Author Topic: Cheap, simple idea to help find your jig on an underwater camera  (Read 1800 times)

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
I ordered up a water activated flashing LED.  I think I paid about a dollar for it on Ebay.  The thing works awesome.  As soon as it makes contact with water, it starts flashing; about 1x per second.  Take it out of the water and it stops.  It uses the water to close a connection and start the flasher.  I added an aligator clip to it and just clip it on my jig and it makes finding your jig in stained water much easier.  The LED flasher is about the size of the end of your thumb and is waterproof to something like 300 feet.  Just an idea if you have ever had trouble with this like I have.  Here is a pic of the set up:

Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
Knowing me i would probably then start jigging with it on and never figure out why the fish weren't biting!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Well, Holehopper, you went to a lot of trouble to show us that.

May I impose on your good nature to post or give us a link to that.

I did a search and could only find 283,000 possibilities.

Thanks for any help you may care to give us.       ;)2

Offline guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
great idea - i will have to make one also .

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
Here's a link to this type of light:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Deep-Drop-Underwater-Diamond-Fishing-Flashing-Light-Bait-Lure-Squid-Strobe-e-/121367817810?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item1c4215ee52

I can't say for sure that this is the same place I got mine from but these are $1.92 with free shipping.  Looks like they are advertised as "deep drop" underwater lights used to attract squid. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Thanks, Holehopper.     ;)2

They may have a longer life in fresh water, too.

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
Sounds like a good idea.  I just ordered two of these lights. 

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ive tried those same lights in my saltwater boat. A word of caution is to keep them real dry when not in use. If you put them in a damp tacklebox you will find them with a dead battery next time you want to use them.
I tried one once on some overnight Burbot sets and did have a couple of empty hooks the next morning. Still for the price I don't bother to use them anymore for anything.
I can see your use for a camera in a stained lake. Personally I'll just stick with my flasher.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Here's a link to this type of light:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Deep-Drop-Underwater-Diamond-Fishing-Flashing-Light-Bait-Lure-Squid-Strobe-e-/121367817810?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item1c4215ee52

I can't say for sure that this is the same place I got mine from but these are $1.92 with free shipping.  Looks like they are advertised as "deep drop" underwater lights used to attract squid.

Cool deal, just one comment:

Don't expect quick delivery on this particular item folks, it ships from China. Once I get a search dialed in I usually check the "only from North America or US" box on the left to get returns that ship from this side of the world. Sometimes costs a little more but ships more in line with my expectations.

Thanks for the idea holehopper!
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
I wonder how they would work as a fish attractor placed several inches above a glow crappie jig at night?   ::)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline jepik

• Team IceShanty Regular
just got mine today.. in 1 wk.

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
I got mine yesterday ... 12/19.  Ordered on 11/25.

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
Ordered 3 yesterday

Offline guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
ordered 2 yesterday - i'm not worried when they show up, STILL no ice . . .

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep & bear arms.Assume nothing.Fish & hunt often!
Ordered 1 today.  Thanks for the tip.  Happy trails ! ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.