The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Headed to Smith Lake for the 1st Time  (Read 2298 times)

Offline wirehairman

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
Headed to Smith Lake for the 1st Time
« on: Jan 10, 2020, 04:44 PM »
My wife booked a family trip to Essex next weekend.  Since I don't cross-country ski, my 9 year old son and I are hoping to get some icefishing in on new water while we're on the west side of the state.  After reading all the report threads on lakes around the Kalispell area and doing some research, I've decided to target Smith Lake.

I am also going to take the opportunity to take my buddy from Missoula and his boy out.  My buddy doesn't hunt or fish, but his son wants to in the worst way.  I hooked them up with the kids icefishing clinic in Frenchtown last year, and the kid is in love with icefishing now.  He wants to catch a pike on a tipup after seeing pictures of my boy doing it, which is part of the reason I settled on Smith Lake.

I don't normally ask for tips or spots and am not afraid to strike out on my own to learn a new body of water.  However, I only have one day next Sunday and really want to get the boys into some fish.  Any of you familiar with the lake that are willing to point me in the right direction for perch and/or pike would be greatly appreciated.  You can also PM me if you don't want to post a response on the main board.

Thanks in advance and tight lines!

Offline MTJ

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Headed to Smith Lake for the 1st Time
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2020, 09:43 PM »
The whole lake is pretty shallow. Try to be in 8 feet or more. The perch are hard to catch. There are lots of smaller pike that will hit almost anything. On a tip up try a small piece of bait just off the bottom. I usually jig a twister tail jig. Just don't go past where other people have gone and you should be in a good spot. The pike swim through the whole lake. If snappys is on your way stop and talk to them, they know what the best thing to do is there.

Offline MatCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2020, 05:30 PM »
Most of the pike are pretty small, i've done best with a treble hook then half a smelt on the tip up.  The big hooks with whole smelt are tough to keep them on with.

Offline wirehairman

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2020, 11:08 AM »
A huge thank you to everyone that reached out!  I think we have a good chance of getting my buddy's kid on some pike now with your help.

I truly appreciate the assist as I've never icefished in the Flathead (and don't plan to be back over there anytime in the foreseeable future).

Offline wirehairman

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2020, 05:26 PM »
Thanks again for everyone that reached out. The boys had a great day chasing flags. I was too busy helping them to ever find the perch.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2020, 09:53 PM »
So cool!!!🤙

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2020, 11:48 PM »
Congratulations man!  They look like they had a blast.  I'm glad ya'lls trip was productive!

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2020, 03:47 AM »
very kool! Thanks for letting the folks who replied to your post know how you did! Makes them feel like it was worth their time!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Rat Fink

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2020, 11:51 AM »
Thanks again for everyone that reached out. The boys had a great day chasing flags. I was too busy helping them to ever find the perch.

Ironically I was fishing next to you guys most of the day on Sunday. It was fun watching your kids chase flags all day and catch fish. I ended up with 7 pike.

Offline wirehairman

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2020, 10:27 PM »
Ironically I was fishing next to you guys most of the day on Sunday. It was fun watching your kids chase flags all day and catch fish. I ended up with 7 pike.

Wish I'd known. I would've introduced myself.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.