Author Topic: Cordless drill deal for next year  (Read 1106 times)

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Cordless drill deal for next year
« on: Mar 22, 2017, 09:32 AM »
The good thing about Rigid cordless tools is the warranty- lifetime for both the tool and batteries. Home Depot has a good deal on the drill with 2 batteries, if you are thinking about going cordless for next season:

https://slickdeals.net/f/9894236-ridgid-brushless-compact-hammer-drill-w-2-batteries-charger-and-bag-129-at-home-depot-114-81-after-mail-in-rebate-ymmv

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Cordless drill deal for next year
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2017, 09:53 AM »
X2 on ridgid tools are great for a one time purchase, except you don't want that kit for ice fishing. it is their compact drill kit that comes with their smallest 2 amp battery. it's too small and only time the batteries are life time warranted is when you buy them in a kit.
nice kit for a home diy tho. augers will want the 4 amp battery. the bigger the bit the bigger the load on the battery. so far, they don't offer a kit with their 5 amp battery.

i use their tools daily and have had service done and was given free batteries on some of the tools that didn't need them yet. the shop replaced them because ridgid changed the brand of cells used inside and they wanted me to have the better battery packs.
just take them to a small authorized service center if and when you need batteries or repairs. i wouldn't use hd for repairs or parts. when i last inquired about any charges with this hd said they charged 35$ to pay for shipping and returned it if the problem with the tools was covered under warranty.

the repair shop i used didn't care why the tools needed work. they replaced parts they didn't need yet like switches because they do wear out eventually and batteries.

i had a 12 volt drill motor go out. it was weird from the start tho when turning in reverse. i used it for wire wheeling most of the time and you get twice the wear of the wheel when you reverse the direction. they replaced that and the transmission for free.
gave me new 12 volt batteries and gave me new 24 volt batteries and said the 24 volt is being discontinued and ridgid would replace the entire set of tools when i need batteries or service on any of those with what ever is current and for free.
good stuff!

Offline quickco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2017, 01:41 PM »
i have used rigid on the job and not all that impressed. I picked up the porter cable 20v brushless kit for 129.99 that included drill, impact and 2 1.3a  batteries. they are small but they deliver alot! i have used dewalt, rigid,Ryobi, Milwaukee, and porter cable just seems to beat them all. will find out next season. we should get a bunch of guys with diff. drill on the same lake next season. See what really works best.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2017, 02:04 PM »
I love my rigid drill, I run a 6" nills bottom works great. 2 full seasons no issues.
I only run my gas auger for walleye and pike tip up fishing.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline quickco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2017, 02:24 PM »
oh and as far as the warranties, I'm pretty sure if they knew we were using the drill on below freezing temps to drill through lakes that might void the warranty.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2017, 08:01 PM »
oh and as far as the warranties, I'm pretty sure if they knew we were using the drill on below freezing temps to drill through lakes that might void the warranty.

people do work in freezing temps and do use large basket saws that are as big as an auger and cutting much harder material all of the time. these holes take way more time and stress on the tools than an ice auger does.

Best-in-class extreme weather performance in temperatures as low as -4 degrees and up to 120 degrees F
http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-4-0Ah-Lithium-Ion-Battery-2-Pack-AC840087P/205999648

as i mentioned previously, the repair shop goes way beyond the warranty and installs parts that aren't worn out yet just because they can and want to, to make sure your tools keep working problem free.
they don't ask why the tools break either, they just want to get them working again asap and for free for ever.
this is the complete opposite of your claims.

so what ridgid drill did you own and which porter cable drill do you own that you say is better?
there is no way a 1.3 amp battery will out perform a 4 amp.

Offline quickco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2017, 06:01 AM »
Lol obviously a 1.3 amp battery will never run more than a battery 3 times the size of it. That comment wasn't really needed. I have been building and repairing houses and other buildings for more than 20 years. The last tool I used on the job was rigid. Didn't care for the red 18v. Batteries were terrible. Almost as bad as the ryobi I owned first. Dewalt is OK. But just OK. The 20 v dewalt doesn't compare to the porter cables 20v edge. Milwaukee is a quality tool but pricey. Thought about the fuel but....

Offline quickco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 2017, 07:05 AM »
people do work in freezing temps and do use large basket saws that are as big as an auger and cutting much harder material all of the time. these holes take way more time and stress on the tools than an ice auger does.

Best-in-class extreme weather performance in temperatures as low as -4 degrees and up to 120 degrees F
http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-4-0Ah-Lithium-Ion-Battery-2-Pack-AC840087P/205999648

as i mentioned previously, the repair shop goes way beyond the warranty and installs parts that aren't worn out yet just because they can and want to, to make sure your tools keep working problem free.
they don't ask why the tools break either, they just want to get them working again asap and for free for ever.
this is the complete opposite of your claims.

so what ridgid drill did you own and which porter cable drill do you own that you say is better?
there is no way a 1.3 amp battery will out perform a 4 amp.

I was thinking we are standing on water. Drilling in water. Not the best of places for electronics.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.