New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread  (Read 428816 times)

Offline Ford317

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: SCHROON LAKE and Surrounding Ponds Thread
« Reply #2910 on: Feb 14, 2021, 10:53 AM »
Boards been quiet. I’m assuming everyone has abandoned Schroon for the king. I’m heading to for a few days with the family Hopefully we won’t get snowed in and be forced to stay a few extra days  ;) ;D.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2911 on: Feb 14, 2021, 11:11 AM »
Boards been quiet. I’m assuming everyone has abandoned Schroon for the king. I’m heading to for a few days with the family Hopefully we won’t get snowed in and be forced to stay a few extra days  ;) ;D.

My buddy and I spent from Friday mid day to Sunday, mid day, on the ice on Schroon last weekend. We were at the base of Collins Island, straight across the lake from the boat launch. Saturday morning, one short laker. Sunday morning, one hit and run, another one tied itself to a large branch and we lost it at the hole. But, it was still fun chasing flags for the first time this season.

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2912 on: Feb 15, 2021, 02:08 PM »
Finally a hot day on Schroon.  8 Lakers landed, several lost, from 8:30-1:30.  All fish were very dark, coming out of deep water to feed on the flats.  Personal best for this season, 24", 5lbs, dark and fat. 50 fow, 20 ft down caught the most.  Hunts and smelt. Drove my Jeep Patriot out there, 13-15" ice, 6-8" snow, more in drifts. Expecting a foot of snow tonight and tomorrow, so getting out there will be an issue without a snow machine. Nice hot teriyaki venison meatball subs made it a perfect day.

Tony

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #2913 on: Feb 15, 2021, 02:46 PM »
Finally a hot day on Schroon.  8 Lakers landed, several lost, from 8:30-1:30.  All fish were very dark, coming out of deep water to feed on the flats.  Personal best for this season, 24", 5lbs, dark and fat. 50 fow, 20 ft down caught the most.  Hunts and smelt. Drove my Jeep Patriot out there, 13-15" ice, 6-8" snow, more in drifts. Expecting a foot of snow tonight and tomorrow, so getting out there will be an issue without a snow machine. Nice hot teriyaki venison meatball subs made it a perfect day.

All that good karma coming back for answering my PM's  ;D
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #2914 on: Feb 15, 2021, 03:17 PM »
Can you share that venison teriyaki meatball recipe? It looks awesome. Congrats on the fish as well.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline bigbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2915 on: Feb 15, 2021, 03:34 PM »
What lake is nicknamed "the king"?

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2916 on: Feb 15, 2021, 03:44 PM »
Can you share that venison teriyaki meatball recipe? It looks awesome. Congrats on the fish as well.
Sure, love to, just remember, I'm Italian, which means I don't measure, a little this, a little that!!!   Pound of ground meat of your choice, teriyaki sauce that I thicken some, granulated garlic, minced ginger, couple minced scallion, salt and pepper, some breadcrumbs.  Mix well, form into balls a little bigger than a golf ball, bake in oven at 350* til you reach an internal temp of 150*.  Drizzle with more teriyaki and make sandwiches, or like I did, put in containers and reheat on the lake.  Enjoy!
Tony

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2917 on: Feb 15, 2021, 03:50 PM »
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:
Tony

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #2918 on: Feb 15, 2021, 03:56 PM »
Sure, love to, just remember, I'm Italian, which means I don't measure, a little this, a little that!!!   Pound of ground meat of your choice, teriyaki sauce that I thicken some, granulated garlic, minced ginger, couple minced scallion, salt and pepper, some breadcrumbs.  Mix well, form into balls a little bigger than a golf ball, bake in oven at 350* til you reach an internal temp of 150*.  Drizzle with more teriyaki and make sandwiches, or like I did, put in containers and reheat on the lake.  Enjoy!

Thank you. Got a freezer full of venison and I'm always looking for new recipes.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2919 on: Feb 15, 2021, 05:44 PM »
Flyfish413, IowaAccor66, NateNY -- thank you for sharing the info on locating pike -- greatly appreciated!

Come back and let us know how you do.

Offline riverat24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2920 on: Feb 16, 2021, 08:16 AM »
Congrats looks like you had a great day.   The Lakers in Schroon are really dark.  How much snow did you end up getting?  Thinking of trying tomorrowif drag is not too bad.

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2921 on: Feb 16, 2021, 08:20 AM »
What lake is nicknamed "the king"?

They’re referring to Lake George, also referred to as the Queen sometimes too
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2922 on: Feb 16, 2021, 08:31 AM »

Well deserved.  Any trucks make it from the north to the south where I like to fish?

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2923 on: Feb 16, 2021, 12:36 PM »
Well deserved.  Any trucks make it from the north to the south where I like to fish?
My buddy was out Sunday ramp to Clark with his Nissan Frontier but probably not where you want to fish jon

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2924 on: Feb 16, 2021, 02:08 PM »
Thanks. I heard from the bait shop there were trucks off Eagle Point sometime this weekend.
Tony

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2925 on: Feb 16, 2021, 02:12 PM »
Congrats looks like you had a great day.   The Lakers in Schroon are really dark.  How much snow did you end up getting?  Thinking of trying tomorrowif drag is not too bad.
We got 4-5", then sleet and a little freezing rain.  Slush pockets out there today. Supposed to be very cold next couple days before the next storm hits. My little Jeep Patriot was straining just to get out there yesterday.  Conditions going to have to change before I can get back out.
Tony

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2926 on: Feb 16, 2021, 02:18 PM »
My buddy was out Sunday ramp to Clark with his Nissan Frontier but probably not where you want to fish jon

Thank you sir.  My 8 year old loves laker fishing but doesn't like the long walks so driving to a few dozen waypoints and letting it rip would be really make her happy.

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #2927 on: Feb 17, 2021, 11:00 AM »

Appreciate you sharing the recipe. will definitely have to try this out, those look delicious. Great fish too, absolutely love the real dark ADK lakers  :thumbsup:

Offline icecaptain14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2928 on: Feb 21, 2021, 06:24 PM »
Any updates on ice conditions went to eagle lake today bunch of pike and bass and a sloppy mess hope its not bad or ill be buying waders

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2929 on: Feb 21, 2021, 06:33 PM »
I haven't been out since last week, going is just too hard right now.  I did talk with several buddies that were out there this weekend.  One 4x4 truck stuck off the boat launch.  Bad slush in pockets that you can't tell til your in them. The 6" of snow and crust hides the bad spots.  Plenty of good ice, just need a little warm weather to knock that stuff down and refreeze at night.
Tony

Offline Brucebob7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2930 on: Feb 21, 2021, 06:38 PM »
Was out sat slush was awful even for Sleds !!

Offline msobie64

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2931 on: Feb 22, 2021, 07:33 AM »
Was out on Sat and Sunday.  I can attest to 6-10inches of slush in spots.  Made the drag pretty tough, on the southern end you had to go a good 100-150 yards out before you hit solid ice with no slush if you were walking out from the western shore as we did.  I'm pretty new to fishing Schroon, does anyone know where I can get a detail contour map?  Unfortunately my Helix doesn't even have a basemap for it.  based on the depth readings I was getting on the Helix 7 I'm pretty sure I was on a flat 30-40ft which didn't produce well (a small Laker and few missed flags). 

Thanks,
Mike
"still looking for the one hookset that changes life"

Offline Krocodile

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2932 on: Feb 22, 2021, 05:51 PM »
The Navionics App for your phone is a great, and inexpensive, way to fish target depth and structure. I use it on Oneida, George and Schroon and it never lets me down.

Offline CamoGurl2023

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2933 on: Feb 23, 2021, 06:07 AM »
Was wondering if you are allowed to park in the spot by the narrows still. I fished it last year and did very well. I just don't know if it got posted. Thank you

Offline pixleyken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2934 on: Feb 23, 2021, 06:37 AM »
Was wondering if you are allowed to park in the spot by the narrows still. I fished it last year and did very well. I just don't know if it got posted. Thank you

If you’re talking about the seasonal restaurant yes. I was there several weeks ago, plowed parking lot and snowmobiles had a good track packed down

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2935 on: Feb 23, 2021, 06:43 AM »
Thank you moderators for taking that picture down with a circled satellite image of an access for the whole internet to see .... people have zero respect for spots and access now a days it’s unbelievable the access is allowed but if more of that keeps up it won’t be.... unbelievable

Offline CamoGurl2023

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2936 on: Feb 23, 2021, 07:28 AM »
Thank you moderators for taking that picture down with a circled satellite image of an access for the whole internet to see .... people have zero respect for spots and access now a days it’s unbelievable the access is allowed but if more of that keeps up it won’t be.... unbelievable

I actually took it down. I realized it wasn't a good idea to post it...

Offline CamoGurl2023

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2937 on: Feb 23, 2021, 07:39 AM »
If you’re talking about the seasonal restaurant yes. I was there several weeks ago, plowed parking lot and snowmobiles had a good track packed down

Thank you! I hope you are having a good season!  :)

Offline Steelhead5678

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2938 on: Feb 25, 2021, 02:36 AM »
Curious with the stretch of warm weather how the drag out is? How much slush is on top?

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2939 on: Feb 25, 2021, 09:01 AM »

I actually took it down. I realized it wasn't a good idea to post it...

Good move.  It's no fun driving at 1am to get to Lake George early enough to get a parking spot.  The spot you posted could very easily be overrun like that. 

I bet the drag is hell.  Nearby we almost got a 1000cc sled stuck a few times in drifts and slush ...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.