Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Conceding to Mother Nature (for now)  (Read 1115 times)

Offline graybeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
Conceding to Mother Nature (for now)
« on: Dec 27, 2011, 06:18 PM »
 I've had my shack and gear sitting in my shed taking up space for almost a month now. I'm tired of walking around it and moving it.   >:(  The gear went back up in the rafters today, and the shack is going up tomorrow. :'( Maybe that will be enough to change the weather.  I can get it back down mighty fast if we get some cold weather one of these days.
I'd rather be :icefish:

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
Re: Conceding to Mother Nature (for now)
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2011, 10:14 PM »
I cant believe this weather thought I was only one frusterated about the weather .Been ice fishing in southern iowa for 20+ years here never seen a year like this but im going to drive north til i find good ice . Hope you get good ice soon
Never to many short poles

Offline tigerhawkfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2011, 11:43 PM »
sad to hear graybeard..... :( mine has been sitting there stairing at me.  My daughter walked into the living room the other day when I had my poles out and pretending to fish, and asked what is was doing, I said "dreaming" ;D

Offline Bryan in iowa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2011, 08:26 AM »
Mine is still stored away . Hopefully soon .Guess can't complain too much  got basement open under house yet. 2 weeks and it can freeze hard !!!  I do remember years ago  deer hunting at cabin north of Cedar Rapids ,,open water Jan 8th , temp dropped big time over night , 3-4 inchs of ice next morning on good sized pond.  so far this weather has saved me $700  ,,,kept me from buying new LX7 lol

Offline Russbone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2011, 09:53 AM »
I'm getting angry. I have been yelling at the TV everytime I watch the weather forecast... I don't know what to do without ice fishing!

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2011, 10:12 AM »
I'm hoping Northern Iowa's ice can hang on so I can go a couple more times...if this weather doesn't change my cycling friends are going to drag me out for a ride and then I might not get back into the ice fishing mindset ???

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2011, 10:53 AM »
Have not had least twinge to get shanties out for weeks.
Usually Black Friday thing to do.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline hotrod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2011, 11:17 AM »
I hear you all, very frustrating around the Marshalltown area.  I think most lakes around here will be opened back up after this weekend.

Maybe that will be good to get a fresh start on the ice.  I guess I am lucky to have made it out 3 times?!?!?!?
"I never go ice fishing without my Vexilar" ~Dave Genz
www.fishingwithtoddree d.com

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2011, 11:46 AM »
Hahhah I thought I was the only one yelling at the weather forecasts............T hrew almost every 4 letter letter word in the book at it think theyre gonna have to start writing a new book. 

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2011, 12:30 PM »
I am glad my budget didn't allow me to get any big-ticket items for ice-fishing this year, so that is one bright side to this horrible "winter" we've had so far.

Offline iceman1267

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2011, 06:31 PM »
Blame me guys I bought a used sled this year to pull all my gear, would trade it to Mother Nature for good ice if she is interested.

Offline fishwater45

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2011, 06:51 PM »
about ready to lose it...this brother needs some ice before I go mental.

Offline Woody61

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2011, 07:42 PM »
I did make it out yesterday but left the new strike lite at home.(I'm guilty of jinxing too because of big ticket purchase) not looking like I'll be out anytime soon although next week has a few cold days in the forcast then back into the upper 30s again. Maybe we could sacrifice a virgin or something. :-\

Offline phil c

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 28, 2011, 08:41 PM »
I think its the big ticket curse as well! I bought a new(to me) power auger so i wouldnt have to turn my shoulders insideout drilling holes when my kids go with me! I'm to paranoid to do marginal ice, so I'm stuck untill whenever. And yes I do yell at the weather guy!
On the upside, I do work outside and not having to breaktrail through butt deep drifts all day is good.

BUT I NEED SOME DANGED IIIIIICCCCCEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 28, 2011, 09:24 PM »
Hate to think I have jinked us but have been using spoon and hand augers for years and last year we had 19" of ice so I bought a z51 8" this year . I have been buying this since april new hut auger vexilar fl20 and vexilar camera 2 saint croxs and power noodle 28" 2 meat sticks poles  new little buddy heater otter sled . Spent too much to leave it unused heading north to clear lake next week . Anyone up that way no any good spots to fish up there.PM me please @ [email protected] Please and thank you .
Never to many short poles

Offline Derek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 29, 2011, 12:17 PM »
Maybe we could sacrifice a virgin or something. :-\

Those are hard to come by these days

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 29, 2011, 12:36 PM »
Dunno if our ice will make it thru this warm period.  It's getting worse day by day.  No refreeze whatsoever going on at nite.

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 29, 2011, 12:49 PM »
Ever since this crappy weather has been around, I've been looking at weather websites...now I'm not a weather expert by any means and I'm just repeating what they are saying but...

A couple of things need to happen but the weather models are predicting a change in the weather pattern in the 15 to 20 day forecast, so colder weather is ahead but they can't predict for how long. The 12 to 15 day forecast is calling for lows in the singles digits and highs below freezing so cross your fingers and hope this pattern will hold for a little while and get that gear ready to go.

Oh and be careful...bring ALL of your safety equipment out on the ice.

Offline Russbone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 29, 2011, 05:24 PM »
I looked back to when I went the first time last season. Looks like Dec. 17th so we're almost 2 weeks later now, and easily looks like it could be 3-4 weeks behind last season... 15 day forecast looks a little better though. Google "arctic oscillation" and you will get a better understanding of why it has been so mild.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 29, 2011, 06:58 PM »
Last year I was ice fishing Nov 24th.  Think we drove trucks out the 13th of December.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.