Author Topic: Drill vs Hammer drill??  (Read 1394 times)

Offline JoeLansing

• IceShanty Rookie
Drill vs Hammer drill??
« on: Jan 04, 2022, 06:01 PM »
I bought a 1200 torque Kobalt hammer drill on Fleabay with 4.0aH battery and charger for $139.   It showed up, but wasn't what was advertised.  They sent me a 1200 torque plain drill.  It has a nice big handle, still 1200 torque.  It's brushless.  Should I care?  I had the hammer version last winter and it was fantastic.  Sent it to my wife's brothers in Philippines this summer and needed to replace it.  Heck, this thing even has the anti-kickback tech like the hammer drill version has.  I left the seller a message saying it isn't what was advertised, but not sure if I care that much.  This is what they sent:  https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-XTR-24-Volt-Max-1-2-in-Brushless-Cordless-Drill-Charger-Included/1002273816
- Joe

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
Re: Drill vs Hammer drill??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2022, 06:14 PM »
From what I can tell, that meets/exceeds the requirements. You want to run for drill in drill mode anyway, not hammer mode.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2022, 06:41 PM »
From what I can tell, that meets/exceeds the requirements. You want to run for drill in drill mode anyway, not hammer mode.

Agreed ..my concern would be any warranty isusses .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2022, 06:50 PM »
I reread the post, and looked into their drills. Did they send you the drill you linked to Lowes??? If so, id say your good. If not, post what they did send you. I didn't see any other drills that seemed bigger. Only a SDS rotary hammer drill that I don't have experience with, and havent seem many people use.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2022, 07:43 PM »
I reread the post, and looked into their drills. Did they send you the drill you linked to Lowes??? If so, id say your good. If not, post what they did send you. I didn't see any other drills that seemed bigger. Only a SDS rotary hammer drill that I don't have experience with, and havent seem many people use.

This is Kobalts hammer drill version..1200 lbs

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-XTR-1-2-in-24-Volt-Max-Variable-Speed-Brushless-Cordless-Hammer-Drill-1-Battery-Included/1002273868
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2022, 08:02 PM »
I'm not familiar w/ your drill but you should run it at lowest speed setting and never in hammer mode
Imagine flipping your auger upside down and pounding on it w/ solid ice filled w/ rock and other solid debris at a few hundred beats per second. First couple cuts would run but your blades would be trash. Most augers are made to shave ice not chisel it.

Offline marshstomper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2022, 10:08 AM »
I've got the Kobalt 24V non-hammer drill on an old 7" Mora auger.  You wont be disappointed.  Plenty of power, I've never run out of battery, zero problems.

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2022, 08:28 AM »
I’ve been told by a friend that’s a engineer for one of the major tool companies, that the internals of a hammer drill is designed a little beefier than it’s non-hammer drill counterparts to withstand the impact/vibration.

So even if you only use the drill function (which I do), you will have a slightly beefier drill.

I have no proof of this other than what was told to me, but it sounds reasonable.
Old Noob - Sponsored by my lovely wife.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2022, 02:41 PM »
I purchased a non-hammer drill when I got mine for my nils.  Did this purposely so I couldn’t accidentally drill in the hammer mode which could easily damage my cutting head.  Something to think about, augers are not meant to be used in that mode and it could be game over real quick if you don’t pay attention to what mode your in.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.