Author Topic: beaver dams II  (Read 2836 times)

salmonboy

beaver dams II
« on: Feb 12, 2003, 09:18 AM »
the tip recently on cutting thru the line guide worked great instantly, I wonder what the design engineers were thinking by not making it easy to wind the line on by hand when it is cold and windy????

next question, have been trying to figure out with the flag trip mechanism how to get the "hardest trip" while using big minnows, the tip ups are so smooth that I have been getting alot of false trips, tried other things by cutting offf half minnows tail etc but it seems as if the trip system and the unique design of the flag shaft allows for different settings by manipulating the "handle" type of design on the shaft.  last weekend I tried putting the "handle" under the bigger grooved spinner and the back side of the handle over the smaller grooved part of the spinner........dunno if it helped or not.....looking for some further tips for this from beaver dam afficionados
thanks

alloutdoors681

Re:beaver dams Ii
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2003, 11:55 AM »
I have always just bit the tails off the minnows if they trip the flag.

trapdaddy21

« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2003, 07:59 PM »
i have seldom gotten minnow trips with my beloved beaver dam tip-ups. if you are getting alot of minnow trips consider the size of minnow you are using. even though a walleye will take a fish about one third its size i like medium size shiners or suckers. i would rather have smaller minnows than cutting the tails and losing their action and spunk!

eyeboy

« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2003, 09:36 PM »
As far as Beaver Dam tip ups, the handle part set on the pointed part of the set is the lightest, this will ROLL OFF easrier , if you use the flag pole part on the thickest part of the set will make it harder to trip. this makes it harder to ROLL OFF. There are also medium heavy trips, by using the Handle part of the flag on the thick side of the set. hope you are following, or the medium light would be the handle part on the pointed part of the set....... it comes down to the spring weight, more spring weight the harder it rolls off, the less spring weight the easier it will trip...... Hope this helps

wolfeman

« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2003, 12:18 PM »
When I want to put on a really big shiner, I slide a O-ring on the horizontal part of the "T" and set your flag behind it. It gives just enough friction so the biggest minnow won't trip it, but a big pike will.

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2003, 05:10 PM »
Eyeboy hit the nail on the head! Best tip-up on the market bar none,especially those dreadful why am I out here days! Smooth as silk
they are all I'll run,dependable !
myspace.com/tat2byjt

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.