Author Topic: Retractable wheels for a shanty...  (Read 7768 times)

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
Retractable wheels for a shanty...
« on: Nov 04, 2002, 03:42 PM »
I saw a program the other day (Babe Winkleman I think) where someone had a retractable wheel system for a shanty. I'm sure this is pretty common out in the great lakes area. Anybody know where I can get some information on this? I am building a 5x8' house...I mean shanty, and I am thinking about adding a set of wheels to it next year. Any info would be great. If you want to see my project.....go to my site.

Thanks

Esox

Offline jdm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
Re: Retractable wheels for a shanty...
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2002, 02:46 PM »
the following website might help. There are several out there, this is the only one I have at the moment. www.shackrack.com The november issue of midwest outdoors has several other distributors. Hope it helps

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2002, 12:30 PM »
I've started this response 3 times now, but I can't seem to get it finished. LOL

Thanks for the info. I saw a few sites with some picks of shantys with wheels. I have not seem a really good pic, but I have the general idea. It look like everybody uses the same style, so I'm thinking I might be able to by the basic parts instead of making them. We will so how it goes. Thanks again.

muskyhunter32

« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2002, 01:25 PM »
This should give you all the info you need.... it is quite a long post but it even has a link to pictures of the finished project. Hope this helps.

http://fishingminnesota.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000989.html

muskyhunter32

« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2002, 01:29 PM »
ok not sure why the link won't work but it's at fishingminnesota    .com   then the ubb ect... if you can't get it email me and I'll send it to you.

Offline NJ_ICE_HUNTER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Come on Cold!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2002, 01:55 PM »
Esox,

I am obviously from Jersey, but I wanted to build a shanty as well this year.  I scratched this idea because shanties are not legal in jersey and I did'nt want to have to drive an hour or two into NY state every time I wanted to use the shanty, so i bought a portable this year,

However, I thought about the retractable wheel idea and decided that if I ever did build a shanty, That I would spring some money for 4 boat trailer swivel jacks and place one on each corner of the shanty.  I figured since they slide over the boat trailer tubes I could somehow fabricate a way for them to bolt on or clamp onto the runners, this way they would swivel up when you wanted to slide the shanty on the ice and also flip them so you can crank the shanty up and down to prevent it from sticking/freezing to the ice.  Probably would just have to put small squares of plywood under the wheels. I think it might work well, so maybe you can give it some thought.

John
NJ ICE HUNTER

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2002, 01:59 PM »
Long?! I guess freakin so..lol   I've read shorter novels. ;D  Thanks for the info......I'll be working on it as a summer project.

muskyhunter32

« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2002, 05:25 AM »
LMAO I told you in was long and involved but it is interesting to see how the thought process and progress went.  Were getting supplies gathered now for our start next summer.  As it stands now I think were going to put the wheels on the inside of the house and build our kitchenette over the wheel wells. The frame we have is 8x16 so why change it. ;D We have 8 insulated glass windows, a new steel house door ( not sure how to frame that in yet) tounge jacks, wheels, springs, now it's time to get the steel for the outside, framing, and plywood for the inside..... woohoo i can almost see myself sitting in it already..LOL

crappie_hunter

« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2002, 04:29 AM »
weh have 4 jacks from a truck camper on ours and when we want to move it we jack it up 2 feet put the trailer under neath and crank it down

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.