Author Topic: Eskimo Quick Flip 2  (Read 9086 times)

Offline poor_fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
Eskimo Quick Flip 2
« on: Nov 06, 2008, 01:42 PM »
I just saw these slick little shelters by Eskimo at SIR/Cabela's for $500, anybody have an opinion on these.  I was going to build a shack but that would cost me $150 for a basic shack with a tarp and plywood walls for not that much more (and a whole lot less work) I can get one of these.  How are these to pull when one does not have a snowmobile? the weight of the unit is 87 lbs then auger and gear looking at 100 lbs +.

Cheers

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Eskimo Quick Flip 2
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2008, 04:09 PM »
these seen to be the same weight as my fish trap... you can pull them, but it's heavy. I ski waxed the bottom of my sled, and put a longer rope on it. In the end, I bought a sled!!!! Also bought a small one man flip over if I don't want to take out the sled. A lot easier to pull the small ones with gear.

Offline big-brother

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • bring on the ice!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2008, 05:28 PM »
Quik flips are a decent shack.Weight will be an issue pulling it yourself even with a longer rope.Best way to haul one of these is with a sled or quad or just drive up to your spot and then unload it.

Offline bossman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • im all about settin hooks
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2008, 05:34 PM »
i have the same one fisher,i love it,its not that hard to pull,,keep er waxed up and it will pull just fine,the padded seat and backrest are alot nicer than the old buckets,,and lots of room inside once its up,,good choice you wont be sorry,,good luck and stay safe
Its all about the good times.

Offline Popsicle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2008, 08:36 PM »
Last year I purchased an Eskimo Quik flip II just before they were yanked off the shelves. (Aparently they weren't fire resistant)
It has been great. Plenty of room to store my Jiffy and auger blade, propane tank and heater, fish graph, small shovel, rods, tackle and a small cooler with lunch.

I also have the Sleigh hitch to tow it behind my snowmobile.
This is where I found a weekness in what was an almost perfect ice shack.
The light weight plastic sleigh tray it all fits into proved insuficient on the hard ice trails left behind on a slushy lake. The front corners took a pounding.

It turns out that the Jet Sled XL from the Fishin' Hole is a very good (and tough) replacement. Very few mods. were needed to swap out the sleighs.

Be sure to use the high speed running kit they sell for the sled.
Or as an option you can bolt on some hard plastic/nylon strips that you can get from the plastic shops around town. Every little bit helps.

Lining the inside of the sled with a peice of 1/4 inch ply will keep the auger from digging holes in it as well, plus you've got something to put your feet on once you get on the lake.

I'll try to get some pics of the modification posted soon.
A bad day at the lake still beats armchair fishing.

Offline whip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2008, 10:04 PM »

I had the quick-flip3 for three years now, great shack. The new ones seem even better. Go see

Bob at Pro-am, he will set you up.

Offline Popsicle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2008, 09:46 PM »
Here are the pis of my quick flip modifications.

A 1 x 6 board bolted across each end.

I turned the seat angle bracket over to lower the seat hight due to the taller sled.

Finally A a longer peice of bent conduet from home depot so the bottom hoop could sit on the ground.

A bad day at the lake still beats armchair fishing.

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2008, 10:08 PM »
Ive had one of these tents for 4 years now and its really good. Like the guy above my corners took a pounding but i just pop them out every now and then. If im walking the tent around i have a 5 point harness (its a fall safety harness) and a bungee cord rope set up. When you walk the sled races forward and slows and its really a pain when you walk. I have hte harness and the bungee so it makes for a  smooth and easier pull. i have a large flat box for rods in the tent and a taller one for random stuff. i can put a shovel, those 2 boxes, 2 tackle bags, 4 tip ups, a camera, my vex in a bucket, mr heater little buddy and other junk in it. Its a good tent, just put the back bar in so if you want to move you just throw it to half mast and take off. Also if its warm you can use it as a wind break. Very handy tent.

Offline poor_fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2008, 11:46 AM »
Thanks guys, I am starting to think that this is the way to go, and it gives me an excuse to buy a sled as well.  Much easier to justify when you need something as opposed to just wanting it.

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2008, 05:44 PM »
IF it means anything to you ive also towed mine at 70 km/h behind a skidoo without any kind of runner system lol.

Offline Bo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2008, 06:14 AM »
i have a 1.5 and it's great.  i'd just want a bit more room and a 2 will be perfect

Offline dkozyra15

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2013, 08:01 PM »
I bought a Flipmo2 Inferno and used it first time yesterday what a tank to pull I was exhausted at the end of the day from pulling it but I think I will try waxing the runners. Cant wait to use skidoo for towing instead of myself
A bad day of fishing is still better then a good day @ work!

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2013, 07:29 PM »
I bought a Flipmo2 Inferno and used it first time yesterday what a tank to pull I was exhausted at the end of the day from pulling it but I think I will try waxing the runners. Cant wait to use skidoo for towing instead of myself

Make yourself a smitty sled for when you need to pull by hand.  Heck use it behind a sled and you'll never have to worry about chewing through the tub of the flip over.

When I get out this week I'll post a few pics of the ones I made.  With the smitty, it's about 1/4 of the effort to pull than a typical sled.  Search on shanty and you'll find hundreds (thousands) of posts on them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.