »
I have been using spinning blades for at least 15 years on my tip-ups.  I attach them just above my leader with the spiral type clevis and a few orange beads.  I have used hammered nickel, chartruese/black and hammered copper.  I normally use them when fishing a river or near an inlet/outlet where there is some movement to the water.  Sometimes it works sometimes it don't.  It may very well be just a confidence builder of sorts.   ???
Rich Ferguson

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2004, 06:15 PM »
Hey thanks guys ,

Best thing i ever did this helps me catch more fish the extra flash is a definite plus. Anyway have been catching more bass and pikerel all day long.

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

JohnP

« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2004, 07:45 PM »
I use pretty much what the others are doing. I spray paint some split shot for added color put that up around 10 inches from the hook, on top of that 2 or 3 beads and above that I put on a little colorado blade probably a size 0 or 00, no clevis though. I have experimented over the last 3 years and have settled on pink, red and gold as my favorites. Definately outfishes those traps without color in my case at least, so all mine are rigged that way this year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.