The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Wheeler on ice  (Read 3263 times)

Offline trapperjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
Wheeler on ice
« on: Dec 09, 2020, 09:23 AM »
Hello again. This is my first year with a wheeler my question is is it worth preparing my wheeler to use on the ice ???.  And how should i prepare it im sure ill need chains. And on average how much of the season does is one able to use a wheeler. TIA 

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Re: Wheeler on ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2020, 09:56 AM »
Hello again. This is my first year with a wheeler my question is is it worth preparing my wheeler to use on the ice ???.  And how should i prepare it im sure ill need chains. And on average how much of the season does is one able to use a wheeler. TIA

Yes on the chains! I recommend aggressive ones.  My Kawasaki 750 is pretty big and hi. Never had issues in moderate snow. Just had to drive around drifts at times. Mostly you’lll be able to use it. I think, after a big snow storm, I waited til the snow settled. Just a couple days and didn’t have any issues. Like I said, though, I’ve got really aggressive diamond chains and my machine sits fairly high.
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Moosekill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2020, 10:18 AM »
It really depends on the winter and where you are.  Some years there is lots of snow on the ice and others none.  Same with slush.  Get the chains regardless.

Offline darby74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2020, 11:42 AM »
No question on the most aggressive chains you can find.  The absolute must (and my King Quad is on tracks) is a dead man to run to your winch.  Just in case you don't know what I mean, a heavy piece of pipe with an attachment ring in the middle to hook your winch to, and drop down a hole.  Winch yourself to the hole, then pull out cable as far as you can (leave a few wraps on the winch, drill another hole, and repeat until you are in the clear.  Don't forget a tag end on the end of the pipe to retrieve from the hole.  Saved my ass a couple of times in nasty slush

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2020, 11:48 AM »
No question on the most aggressive chains you can find.  The absolute must (and my King Quad is on tracks) is a dead man to run to your winch.  Just in case you don't know what I mean, a heavy piece of pipe with an attachment ring in the middle to hook your winch to, and drop down a hole.  Winch yourself to the hole, then pull out cable as far as you can (leave a few wraps on the winch, drill another hole, and repeat until you are in the clear.  Don't forget a tag end on the end of the pipe to retrieve from the hole.  Saved my ass a couple of times in nasty slush
This is a great idea darby74! This will be my next small project!

Thanks smitty :tipup:

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2020, 11:54 AM »

Also, I never had chains on my Atv's. I have two Yamaha kodiak's 450 running bear claw tires and haven't had any real problems getting stuck. Now with that being said and have jinx myself I will be buying 2 sets of chains in the near future!

smitty :tipup:

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2020, 02:04 PM »
I keep v chains at all times but hardly use them. I haven't had much for issues. But it's great to have them when needed. Tight lines and dry feet! Great idea on the deadman!
Fishing is easy. Catching is the hard part.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2020, 02:46 PM »
And on average how much of the season does is one able to use a wheeler. TIA

Never know what mother nature is gonna bring! Some years a wheeler is perfect all season. Some years it doesn't matter what you have, sled or wheeler, if it's a bad slush year then we are all struggling!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2020, 03:24 PM »
I used ice screws for years and never had any traction problems. Last winter I got chains and spent more time spinning wheels than I did with screws. Halfway through winter I removed the chains and switched back to screws. With really aggressive tires the chains get between the lugs and don't make good contact with the ice. With less aggressive tires the chains would probably work much better. I use ice screws in the front tires. too. They help a lot with steering.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2020, 06:55 AM »
Ive seen Machines going along hit a snow ridge and get turned side ways and slide until they hit another dry spot and flip over. Chains and carbides are a must for ice, stay safe

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2020, 08:31 AM »
Ive seen Machines going along hit a snow ridge and get turned side ways and slide until they hit another dry spot and flip over. Chains and carbides are a must for ice, stay safe
SLOW DOWN!!! HAHAHA
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline slamber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2020, 08:48 AM »
Do you leave the screws in year round? Seems like a lot of work to take them on and off every ice season.

Offline slamber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2020, 11:12 AM »
Thanks Snitch. Do you use sheet metal screws or specific traction screws like the Kold Kutters? I'm on the fence about putting the chains on or trying some screws/carbides. It sounds like the screws are worth a try, especially if I don't have to remove them after ice season. Does it tear your tread up when the screws are ripped out, or do they just pop out without much damage to the rubber?

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2020, 12:56 PM »
When the snow covers the ice and slush is possible. if you slow down and get into slush , its the worst night mare youll ever have .   

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2020, 12:59 PM »
When the snow covers the ice and slush is possible. if you slow down and get into slush , its the worst night mare youll ever have .   

I HATE SLUSH... :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!:

It is the Worst in a:
- Wheeler (which I don't have)
- Snowmobile (which I am considering)
- Snowdog (which I have and use)
- Smitty (which I am making)
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2020, 04:17 PM »
Do you leave the screws in year round? Seems like a lot of work to take them on and off every ice season.
I have two sets of tires and rims for my ATV. My winter tires have about 3 times as many Kold Kutter ice screws as anyone needs and my summer tires have none. I know some people who remove the screws every spring and replace them at the beginning of winter and I know others who leave them in the tires all year.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 11, 2020, 07:51 AM »

It is the Worst in a:

I thought you were a Snowdog subscriber to the fullest? Are you finding the Snowdog not ideal for all conditions? I'm asking because I want a Snowdog bad someday!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline darby74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 11, 2020, 08:49 AM »
Actually the worse nightmare you will ever have is driving a Polaris 500 Magnum quad out 12 miles onto Saginaw Bay and run it into a three foot snowdrift.  We had a spud, auger, rods n reels and buckets, that's it!  It took two of use 4 hours to get out.  Or, try riding the same machine through a half mile wide marsh, full of cattails, and hit soup!  That ordeal took me a full day to get out of.  Funny how I can drive that same machine, across a 20ft deep lake, in the summer, but can't go through thick mud or snow, lol.  They are so heavy once you bottom em out, your screwed.  Crossing the lake was easy, the big tires keep you afloat.  You just have to put your feet on the front fenders, stay on the throttle and don't stall it out.  And, yes, I don't recommend that the kids out there try this!!!

I don't know, having your buddy on the dogsled behind you doing 30, hitting slush, and having a WAVE of slush hit him in the chest and literally blow him off into 2' of slush was pretty bad.  He sat in the shack all day in his underwear trying to get warm.  Of course the rest of us felt real bad.....what I would have given to get that on video ;D

Offline trapperjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 11, 2020, 11:40 AM »
WOW learning alot folks ive used kold kutters in my snowblower 😆 and they worked well. Now this is a brand new machine should i take the chance by putting then in new atv tires

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 11, 2020, 08:52 PM »
WOW learning alot folks ive used kold kutters in my snowblower 😆 and they worked well. Now this is a brand new machine should i take the chance by putting then in new atv tires

Yes why not? It won't hurt anything. Just gives you a reason to get some nice wheels and tires in the spring......2 sets your covered year round
Fishing is easy. Catching is the hard part.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 12, 2020, 06:53 AM »

It is the Worst in a:
just get a 20in track sled. my brothers bearcat stays on top in all of the worst slush conditions. i was so impressed i picked up a yam. viking 540 2 weeks ago. go on youtube. plenty of vids showing what they can do. its fan cooled so you dont have to worry about overheating in low snow conditions like liquid does.  pick the track and your golden! ;)

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 12, 2020, 11:15 AM »
With tracks on Ive seen machines get stuck in pressure ridges. I spent 3 hrs getting one out of one on  Sebago years ago. when a light snow covers a pressure and when the ridge opens up a ft or two tracks get in under the ridge  its not a pull out job you have to jack them up and slide back then up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.