Author Topic: jigging rods and reels  (Read 2112 times)

Offline Hellfish

• IceShanty Rookie
jigging rods and reels
« on: Oct 19, 2006, 09:17 AM »
I want to purchase jigging rods and reels.  They will be used for jigging white perch, crappie, togue, salmon and cusk.  I think I will get at least two rods and reels (medium and light), but do not know what I will need or should get. I would appreciate an advice on specifications, brands and tackle. Thanks.

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: jigging rods and reels
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2006, 09:31 AM »
Wow there are so many brands out there from the "made in China" noname brand  to $30 plus St Croix's.

What state are you from? I'd assume Maine or NH  and what size are these fish?? if you'll be catching 30" plus Togue all day long then you'll want a different rod then if your avg fish runs around 20". For me fishing its always a learning experience and fishing is supposed to be fun. I use Ultralight rods and 2lb test for Pannies (perch/crappie), and medium rods for salmon/trout/togue with 4-6lb test.
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2006, 10:12 AM »
thats some very solid advice, each brand is differnt, adm each fisherman is different, as they all expect or perfer differnt things, here is what i like,

UL Frabil Panfish Popper for perch & Gills (approx $20-$30)
L St.Croix Legend w/ strike indicator and a Tica Cetus reel for crappies ($70-$80)

I dont fish much salom but I do fish for lakersm and I use a M St.Croix Avid with a Tica Cetus reel or an Okuma M rod with once again a tice cetus reel...you may have notices a trend

I bought a Shakspear combo last year that I was not happy with, the reel was junk, I added another shakspear underspin combo as I hear good things.

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2006, 11:03 AM »
I have a Berkley Lightning (lite action) and Ugly Stick (med action) that work well.  But in reality, most of my rods have been converted from two piece open water poles.  I simply attached the reel to the tip section of the two piece rod and go fishing.  I started doing this in college because it was cheaper than buying ice rods.  I have 2 or 3 that I have been using since and never converted back to open water poles.  I have, however, replaced the duct tape a few times ;D.

Offline jhawkes2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2006, 02:27 PM »
I've seen what you can do with a tip-up and don't want to give you any tips for jigging, hellfish. ;D

Offline jhawkes2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2006, 02:28 PM »
BTW, welcome to the "Shanty"!

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #6 on: Oct 19, 2006, 03:17 PM »
will you be using them inside iceshanty or on the bucket??   If inside,  i would not use anything longer than 28",    but outside  i would go for a longer rod to get a better hook set and shock absortption.  I think I own a bunch of frabills  and I would not pay more than 30 bucks for one  because I always break few every season,  gets expensive real fast!

Offline Hellfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 19, 2006, 04:02 PM »
I will be using them outside and not in a shack.  Generally I will fish for the panfish and perch after work near my home, and jig for larger fish on weekends when I travel to larger more remote lakes and ponds.  I jig in addition to fishing with traps.  I have gotten some good info already, but could use some info on some of the subtleties I should look for in the rod and reels for the different types of fish.  Thanks again.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 19, 2006, 09:39 PM »
i got a 32in. med. action frabil amplifier at mardens. its real sensitive and ive got everything from perch to a 8lb. togue on it. its long enough to be forgiving on the bigger fish but sensitive enough for the smaller ones.

Offline perchpunk22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2006, 01:16 PM »
go for the crappie or perch genz stix. i have them both and love them
-perchpunk-
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land.  It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.  ~Chuck Clark

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.