The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: First Ice Plans  (Read 1364 times)

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
First Ice Plans
« on: Aug 24, 2008, 08:03 PM »
Dunno know if there are any fellow montana hardwater nuts online but still curious and not really expecting alot of answers  ;).  With it being the end of august and about 2 1/2 to 3 months till first ice I am curious if anyone has pondered on where to go for their first trip.  Im planning on hitting up hyalite or some ponds around the Mad Valley.  Once Harrison gets 3-4 inches on the willow creek arm Im gonna try and get into some trout.  Best wishes and best of luck to all!

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: First Ice Plans
« Reply #1 on: Aug 26, 2008, 07:18 PM »
The Peck!!!!!!!!!!  ;D

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Aug 26, 2008, 07:32 PM »
Sadly to say I have yet to catch a pike or walleye but hoping to change that this year:).  Went to sportsmans yesterday trying to find a marcum lx-5 but no luck, all they had were vexilar 18's and a 20.  Might have to settle for a vex 20 though.  I kinda hate having just trout around for the majority.

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Sep 02, 2008, 06:01 PM »
Had to get my LX-5 online.  Most of the stores a couple of years ago when you asked for an ice fishing flasher they looked at you like you were crazy.  Some are starting to come around now.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 02, 2008, 06:03 PM »
I will probably hit one of the lakes near Helena first.  All depends on which gets safe ice first.  Usually by the time I get done butching from hunting season, I don't have to wait long.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2008, 03:03 PM »
generally Helena ice is a little later in coming then I'd like, so I am forced to drive for the first few weekend of the season. 

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #6 on: Sep 05, 2008, 11:27 AM »
Safe ice over here isn't usually until mid December.  We've had some early starts and usually it will melt and have to form again....  But there is always hope for ice by mid November or dare I say earlier... ::)

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 05, 2008, 11:35 AM »
Going to try fishing in Maine more this year, Mass gets ice late in the season. :)
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Sep 16, 2008, 01:38 AM »
Did i mention the Peck.Oh yea and maby South Sandstone.JUUUUUUSSSSS T love them Northerns. ;D

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.