Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Lake Cornelia  (Read 10040 times)

Offline c.r.rick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing and hunting ducks and bucks
Re: Lake Cornelia
« Reply #30 on: Jan 11, 2015, 09:16 AM »
I agree bates I hate seeing yellows where they don't belong.  Only place I think they belong is on the shore with carp for the birds and coons to eat. 
early to bed early to rise fish like h.e.l.l. and think up lies.

Offline mrmike113

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 11, 2015, 06:37 PM »
Anybody drive out. Want to get my permie out this week. 13 inch's pretty much every
 where u drilled?

Offline crappie98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 11, 2015, 08:36 PM »
For guys having a hard time getting the yellows here.  I was using a pink/white VMC tungsten jig the last time out tipped with 2 spikes.  I would catch 10 yellows to my buddies 1 and he was using waxies.  They for some reason like the spikes.  Granted a lot of them were small, but it didn't matter they all went in the pail.

Offline SouthBear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 20, 2015, 01:22 PM »
Anybody been out lately? I have never fished this lake before I'm heading there Thursday.

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 20, 2015, 03:07 PM »
I'm heading out tommorow, I'll update tommorow. Drill a ton of holes and keep moving. Cutbait/spikes or Slender Spoons seem to work best. Assuming you're targeting yellows

Offline jiggerjohn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 20, 2015, 03:48 PM »
 hope to hear a good report. fun lake to take the kids when they are on a chew!

Offline SouthBear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 21, 2015, 11:35 AM »
Thanks for the tips. Someone told me Elm lake used to have perch but it completely froze 4-5 years ago? Does anybody fish Elm? Not worth the time?

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 21, 2015, 06:25 PM »
Really slow today. Kept a dozen yellows in 2 hours. Marked fish in every hole...Only caught them out of one hole. Lots of suspended fish...Not sure what they were. Few holes would just have 3 feet of solid red susPender about 5-10 ft. Off bottom...Fished in 15-17 fo

Offline crappie98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 21, 2015, 08:25 PM »
I would bet all the suspended fish were yellows.  If you used waxies they probably didn't bite the best.  Seems they are biting the best on spikes there this year. 

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 21, 2015, 08:53 PM »
Most likely...They'd chase er up but refused to bite...and yea wad using spikes on a single drop or mud bug....Marked tons of fish just couldn't get em to bite. Couldn't get any size to them either...the 12 I kept were about 6.5"...And threw prolly 30 3-4" on the ice. Hopefully they pick up this weekend

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 24, 2015, 06:38 PM »
Fish shallow. Kept about 40 yellows fishing 9-13 fo. Anything deeper then 15 Is just those dink yellows. Fished the deeper wafer for 2 hours starting off...Solid 3-5 feet of fish in every hole...Suspended about 5 ft. Off bottom...All little 3 inch yellows. Absolute ridicoulous. You'll find the piles of little yellows I left behind on the ice ;D
Fished in about 7 ft. And manged to catch about a dozen crappie/bluegill/perch...All released...Not too much size...Few oks. Caught everything off cutbait. Rumor is they're going to kill off the lake this spring...Anyone else heard of this?

Offline crappie98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 24, 2015, 10:06 PM »
I heard a rumor as well they were going to kill it off, but if that is true they normally open the lake up to no regs on the fish so you can clean it out first.

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 24, 2015, 10:20 PM »
Have two questions for y'all
Anyone ever fish south of the boat ramp? Been ice fishing Cornelia for 3 years and only seen 2 shacks south of the boat ramp and they were permies...Anyone know why? It just due to being no access on that side of the lake or not much structure? Trying to decide if its worth the walk or not...I know there isn't much for depth but maybe that's were our normal fish populaton hangs out (Anything excluding yellows)

And is anyone catching anything other then yellows? Besides the occasional panfish...Anyone getting into an actual mess of panfish....Or even a walleye or cat? Not asking for spots...Just curious if anyones targeting anything other then those pesky yellows

Offline crappie98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 25, 2015, 06:58 PM »
I have just been catching the occasional gill along with all the dinky yellows.  I know there are still some decent eyes in there, but to get to them and have them bite is a challenge I don't know how to do as of now.  Used to catch some dang nice perch in the lake to, before who ever the idiot was that released the yellows in it.

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 25, 2015, 07:30 PM »
Caught a 25 1/2 this spring just in the marina bluegill fishing...Friends limited out along with several 20+ trolling last fall. With the yellows as forage...It's just hard to get one to eat anything...They're already stuffed on yellers ;D

Offline crappie98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 26, 2015, 08:52 PM »
well if they don't kill it off I might just have to try some trolling over there this summer.  Problem is it is like clear lake.  If it is windy the lake sucks to fish.

Offline Muddy Waters

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 29, 2015, 09:03 PM »
They (DNR) will not be killing the lake off , straight from the fishery biologist that manages the lake.  The biggest problem to overcome would be the cabin owners around the lake would have to be on board for "dewatering" and that won't happen anytime soon I would imagine.

Offline mrmike113

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Jan 30, 2015, 05:03 PM »
The lake doesnt need killed off .There is still a lot of other fish in there beside little yellows. It wasnt that long ago i took a 10.2 walleye. This winter me and my buddies have probably taken 10 limits of gills.And let that many small ones go. i have been fishing it for over forty years.  2 years ago we caught over 2000 yellows 7 1/2 plus.

Offline Muddy Waters

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 31, 2015, 09:28 AM »
Just trying to quash the rumor mill about killing the lake off Mike.  You caught so many yellows because of your "posh" ice house accommodations.

Offline crappie98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 31, 2015, 08:17 PM »
What would help a little, very little, would be to have a yellow bass contest.  Do a 8 hour tournament, and the contest is by weight of the yellows.  They could probably rid of 10000 fish in one day.  Just a thought.

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 31, 2015, 10:18 PM »
Or a 3 day yellow bass tournament  ;D ;) I've cleaned at least 500 so far this year just from Cornelia alone. Ran into a guy the other day pulling off fishing on the south side of the lake and he had a bucket full of em.  Seems they're thick in all sections of the lake.

Offline oldman60

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Feb 04, 2015, 07:06 PM »
thinking about here theis sat. was wondering is there a bait in town and if its open sat. morning
 ???

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Feb 04, 2015, 07:09 PM »
Belmond's True Value has wax worms. Usually I fish a spookln or plastic until I catch one then switch over the cutbait if you're targeting yellows

Offline oldman60

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Feb 05, 2015, 06:44 AM »
thanks for the info :tipup:

Offline ICEHOUND22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Feb 05, 2015, 08:44 AM »
What kind of " cut bait" do you guys recommend? I here those yellows are tasty and it looks like decent weather this weekend I may head
 up there and give them a try.

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Feb 05, 2015, 04:06 PM »

Not sure if I'm supposed to share this on the site..Remember reading something about not posting about guides but Skip to 3:10 in the video. The cut bait is just a basic thin strip of neck meat. The yellows at Cornelia are stunted. Don't expect a whole lot of size. I usually keep 6+". They max about 7.5" out there. Plenty of meat on a 7" yellow. lots of little 3 inch yellows...If your vex is covered, they follow and refuse to hit then they most likely will be little 3 inch dinks. Same as in if all you're catching is dinks out of a hole..It's time to move. Keep mobile, drill a ton of holes and don't be afraid to fish away from the crowd. Dont hesitate to fill a bucket up with em. The lake is beyond filled, I've cleaned easily 500 if not more so far this year out of Cornelia alone just this ice season and every time in out there's guys with buckets filled with em. I keep em all and either get as much meat as k can per fish or the little dinks get fed to the cats. Good luck!

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Feb 05, 2015, 05:21 PM »
What's awesome about the cut yellows is, not just yellows will eat it.  I use it to catch a mixed bag of species at a local gravel pit, summer especially.  I troll Mepps type spinners in shallow water much of the year and I rarely need to switch to minnows or other baits. I've tried to freeze some and use it later, but it seems like it works the best fresh.

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Feb 05, 2015, 05:53 PM »
Agreed^
Caught a mess of crappies earlier this year just on cutbait.
along with several eyes, gills, perch, and cats that cruise by while yellow fishing.

Offline ICEHOUND22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Feb 06, 2015, 12:21 PM »
Awesome! Thanks for the advice. Now I just need time to try it!!

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Feb 07, 2015, 06:48 AM »
When fishing them in the summer time I cut a V notch out of the throat.  Its a little bigger then put it on about a #6 aberdeen hook.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.