Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: What is this  (Read 8988 times)

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: What is this
« Reply #30 on: Jan 19, 2009, 12:13 PM »
I don't think the green sunfish would have a mouth as big as that, though.  I also think the fin pattern goes against the green sunfish more & fits the rock bass or warmouth more.  Another thought.  If the color pattern is changed, who's to say the pigment/coloration of the eye wouldn't change as well.

What are you talking about? It looks exactly like a green sunfish. I have caught 1000's of them some being over 10" long. 
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Bull_Gill_Mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 19, 2009, 01:59 PM »
Green Sunfish, good flathead bait!!

Offline Wally Lindner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 19, 2009, 03:46 PM »
We call them Rubber Tails or Brim.  Depending on the clarity of water the edge of there fins can be bright yellow.  They have a smallmouth bass head with a bluegill body.  They make there spawning beds right beside the bluegills.  Yes they are good catfish bait.

Offline rawfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you smell me cookn you know I'm catchn
« Reply #33 on: Jan 19, 2009, 09:34 PM »
I thought the green sunfish but the mouth was way to big and the pectoral fins are too close to the gill plate. Not a rock bass or a warmouth eyes were not red. Jurys still out

Offline Bull_Gill_Mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 20, 2009, 06:54 AM »
Case closed.... It's a green sunfish.  Go check your local bait shop and take a look they'll have a tank of them during open water.

Offline rawfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 20, 2009, 11:19 AM »
Not a green sunfish. I have caugh hundreds of those. like I said earlier mouth way to big and the pectoral fins are not even close to the gill plates.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 20, 2009, 11:24 AM »
Bluegill and bass cant cross... Try again.

Maybe not in the wild but it's been done in a petri dish. Very low survival upon hatch.

Looks like a green sunfish to me but the pic could be better. 
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Bull_Gill_Mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 20, 2009, 12:15 PM »
Not a green sunfish. I have caugh hundreds of those. like I said earlier mouth way to big and the pectoral fins are not even close to the gill plates.

Green sunnies have rather large mouths, can't see fins that well. You should have frozen this hybrid alien fish for future examination........  You might have a fish named after you!!   ;D

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 20, 2009, 02:50 PM »
IA

I LOVE CRAPPIES!!!

« Reply #30 on: Jan 19, 2009, 01:13 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: MelroseHawkins on Jan 19, 2009, 12:58 PM
I don't think the green sunfish would have a mouth as big as that, though.  I also think the fin pattern goes against the green sunfish more & fits the rock bass or warmouth more.  Another thought.  If the color pattern is changed, who's to say the pigment/coloration of the eye wouldn't change as well.

What are you talking about? It looks exactly like a green sunfish. I have caught 1000's of them some being over 10" lon

You would think after catching 1000's of them, you would notice the mouth.  :)   There is no sunfish with a mouth that large.

Offline Bull_Gill_Mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 20, 2009, 03:11 PM »
IA

I LOVE CRAPPIES!!!

« Reply #30 on: Jan 19, 2009, 01:13 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: MelroseHawkins on Jan 19, 2009, 12:58 PM

What are you talking about? It looks exactly like a green sunfish. I have caught 1000's of them some being over 10" lon

You would think after catching 1000's of them, you would notice the mouth.  :)   There is no sunfish with a mouth that large.
Do an image search on yahoo for green sunfish, you will find plenty of examples of the large mouth.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #40 on: Jan 20, 2009, 03:34 PM »
I have caught them with mouths big enough to hit a rapala DT10.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 20, 2009, 04:04 PM »
Green Sunfish Picture

Green Sunfish are found throughout the Mississippi Drainage. Green sunfish can grow to two pounds but most are less than a pound. They have been widely introduced outside of their natural range. Most often caught when fishing for other bream (sunfish).

Green Sunfish can be distinguished from other sunfish by the bluish-green with emerald and yellow reflections, with a white or yellow belly. The Green Sunfish does not have as deeply compressed a body as most other sunfish ( bream ), its body more closely resembles that of the google-eye / warmouth. The mouth is also much larger than most other sunfish and the gill flap is dark with a white to yellow edge. Sometimes there are several black vertical bars on the sides and usually there is a black spot at the rear of the dorsal fin.

Found this on a site.  I may have to surrender.  I'm man enough if I do.  Going to check around for some more. Could it be an albino green sunfish?

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Jan 20, 2009, 04:06 PM »
I would have to say it is a green sunfish. Not a warmouth. Not a hybrid.

Iowa State Record - 2 pound 1 ounce,

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline Bull_Gill_Mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 21, 2009, 01:42 PM »
"Could it be an albino green sunfish?

Your kidding right?  ;D

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 21, 2009, 03:39 PM »
About as much as you wanting to drive on Brinker Lake which one could literally skip a stone across. To those interested, see George Wyth thread for a chuckle.

Offline Bull_Gill_Mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 21, 2009, 03:56 PM »
Across a 134 acre lake??  Evidently I'm not the only one that does not have your super human powers of stone skipping and sled pulling. I won't even get into your scientific knowledge of the albino green sunfish.... :laugh: :laugh:

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 21, 2009, 04:32 PM »
"134 acre lake??" 

Nuff said!!!!   134 acres.

Offline Bull_Gill_Mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 21, 2009, 04:52 PM »
"134 acre lake??" 

Nuff said!!!!   134 acres.

Whatever HEMAN..... you crack me up.  Good luck this year     8) 

Offline KrappieSlayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 21, 2009, 11:09 PM »
Across a 134 acre lake??  Evidently I'm not the only one that does not have your super human powers of stone skipping and sled pulling. I won't even get into your scientific knowledge of the albino green sunfish.... :laugh: :laugh:

:clap: :thumbsup:

Pool 9 Pro

Offline Bull_Gill_Mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 22, 2009, 07:34 AM »

I caught this little guy last night on George Wyth....  Look Familiar??

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 22, 2009, 08:37 AM »
Yes it does!  That solves that. I bet you got a chuckle when that came up the hole.

Offline Bull_Gill_Mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 22, 2009, 08:45 AM »
Yeah I did!!! Had to get a picture of him   :o

Offline hotrod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 22, 2009, 10:02 AM »
another vote for Green Sunfish, and yes, they do have BIG MOUTHS.

"I never go ice fishing without my Vexilar" ~Dave Genz
www.fishingwithtoddree d.com

Offline rawfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 22, 2009, 10:17 AM »
Thats good stuff. We will call it a green sunfish. The one in the first picture was caught at Aquabi.

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Jan 22, 2009, 10:26 AM »
A few older pics of green sunnies ive caught a few years back.  Cant really see their mouths but they are quite large compared to a gill's mouth.  Both these greenies were at or slightly above 9" and one of them was caught on a tip up and it ate a whole minnow.

Rawfish,

Did the fish that you caught have a red semicircle on the outside of the black ear flap?  If that is the case the fish you have might of been a redear since they are in that lake too.  I cant really see from the picture but if there was a bit of red on the black gill flap then it would have been a redear.

Offline Bull_Gill_Mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 22, 2009, 10:40 AM »
Thats good stuff. We will call it a green sunfish. The one in the first picture was caught at Aquabi.
                                                             He must of knew we were talking about him  :laugh:

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #56 on: Jan 22, 2009, 03:23 PM »
A few older pics of green sunnies ive caught a few years back.  Cant really see their mouths but they are quite large compared to a gill's mouth.  Both these greenies were at or slightly above 9" and one of them was caught on a tip up and it ate a whole minnow.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Rawfish,

Did the fish that you caught have a red semicircle on the outside of the black ear flap?  If that is the case the fish you have might of been a redear since they are in that lake too.  I cant really see from the picture but if there was a bit of red on the black gill flap then it would have been a redear.

Both of those were blugill/green sunfish hybrids. You can tell by the pattern on the body. A true blue sunfish will have horizontal markings and no odd ball markings like in those 2 pictures. The second one you can definatly tell it is a hybrid right away. Had to look back at the first one.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline therealjt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh i wish i was a fishing
« Reply #57 on: Jan 23, 2009, 07:16 AM »

i fish ahquabi regularly in the spring and summer, fly fish for gils early and crappie almost the rest of the time. i have only caught one of those in the 3 years i have been down there...

jt

Offline rawfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 23, 2009, 10:27 AM »
The fish pictured bove are not the same thing the are way too tall.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #59 on: Jan 23, 2009, 03:29 PM »
The fish pictured bove are not the same thing the are way too tall.

Those were not the same thing. Those were hybrids not green sunfish.
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.