The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice Conditions Around Great Falls  (Read 1372 times)

Offline Kelson

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Conditions Around Great Falls
« on: Dec 30, 2019, 04:03 PM »
I live in Great Falls and am hoping to ice fish in the next couple days. Anyone know of ice conditions around? I've heard of guys on Frances but I wasn't sure if all the front lakes had ice or not. Also curious about Holter or really anything nearby. Thanks in advance.

Offline mtcommonwalleyeguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice Conditions Around Great Falls
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2019, 07:07 PM »
Holter is a no go from what I've heard. Probably has a while still. Front lakes are good, Frances is good, prairie lakes should be good in the bays for sure. I've been fishing from Lewistown to the front lakes for about a month now, you should be okay most anywhere. As always, bring a spud bar or drill a hole now and again to check if you have any worries.

Offline Nockdown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2020, 11:59 PM »
holter still wide open? Got the boat battery on the tender at the moment  ;D

Offline Yellowsevenpot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2020, 02:36 PM »
Hey all.

Visitor from Washington here. I am blessed to have a woman in my life that loves fishing. Her birthday is the 28th. I am hoping to surprise her with a trip to your neck of the woods that weekend before. Fish, Wildlife, and Parka directed me towards Canyon Ferry and Holter.

Over here in Eastern Washington things really vary winter to winter if we are going to get any fish-able ice, is it the same out that way? Is there a high probability in having high water in these location by the end of the month?

Hoping to get into Walleye (pretty much no opportunity for them on ice here), and perch (her favorite.

Kind Regards and tight-lines.

Offline mtcommonwalleyeguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2020, 02:51 PM »
Hi Yellow,

Send me a DM and I can get you pointed in the right direction for the Great Falls area. Lots of lakes in the general vicinity for you to explore. Perch, walleye, and pike tend to be what I target, and I have a decent feel for where you could possibly get on them around here. As always, keep an eye on the Montana ice reports page for thickness reports, too-- https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=172.0

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2020, 10:55 PM »
Fish, Wildlife, and Parka directed me towards Canyon Ferry and Holter.

Did FWP mention anything about bringing a kayak?

There was no safe ice on Holter until after the third week in January last year and we’re currently behind that pace. I saw zero ice the weekend before last and temps have warmed since then.

Canyon Ferry has ice but very little of the safe variety. Things may change if the forecast for nighttime temps below 20 degrees beginning after the 11th actually happens.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline Yellowsevenpot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2020, 10:09 AM »
I am very much crossing my fingers that cold snap happens and you all get some good ice by then. Luckily, I have until the 22nd to cancel my reservations in Helena. We might just have to shoot down to Cascade ID, although the accommodations are already pretty full down there already. Perhaps we will have to push the trip out into February. Anywho, it sounds like you all have some amazing fishing out there and we hope to enjoy a bit of it.

Offline nedwreck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2020, 11:34 AM »
reliable info says 3 inches of ice on canyon ferry even tho that's a little south of you.
While fishing, the only time I drink is when I'm alone or with somebody.

Offline Yellowsevenpot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2020, 01:19 PM »
Hey all it is me again! Trying to make a final decision on rolling out your way. I have until midnight tomorrow to change our plans. It looks like the weather is warming up that way. I am not familiar at all with your area. It looks like there is ice out there now, with the forecasted warm up do you all the it will remain next weekend? Thinking about cutting bait and going to Cascade, I'd.

Thoughts?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.