Author Topic: Do not research a track sled!  (Read 3579 times)

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
Do not research a track sled!
« on: Jan 02, 2022, 08:18 PM »
I joined a Facebook group 2 days ago, picking up a snowmobile tomorrow for the build! Yeah, it is a Snowdog but you can build it.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Re: Do not research a track sled!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2022, 09:19 PM »
Hate going on FB, but is anyone in your group talking about building an electric snow dog?

Offline mcflyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2022, 06:27 AM »
There have been a couple electric builds. They are cool, but lithium is so exorbitant and lead is so heavy. It just seems like the electric creations don't fit the ethos of the track sled community.   Light and cheap are design criteria for my build.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2022, 07:34 AM »
I did the same thing!  They definitely are something that I'm keeping an eye on.  Would love to get one some day.  Unfortunately for me, I'd have to buy one as I don't have the welding skills to put one together myself.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2022, 08:24 AM »
  Ух ты !       :woot:

“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2022, 05:32 PM »
Tomorrow my son and I start tear down. This is going to be a fun project. We already bought the Predator 212 engine and a CVT clutch kit.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2022, 05:40 PM »
Hate going on FB, but is anyone in your group talking about building an electric snow dog?
Nope!

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2022, 05:28 PM »
Day 1 was teardown. It went well. Tomorrow I need to remove the drive shaft and mill it down on the lathe to accept a chain pulley.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2022, 05:50 PM »
I joined the same tracksled page a few days ago,not ready to disassemble my 90 arctic cat cougar yet.runs too good but needs a carb boot.i wish this idea came years earlier i had over 17 snowmobiles and parted them out and scrapped them.im going to use the stock chaincase and key the torque converter side and put the sprocket there.plan on using the stock brakes,handlebars with levers.already got the 30 series china converter kit.ive got a few hopped up briggs,probably run predator tho.motor will be offset but load gear in rack and auger on opposite side should work decent.i see alot of guys running a separate jackshaft but im keeping it simple to begin with running the stock gear case.

Offline WelderMike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2022, 06:01 PM »
Not trying to hijack your thread but a Buddy and I started our tear down today too,couple pics attached. Looks like you guy's  are making good progress. Look forward to updates.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2022, 05:36 PM »
I was only able to work on it yesterday since we went fishing today. It's coming along nicely. Feel free to ad pics to this thread. It's nice to see other peoples builds too.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2022, 07:31 PM »
It's completed. Took it out on the lake and it towed all our equipment.  Well worth the time to make it.

Offline WelderMike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2022, 03:36 AM »
Looks great and sure beats dragging gear by hand.
My buddies been running his for a week  now and is already making plans for upgrades or starting a second one.
How does the "ski seat" work? We were going to fab up something similar.

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2022, 06:55 AM »
So I'm unfamiliar with this concept, can you explain the benefit over a regular snowmobile? It kinda looks like you broke down a snowmobile and reassembled it backwards....

It's completed. Took it out on the lake and it towed all our equipment.  Well worth the time to make it.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2022, 08:07 AM »
So I'm unfamiliar with this concept, can you explain the benefit over a regular snowmobile? It kinda looks like you broke down a snowmobile and reassembled it backwards....

Reinvention of the wheel.

Offline regulator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2022, 06:41 PM »
Been building one of our own, and have come to these conclusions...

1. Cost effective alternative to a snowmobile
2. No registration needed
3. Fun to build

and...

4. Just plain cool as H.E. double hockey sticks!! LOL

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2022, 07:16 PM »
So on alot of these track sleds i see being built,why do most not use the stock disc brake from the snowmobile on them?i plan on using the torque converter with 10 tooth 40 chain sprocket to a 36 to 40 tooth sprocket on the original snowmobile shaft and use the snowmobile gearing chaincase.i see alot of them that remove the brake caliper.just wondering if they even need  brakes..

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2022, 07:34 PM »
Brakes can be good. I wish I had incorporated brakes on mine. But you learn how much room needed to come to a stop. I don't have any hills to go down so I'm good. Maybe on my next build.

To make a small fortune in business start with a Large one.,

Offline regulator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2022, 04:25 AM »
We left the disc on ours and set the caliper aside, so still have the option of installing if need be.

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2022, 10:04 AM »
So on alot of these track sleds i see being built,why do most not use the stock disc brake from the snowmobile on them?i plan on using the torque converter with 10 tooth 40 chain sprocket to a 36 to 40 tooth sprocket on the original snowmobile shaft and use the snowmobile gearing chaincase.i see alot of them that remove the brake caliper.just wondering if they even need  brakes..
Does one need a brake?
My answer is a definitely yes.
If I had to guess why most don't have working brakes is because they are either not mechanically inclined enough or in to big of hurry to get them running to get the brakes to work.
Things happen, a throttle sticks a clutch jams or sticks and no way to stop.
At the very least one should have a tether cutoff switch.
Nothing worse than running into a brand new pickup or worse yet a person.
Will mine have brakes, YES.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2022, 10:25 AM »
I plan on using the handle bars to the snowmobile,extend the brake cable to the original caliper and use the kill switch that's already there.safety first imo.i had a 71 chaparral 440 handle bars broke  right off which pulled the carbs slides wide open,jumped off it and it took a ride at about 75mph into a tree.would of been a death ride.

Offline comeonnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2022, 06:10 PM »
I've built three of these tracksleds and am working on a fourth. We have been riding around in the fields, on the back roads, thru the woods and have used them on plenty of ice fishing trips. The only time I can see that you would need brakes is to go down steep boat ramps. I usually just walk along side the machine to get out of the parking lots and onto the ice. Because they are so slow they stop pretty quickly on their own. I like to re-use the handlebars and kill switches from the donor sled. Have fun with your build. Once you've built one you will want to keep going on another and another.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 01, 2022, 06:27 PM »
Less weight, can be taken out on thinner ice, easier to haul(no trailer).

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 01, 2022, 06:39 PM »
Looks great and sure beats dragging gear by hand.
My buddies been running his for a week  now and is already making plans for upgrades or starting a second one.
How does the "ski seat" work? We were going to fab up something similar.
Worked Great!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.