Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: IGL UPDATES...NEW THREAD....  (Read 12370 times)

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
IGL UPDATES...NEW THREAD....
« on: Nov 25, 2008, 03:54 PM »
SO...are there huts up there still??  Has the ice deteriorated, grown, or stayed the same???

In other words:  Should I pack up all my gear for t-giving.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: IGL UPDATES...NEW THREAD....
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2008, 06:16 PM »
Can't help ya there, work keeps me busy daylight till dark. Heard there were a few shacks out on Upper Gar today but 2nd hand info.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2008, 07:51 PM »
What about Minnewasta?

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2008, 07:53 PM »
Its froze but haven't seen anyone out yet.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2008, 10:04 AM »
The Grade 11/26/08. Lots of dinks still but some niceones. Also threw back quite a few keepable blugills.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2008, 11:55 AM »
How big was the crappie????

Offline jmvsmv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2008, 01:51 PM »
Is the ice still thick enough at the grade nafter the sunny days lately, about how thick?  Thinking about hitting the grade Saturday or Sunday, wondering if it is/will be thick enough for us to go.  Anyone checked at anglers lately.   Mr. Seaguar-  Still big numbers being caught,  and would you mind sharing what you are using, do you have to go small?  We were catching perch on the main lake with pilkies and such last weekend,  are they the same on the grade too, or smaller baits up there?  Thanks

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2008, 07:10 AM »
Yo,

I'm going to be up aath the grade later this afternoon / early morning.   They are fast and small...caught about 100 wed.  Yesterday hit upper gar - slower bite / bigger fish.  Say hi to me if you get up there....Silver expedition with NE plates...I wear strikemaster bibs (red and black)...otter sled in green but probably won't be set up.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline jmvsmv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2008, 10:14 AM »
Mama  decided she wanted to do some christmas shopping so i am home with my boys today,  not sure i am ready to bring them on the ice today yet,  so i will be out there tomorrow,    where on upper gar did you go and how thick was the ice?  Thanks for the report on the ice at the grade, and good luck out there today.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2008, 07:20 PM »
Joke this morning...fished Grade..saw 30-40 perch on my camera at a time...the whole time.  Lockjaw and tiny fish.  LOL...waiting til the main lakes get ice to come back up...upper gar at lease had some decent fish in there, you just had to move a lot.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2008, 09:19 PM »
Boji was you and a buddy at Shucks about 4:14 last Wensday???

Offline jmvsmv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2008, 12:10 AM »
Spent the day on the grade on sunday.  Started out on top of the dink perch everyone has been talking about.  Kept moving and stumbled upon some gills and perch.  Lots of numbers and a lot of sorting.  Tons of dinks both perch and gills,  kept 10 fish total, but it was great to be back on the ice.  Lots of shacks both there and templar in the morning, pretty much everywhere we drilled was 4 inches or so.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2008, 06:20 AM »
That crappie was about 12 1/4". Looked like a dinner plate coming thru the hole. The perch was almost 13".  I had to fish about 2' off bottom to get away from most of the babies. I was using eveyones old holes. Just moving moving moving. Sounds weatherwise like eveything is gonna get safe here soon. Highs in the 20s for a couple days will put some ice on West.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2008, 08:03 AM »
Boji was you and a buddy at Shucks about 4:14 last Wensday???

Not I...my brother and I stopped in to bust Flugers chops around 11:30 on Friday AM.  Got some waxies and some propane I didn't need. 

Need some cold guys!!  I want to get that ATV out!!  Saw a guy on upper with an ATV...smaller one like a little Foreman or something.  Still...that ice was iffy for that weight - at best.  The perch I got at Upper Gar got my juices flowing to drill holes and pluck perch.  It was a nice chubby one for sure.

Offline jacobh73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 01, 2008, 11:38 AM »
I was on Upper on Sat. didn't see a single fish. Moved a couple of time. I also seen the guy with the four wheeler. Thought that was a little brave. If it gets cold this week Ill bring mine next weekend. Anyone hear if anglers is frozen yet?

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2008, 11:58 AM »
I was on Upper on Sat. didn't see a single fish. Moved a couple of time. I also seen the guy with the four wheeler. Thought that was a little brave. If it gets cold this week Ill bring mine next weekend. Anyone hear if anglers is frozen yet?

I heard there was a guy out on Anglers...bucket sitting.  Yes, you had to move plenty to find fish.  I drilled maybe 40 holes...fished them down and back to my starting point.  Saw some smaller gills.  The large perch ram rodded that bait...very positive.  Smaller fish were neutral to negative - some even ran from a jigged bait.  So they are either not very hungry or very very smart.  LOL...

Offline NE BASS MAN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 01, 2008, 02:30 PM »
Im from omaha, and Im thinking about making a tip up to the IGL's in the next week or two because the ice down here may not be there yet ( thinking maybe the weekend of the 20th for us ) but thats too long.  I want to be on the ice next weekend, my question is, i really know nothing of the area and was wondering if any of you nice people would be my guide if I come up?  Don't need anything spectacular just wanna catch some fish.  Oh yeah, and I will not get on ice less than 4 inches thick, who can help me?  Thank you all in advance.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 01, 2008, 05:58 PM »
Guess if theres been a Quad out my shack should be safe LOL. I'll be out this weekend, not sure when or where yet. Never iced Upper yet may give it a try for giggles. Saw 1 shack on Minne when we went to Spirit Sunday for groceries.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 01, 2008, 08:29 PM »
Guess if theres been a Quad out my shack should be safe LOL. I'll be out this weekend, not sure when or where yet. Never iced Upper yet may give it a try for giggles. Saw 1 shack on Minne when we went to Spirit Sunday for groceries.

Saw him too.  Out on the south near the foot bridge.  I was thinking about that lake.  Would be nice to know how he did.  The fish I hit on Saturday were very negative...front style negative. 

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 01, 2008, 08:33 PM »
Im from omaha, and Im thinking about making a tip up to the IGL's in the next week or two because the ice down here may not be there yet ( thinking maybe the weekend of the 20th for us ) but thats too long.  I want to be on the ice next weekend, my question is, i really know nothing of the area and was wondering if any of you nice people would be my guide if I come up?  Don't need anything spectacular just wanna catch some fish.  Oh yeah, and I will not get on ice less than 4 inches thick, who can help me?  Thank you all in advance.

I think I'm going to hold off one more weekend...until I can drive my ATV.  Any time I'm up there I don't mind having company...

Offline jacobh73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 01, 2008, 09:39 PM »
I'm hoping there is enough ice this weekend to take my ATV out on the ice 6" should be enough. hope it gets cold

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 02, 2008, 07:25 AM »
I'm hoping there is enough ice this weekend to take my ATV out on the ice 6" should be enough. hope it gets cold

good luck...be safe!  I have seen a lot of rim freezing...so you may find a lot more by shore than out in the middle...opposite of late season.  I would drill holes on the way out and travel near the shore.  Mine weighs over 1000 pounds with me on it, so I'm lookng for at least 7 if not 8 inches.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 02, 2008, 08:09 AM »
My rubicon is gonna hit the ice this weekend.  The perm shack might be going out too. Could be sleeping on the ice this weekend. :thumbsup:

Offline bus33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 02, 2008, 08:47 AM »
My rubicon is gonna hit the ice this weekend.  The perm shack might be going out too. Could be sleeping on the ice this weekend. :thumbsup:

That's what I drive so let me know if you get it out.  I may make the trek to clear this weekend.  Good Luck!

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 02, 2008, 10:08 AM »
http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/ATV/2008Navigation/2Up/Sportsman800EFITouring/Pages/Overview.aspx

NEW IN BOX (ALMOST - 30 MILES)  Put a GPS mount, racks front and rear, auger mount, windshield, 2000 pound winch, and chains for all 4 tires. 

So tell me I'm not pumped!!!!!!!!  I want to grab a fistful of that bad boy and bakery truck it across any and all lakes.  Set up mounts for camera and vex transducer off the fenders to sit n fish on it.  I'm still trying to figure out a way to use the winch to raise and lower my camera...a 3 point for the auger would be a bonus...then hire someone to fish for me....LOL.

Offline jacobh73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 02, 2008, 11:56 AM »
I know what you mean. Just got mine this year. 400 Artic Cat, got a winch and a plow to go with it. used the plow once. Cant wait to get it on the ice. Has anyone had problems not using chains on the ice most people i see don't have chains. I know I didn't have any problem plowing snow without them.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 02, 2008, 12:40 PM »
probably not necessary...but neither is an underater camera, GPS, or 90% of the other stuff I bought.  So...necessary doesn't matter.  LOL...

I got a fitted polaris towing cover for it...didn't want that pretty red all scratched up.  LOL....

Offline NE BASS MAN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 02, 2008, 01:57 PM »
how much ice do you guys have on those lakes right now?

Offline bus33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 02, 2008, 01:59 PM »
I know what you mean. Just got mine this year. 400 Artic Cat, got a winch and a plow to go with it. used the plow once. Cant wait to get it on the ice. Has anyone had problems not using chains on the ice most people i see don't have chains. I know I didn't have any problem plowing snow without them.

I have never had to use chains on mine.  I would say in deeper snow maybe you would but most of the lakes in Iowa don't get that much snow on them and if they do it blows enough that it hardens up. 

Offline crappieangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 02, 2008, 04:41 PM »
I fished Gar on Sat. for an hour couple smaller perch, saw the guy on the 4-wheeler.  That guy was pretty lazy, I didn't see him get off the thing he'd just plop his bait in other holes and jig and move to the next every few minutes.  Fished Grade Sunday from 10-1 and like all the rest caught smaller perch 7-8" and a couple nicer ones but all went back down the hole.  Tried Templar on the way home for 15 min. and same thing a couple smaller perch and one decent 9.5".  Fished central ia pond today and got tons of small gills 6-8".  After an hr the ice under me started moving so I headed out b/c half the ice was frozen slush and I didn't know what to think.  Hope we build some ice tonight and the rest of the week looks good for building ice.  Hope to hit some bigger water this weekend.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.