Author Topic: Jigging for pike.  (Read 4853 times)

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
Jigging for pike.
« on: Dec 31, 2002, 03:04 PM »
Going to Alberta next month for a pike trip. Anyone know any good jigging methods for pike ??? Type of lure, bait etc.(can't use live minnows there) Thanks.

Offline sunup

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Safety first. The fish will wait!
Re: Jigging for pike.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2003, 04:53 AM »
I have been playing with pike jigging this year and have taken several on a Wabler with a couple minnows hooked through the mouth dangling on the treble.  Live or dead doesn't seem to matter.  Hang on, they hit hard!  I am using a med/heavy ice rod with 14lb fireline and a 3 foot leader of 12lb vanish.

Offline bluecaddisfly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TIGHT LINES AND SMOOTH DRAGS
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2003, 07:42 AM »
JUST CAUGHT MY FIRST NOTHERN A WEEK AGO ON THE CONN. RIVER IN N.H.. MY BUDDY GOT A FLAG AND THE FISH BROKE THE LINE, SO, WHILE HE WAS RERIGGING, I JIGGED THE HOLE WITH A 3" TUBE LURE WITH A SQUIRT OF BERKLEY STRIKE IN THE TUBE. DIDN'T JIG MORE THAN FIVE TIMES, AND A SMALL{12"} NORTHERN SLAMMED THE JIG.
TUBES WORK FOR LAKERS TOO, CARRY A COUPLE SIZES AND COLORS AND DIFFERENT WEIGHT JIG HEADS. IT'S CHEAP TO FILL A BOX AND GIVES YOU AN OPTION OTHER THAN AIRPLANE JIGS.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2003, 09:02 PM »
Heh sunup : do you find the 12lb vanish line is enough? My friend in Alberta has told me horror stories of pike breaking line. Have you lost any from line breaks? I like that fireline. Thanks for the tips guys. Keep them coming  ;D

Offline bluecaddisfly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TIGHT LINES AND SMOOTH DRAGS
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2003, 10:07 AM »
Terrygonefishing, I have caught Bluefish, salt water peranna, {didn't spell that right} on 20lb line and brought them in. If your keeping a tight line, you should be able to land them, just check for nicks in the line after you hook one. Pike teeth have nothing onBlues, got some scars to prove it!!

woodspirit

« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2003, 04:06 PM »
Yeah I would say BlueC is right about the bluefish, a saltwater (gasp!) species. I have seen them attacking schools of baitfish and there will be 10 to 12 inch fish bitten clean in half floating around in the water. Pike use those teeth for grabbing prey, bluefish just bite them in half! I love those things..

Offline sunup

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Safety first. The fish will wait!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2003, 05:54 AM »
I haven't been cut off so far by the pike.  T he fish all had the hooks in the corner of the jaw so the leader didn't even get frayed.  The last two trips were soooo slow, I only caught one undersized pike and a few small perch.  Pretty much the same for most people I talked to.  I do like the  Vanish for abrasion resistance.  Use it for walleye trolling and get most of my Shad Raps back when the pike eat them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.