Author Topic: Hook Setting Rod Holders  (Read 27936 times)

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: Hook Setting Rod Holders
« Reply #30 on: Jan 11, 2012, 12:10 PM »
The rod holder is a piece of 1 1/4" pvc pipe attached to a 16" 1x4 that gets anchored to the ice, behind the pvc, with a screw-anchor. A screw-eye towards the front end gets the string loop.
This is just the "working model". A coiled wire rod holder is much easier to stick in one of various angled holes in the base for different pole angles.

See above post for modifications and additions.

Questions?

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 11, 2012, 06:52 PM »
thanks for the pics guys i just finished building 3 today. total cost for all 3 ways 2.50! i had to buy 6 inch eye bolts with nuts and 3 additional nuts. the rest of the materials i had laying around. tested them out with numerous rods and all seemed to work fairly well. they are not hair trigger by any means but think they will get the job done. only time will tell.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #32 on: Jan 11, 2012, 07:21 PM »
Boder, if you'll set the pole,(carefully) and look from the side, at the trigger, whatever kind you've gone with, and note which direction to move/bend for easier release, by going slowly, you should be able fine tune, for a lighter set-off.

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #33 on: Jan 11, 2012, 08:04 PM »
The rod holder is a piece of 1 1/4" pvc pipe attached to a 16" 1x4 that gets anchored to the ice, behind the pvc, with a screw-anchor. A screw-eye towards the front end gets the string loop.
This is just the "working model". A coiled wire rod holder is much easier to stick in one of various angled holes in the base for different pole angles.

See above post for modifications and additions.

Questions?

I was thinking of something similar.  I was planning on PVC all the way around.  If it was up to me, I'd put the anchor in the front, and use it to attach the trigger.  I was also wondering if you get good hook sets?  Seems to me with the set up you're showing that the rod is bent way back behind the trigger.  Lots of movement before the slack is taken up.  If the trigger was straight below the rod tip it would have less slack.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline rlvb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The fishie says "Why you looking at me like that?"
« Reply #34 on: Jan 11, 2012, 08:44 PM »
This is a copy cat model i made and it sure does work.

born to fish---forced to work

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #35 on: Jan 11, 2012, 09:30 PM »
I was thinking of something similar.  I was planning on PVC all the way around.  If it was up to me, I'd put the anchor in the front, and use it to attach the trigger.  I was also wondering if you get good hook sets?  Seems to me with the set up you're showing that the rod is bent way back behind the trigger.  Lots of movement before the slack is taken up.  If the trigger was straight below the rod tip it would have less slack.

Fishrmn
I've found the fish is going away, has already traveled a few feet, has the hook/lure/bait well engaged, has tasted it, is hanging on well and the trillionth of a second, if any, lag time to be negligible. Sharp or dull hooks are BURIED beyond the barb.
If you just think of the leverage and stability of the rear placement of the screw anchor, you'll come to understand it's advantage there. As far as negating the screw-eye, they're very inexpensive and it does the job.
I used and changed these for some time now, they don't miss( unless loose or hanging bait). It's just an idea that works well for me. Change it as you would like, even though the planning and refinement has taken a while.

On a side note, only one trout was not hooked in the mouth ~ it was hooked cross-ways through the nose about 1/4" up it's head, past the barb. The quick firing of this rig is almost impossible to dodge.

Offline Icemanjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 11, 2012, 09:42 PM »
I would challenge the ruling, I do not see any springs on the devices.  Ask this "if during open water I am using a rig from the shore with a sinker above the hook and the sinker lodged on the bottom is holding tension on the rod and a fish takes the bait, unlodges the sinker and the rod springs back, is this also against the law?"  Looks like the same thing to me.  Lots of luck guys.
Here fishy fishy fishy, I don't want to hurt you, I just want to catch you!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #37 on: Jan 11, 2012, 10:04 PM »
It's just a tip-up.    ;)2

Offline Duneman101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 12, 2012, 09:44 AM »
they are not hair trigger by any means but think they will get the job done. only time will tell.

The longer the trigger the lighter the pull, i found this when making mine, i actually have 3 different triggers that i carry out with me, they swap out pretty easy too.  though even with the shortest trigger i've never missed a bite.

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #39 on: Jan 13, 2012, 09:39 PM »
This is what I'm gonna try when we get some Ice.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #40 on: Jan 14, 2012, 12:03 AM »
Hounds, you genius, let us know when it fires and releases.

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 14, 2012, 12:59 AM »
Hopefully can give you a report on Tuesday gator if things stay frozen around here.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #42 on: Jan 14, 2012, 01:08 AM »
Your weather is lookin' good for some ice.
Nice simple design. May need to keep it back from the hole for a more forward pull to set it off.
Good luck Hounds.

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 14, 2012, 01:11 AM »
Might be to simple, but thanks Gator will see.

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 01, 2012, 10:03 PM »

It works! this is the second pike i have gotten with my homemade auto fisherman. a nice fat 28 in pike. pretty satisfying.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #45 on: Feb 01, 2012, 10:24 PM »
Good show Boder ! That one musta taken the rod tip into the hole, ha.     :woot:

I see now, with the shorter rod and no string, just the trigger on the screw eye.  Did the rod-holder end raise up a bit from the ice?

Do you have any words about the thrill of seeing the rod bending to a fish, with a device you built yourself?

Congrats on success.        :thumbsup:

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 02, 2012, 09:11 AM »
Man these are the coolest.  I just gota build me some.... this would be a good time I think.

Thanks for the pics and ideas guys.  I hope to get something to share soon.

Offline buckzone101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T.Warrington Outdoors
« Reply #47 on: Feb 02, 2012, 09:30 AM »
i built my "trout/perch tamer" on the same platfrom as the steelie slammer, so its pretty much a steelie slammer but im going to use it for trout and perch/ crappie!! gotta get pics soon, i took an old flag and put it on my pole!
INSTAGRAM@ twarringtonoutdoors

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 02, 2012, 10:01 PM »
i have been leary bout the base moving around and losing a rod down the hole but nothing like that has happened so far, so knock on wood. i now have a ton of confidence in these things though. it is very gratifying to know that i built it. got really nice hook sets on the fish i have caught too. might try these on perch and crappie just for the heck of it but not sure if they will trip on the light crappie bite or if the hook set will be too strong. only one way to find out i guess.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #49 on: Feb 02, 2012, 10:13 PM »
That's the best way to find out on the hook-set, only bringin' up a pair of lips.     :woot: :roflmao:

And worse ~ one lip.    :sick: :roflmao:

Keep us posted Boder.

Offline NEW222

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Feb 03, 2012, 10:11 PM »
Just got mine, but you may wanna try these.  And at only $5 each, very affordable.

http://fishamatic.info/IcefishAmaticInstructions.htm

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #51 on: Feb 03, 2012, 11:41 PM »
New222, you might look into what's involved in replacing your rod tip-top, at some point. Maybe get a 4 pack or even a dozen. Just one more reason we like to roll our own.

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Feb 05, 2012, 12:51 AM »
Couldn't a person use a plastic zip tie loop on the rod tip to save on wear and tear?
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #53 on: Feb 05, 2012, 01:02 AM »
The smallest size works very well and doesn't foul the line. Just put it on one of the braces that are usually a part of the rod tip-top. ;)2

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Feb 05, 2012, 12:03 PM »
hmm zip ties sound like a good idea, gonna have to try that.

Caught two more pike yesterday on my autos. my holder fell over when one of the pike were on. we don't have any snow cover on the ice and i was using an old hole so nothing really anchored it down. i was able to get to the pole before is came out of the holder and everything so that was good. gonna have to design so stabilty feet for the front. think i might just go ahead and drill a hole in the center of the base and use and ice anchor.

i am also looking at painting my autos. what colors do you guys suggest. wasnt sure if i wanted to go dark or not for fear that it would freeze in easier?? but maybe darker would be the way to go. any ideas or suggestions?

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Feb 05, 2012, 12:40 PM »
I've put small eye screws into the bottoms of all my rods to be able to attach lanyards or thin bungies and then anchoring to rod holders or buckets or anything bigger than the hole. I usually fish in large trout waters and have saved my rigs several times.  Lost one nice rig, once and that is all it took.  If it ain't in my hand, it's tied down.  When I get around to stealing some of these great designs, I'll definitely leash them.  Thanks to all the Red Greens on Ice for all the great ideas.
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #56 on: Feb 05, 2012, 01:02 PM »
  Thanks to all the Red Greens on Ice for all the great ideas.

That right there is the highest order compliment.   And it's meant for you guys.

Offline ima-icehole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Feb 13, 2012, 11:41 AM »
heres mine

Offline ima-icehole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Feb 13, 2012, 11:44 AM »
another view

Offline ima-icehole

• IceShanty Rookie