The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Vermont Ice  (Read 4793 times)

Offline VTLakers

• Team IceShanty Regular
Vermont Ice
« on: Dec 05, 2020, 01:37 AM »
Anyone have any safe ice yet? Nothing in the NEK yet

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
Re: Vermont Ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2020, 10:36 AM »
If there's no ice in the NEK, then there's probably isn't ice anywhere else in the state. The Champlain Valley is far from having ice until the weather makes a change. The coming days with highs below 32 and lows in the mid 20s might put a skim over smaller ponds, but then it's back up to lows and highs above freezing. The smaller lakes and ponds of the NEK should freeze up soon, but the Champlain Valley will take some patience. Hopefully the weather takes a turn soon, I'm getting anxious to get on the ice! Cheers!
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline BomoBrown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2020, 10:51 AM »
I am expecting a short season, but I am good with being wrong.

Offline Adam.love05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2020, 10:55 PM »
I Just winterized the boat here.. Probably had a few weeks left but with work and the chance of it getting to cold I figured a little family time is more fitting.. Plus it'll give me a chance to get all the ice stuff pulled out and prepared vs scrambling the first time out..
Got a trip planned to first connecticut lake jan. 22nd.. Looking forward to that as well!

Offline VT snotrocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • God, Guns and Guts made America free!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2020, 03:45 AM »
Looking at the weather here in southern Vermont it looks like it will be awhile for ice. Cant wait to get out this year. Planning on spending as much time on the ice as I can. Im sick of all this Covid stuff.
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.    Winston Churchill

Offline SkunkLuvver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2020, 08:02 AM »
Looking at the weather here in southern Vermont it looks like it will be awhile for ice. Cant wait to get out this year. Planning on spending as much time on the ice as I can. Im sick of all this Covid stuff.
Hey VT snotrocket, I’m with you on all of the above.
Love for me and your cousin Rem to tag along on the setbacks with you sometime this season.. we could use a pike lesson ;)

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2020, 08:05 AM »
Online forecast for NEK looks promising for next week. South Bay, perch ponds etc perhaps by next weekend?
X2 going covid crazy

Offline VTLakers

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2020, 08:36 AM »
Online forecast for NEK looks promising for next week. South Bay, perch ponds etc perhaps by next weekend?
X2 going covid crazy

Southbay now has a layer of ice on it but I'm not sure how thick it is yet. I will be testing it next Tuesday or Wednesday. I hope some of the smaller ponds freeze up soon too. I've had the itch ever since I've seen others in the Midwest posting Ice fishing pictures. Once I spud my way out I'll let you know how thick it is.

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2020, 04:13 PM »
like the forecast for the next few days . bay's will probably skim over

Offline sonny88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2020, 05:45 PM »
It will go below zero here tonight in E. Montpelier. And, it's supposed to be cold the rest of the week. I bet the ponds will be fishable by the weekend.

Offline Ridge Runner Bait

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2020, 01:36 PM »
Curtis Pond at 8:30 am 12/16/2020 ice thickness was 2 1/2 inches of hard black ice, by tonight easily 3 inches.  Love this cold weather!  Also Wrightsville Res. Had 1 1/2 inches of hard black ice.

Offline sonny88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2020, 02:28 PM »
There were people fishing Curtiss Pond this afternoon. I didn't have time to stop and see how much ice. Also, Woodbury, Greenwood and Elmore were all completely frozen over. It will drop into the single digits tonight, so unless we get a lot of snow should be good ice this weekend.

Offline Ridge Runner Bait

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2020, 08:05 AM »
Early this morning (12/17) Jim went to Curtis Pond with safety picks in his pocket using his chisel chopped little holes every 5 yards.  He found good hard black ice, very hard to chop.  He went out 60 to 65 yards. Just as snow began to fall at 3 am it was 12° on truck thermometer, no wind yet.  Hard glare black ice all the way out.  Found 3 3/4" to 4" of ice - no problem .  Jim weighs over 250# fully dressed.  Ice was booming which means it was making more ice. Holes were already frozen over on his way back to truck. Was 16° @ house when he left, was 14° when he got home.  A man stopped and spoke to him @ boat ramp said there was 5°" of good ice  at the far end where it is more shallow.  He was checking on Jim as he saw the truck running, with lights on but no one in vehicle.  It is 9 am now with maybe 4" of snow and blowing wind, will blow lots of snow off ice.  Looking like good weather for ice fishing this weekend .

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2020, 02:52 PM »
Sugggest checking the regs Norton is closed till 3rd Sat in Jan

Offline spb802

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If it's cold I'm on the hard water...
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2020, 05:35 PM »
What TRT said, I’d definitely probably remove the post of you fishing closed waters... ;D
My passion for fishing and hunting, I owe to my Father and Uncle Art. RIP Art Rye, I will cherish all the days on the hard water we spent together and all the days in the woods. Miss you...

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2020, 02:28 PM »
First day of retirement I spent on Curtis with a bud. New warden checked us nice guy, no hassles I look forward to meeting him again. -5 when I left according to my truck, we caught nice mix of perch and pickerel. We each took home A meal. I checked ice everywhere I went consistently 3.75 inches...no more.

Offline sonny88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2020, 04:01 PM »
Sounds like a fun first day of retirement! I'm retiring in March and looking forward to it.

Offline BubbaJunior23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 19, 2020, 02:51 PM »
Hit up Curtis pond this morning. 4-5” everywhere I drilled. About 8 others out there working on the south end. Perch and pickerel were decently active.  Beautiful day on the hard water, glad to finally be back at it.

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2020, 05:26 PM »
I drove by Dunmore and it was almost completely locked up. South end has snow on it...we got around 6 inches the other day. I assume nearby Fern Lake is also frozen. Future weather forecasts will likely dampen down the snow for few days and then freeze again after Christmas.

Offline VTLakers

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 20, 2020, 06:09 AM »
There where about 8-12 people fishing southbay yesterday. I heard there was about 5-6 inches of good ice.

Offline gogetthegaff

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2020, 05:36 PM »
Is there direct access to the north end of Curtis Pond or do you have to travel from the south access?
Ice fishing is a social activity that may occasionally be interrupted by the catching of fish.

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 22, 2020, 07:24 PM »
Is there direct access to the north end of Curtis Pond or do you have to travel from the south access?
The only access is on the south.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.