Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Getting ready for ice.... What do you do???  (Read 1944 times)

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Getting ready for ice.... What do you do???
« on: Aug 29, 2016, 11:09 PM »
The past few weeks I have started getting ready for ice season and I have come to a few conclusions. The first is that I have changed the way I ice fish substantially over the years. I have moved away from a sit on a bucket on a small pond and wait for them to come to me method, to a run and gun more mobile large lake method that has taught me to think differently and requires lighter and much more mobile equipment. Don't get me wrong I will still sit on a small pond and hammer em, but I love the run and gun. Second conclusion is.... I have ALOT of extra equipment, at last count I'm sitting on 4 shacks, 3 augers, 5 sets of electronics, 3 underwater cameras, 15 ice rods and reels, many many shack accessories and more jigs/lures than i would ever want to count (and i just ordered some more tungsten lol) etc etc etc. Heck I could probably have a ice fishing/fishing only garage sale and fill 3-4 large tables with stuff i haven't used in the past couple years. It's not junk, but i just don't use some of it anymore. I have given some away just trying and pay it forward and promote the sport and even sold a little bit too. I do get a little sentimental about some of my older stuff but i think this fall somethings gonna have to give or I'm going to need another shed. Anyway, I can't be the only one with this issue.... So,I'm curious, what does everyone do with the ice fishing stuff that you really don't use much anymore???

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Getting ready for ice.... What do you do???
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2016, 09:00 AM »
what does everyone do with the ice fishing stuff that you really don't use much anymore???

Easy enough, I bring it with me any way cuz you neeeevvvveeerr knooooww....  ;D

Offline BigSling

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2016, 03:24 PM »
So,I'm curious, what does everyone do with the ice fishing stuff that you really don't use much anymore???

If I don't have a friend/family member who can use it, I sell it to buy new stuff. It's a vicious cycle.

Offline hookset81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Aug 30, 2016, 03:45 PM »
I would think you could sell about anything that isn't totally outdated, especially electronics, rods, shacks, etc.  There are also ways to donate it to organizations that do fishing derby type events for kids and veterans.

I may be interested in a shack or vex depending on what you have, let me know if you want to part ways with anything.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Aug 30, 2016, 03:58 PM »
I sell it to get get better upgraded equipment.but seem to hoard my fishing equipment.haha.i go to garage  sales every week and cant resist good deals but sooner or later I got to recoup my money and get rid of extras like my closet full of ice augers or massive collection of tip ups.ive been buying guitars,bass and mandolins lately to keep my mind off buying fishing gear.

Offline EricB86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 01, 2016, 07:10 AM »
I give it away usually to friends and family!!!

Offline iowapackfan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 04, 2016, 02:14 PM »
I'm not understanding the problem here, how exactly does one have TOO much fishing equipment?
God,Country, and the Green Bay Packers

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 07, 2016, 12:44 PM »
I feel your pain.  The first step to solving the problem is admitting you have one!

I have a problem (my wife calls it an addiction).

Now, I would love to part with some of my stuff.  The problem is deciding what to part with.  I can't part with the cheap stuff because I have kids and don't need them breaking my good stuff.  Right now I guess it's a cycle I'm not ready to resolve.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 07, 2016, 01:05 PM »
to choose not to choose means you've still made a choice... good choice ;D

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 07, 2016, 02:44 PM »
I don't hunt, so I usually just get the shakes and cold sweats until it happens.. Last season was a total rip off and I've never had as bad as I do right now..

<°)))>{

Offline iowapackfan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 29, 2016, 08:27 AM »

I don't hunt, so I usually just get the shakes and cold sweats until it happens.. Last season was a total rip off and I've never had as bad as I do right now..

<°)))>{
;D ;D I hear ya. Spent a wad last year on ice fishing equip. and only got out 3 times due to warm winter. Sure as h-ll hope we have better weather this winter but I'm not holding my breath. Predictions for this winter don't sound real good either. @) @)
God,Country, and the Green Bay Packers

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 29, 2016, 11:34 AM »
Well since Late August I have been Liquidating most of the "excess items" that I accumulated over the years. I'm not 100% there yet but thanks to a Garage sale and craigslist and just plain old giving it away I have managed to make a decent dent in the over flow. I also did some work to my 1 man Eskimo flip and installed my extra voyager chair and some rod holders and a few other things that I had been holding on to. I also posted a nice FL-20 here that I have gotten nibbles on but I'm wanting to sell locally. Hope every one else's pre-season is going well too  :tipup:  Shoney

Offline Norhawk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2016, 02:18 PM »
For me to get ready for this season I just need to make sure all of my batteries are charged and final put my Otter together! looking forward to break it in on the ice this year!

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 09, 2016, 11:31 PM »
Norhawk,you'll love that otter. Haven't wanted to fish out of anything else since I bought mine. But buying an ice castle this year so that'll change
OEF vet Cco 2/505th PIR 82nd airborne division

Offline Norhawk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 10, 2016, 12:22 PM »
Norhawk,you'll love that otter. Haven't wanted to fish out of anything else since I bought mine. But buying an ice castle this year so that'll change

I am definitely looking forward to using the Otter! The Ice Castle is quite the upgrade!

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 10, 2016, 11:01 PM »
Ice Castle??? Yep i would call that a ultimate upgrade...

Offline Wavfire06

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 11, 2016, 06:54 PM »
I buy more ice gear
If u can read my coat u are to close

Offline sparkee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 12, 2016, 08:53 AM »
^^^^^^ :) Me too, Spend $$$$$$$^^^^^^

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 13, 2016, 09:18 PM »
Ice Castle??? Yep i would call that a ultimate upgrade...

😎

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.