Author Topic: Best free fall reel under $50?  (Read 4740 times)

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best free fall reel under $50?
« on: Dec 21, 2021, 05:44 PM »
Would prefer something with a "trigger", left hand retrieve, and faster gear ratio, and not a piece of junk.

Offline javabone

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Best free fall reel under $50?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2021, 08:00 PM »
https://sportsmensdirect.com/shop/hwi-trigger-drop-reel/

These are great,  especially for price.   As good as 13 fishing free fall.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2021, 06:27 PM »
This one doesn’t have a trigger but it is a blast to fish with. Drag isn’t the best but for panfish it is more than enough.

Offline CO_Dinky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' Lips
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2021, 07:41 PM »
Look at the Piscifun models!!!  https://www.piscifun.com/collections/ice-fishing-reel

High-quality builds, easily comparable to 13 Fishing's models, if not better.  20% off right now with the code "MC20" shown at the top of their webpage.  Code "MH20" might still work, that's 20% off AND free shipping.

I got the smaller, less expensive one (ICX Precision) last year, and was pretty happy with it overall.  $44 with the 20% off. Great for panfish and smaller Trout, etc.

I just got the newer, larger, more expensive one (ICX Carbon), and it's every bit as high quality as the smaller one.  $52 with the 20% off.  While I haven't used it yet, I expect great things!  The magnetic free-fall adjust is pretty well-executed, and the 2-position free-fall lever is genius!  It takes up as much line per turn as most 25/2500 series reels, has more drag power, and won't twist your line like a spinning reel.

I think the ICX Carbon might be THE best inline this year, and when you factor in the great price, you really cannot go wrong!!!
Tight lines!

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2021, 11:35 AM »
Damn! Just when I thought I had the best (Fish13 Ghost), you had to show me these.  I just ordered 2 Piscifun ICX Carbon Ice Fishing Reel, 3.2:1 Inline FreeSpool Ice Reel Magnetic Drop System 8+1 Shielded BB Sliver & Black / Left Hand (Ship on Jan.5).  But your math is a little off; the ICX Carbons are $56 after 20% off the $65 Retail.  And you have to buy $99 worth of goods to get the 20% discount.  Now, what am I going to do with my CGI and Ghost reels?  😁
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline aacosta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2021, 11:52 AM »
right hand 48.75, left hand 52.50 after using code ICE25

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2021, 01:14 PM »
right hand 48.75, left hand 52.50 after using code ICE25
I didn't see the ICE25 discount code when I ordered this AM; MC20 is what I used.  Shucky darn!   :(
Bob Hicks, from Utah
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2021, 07:13 PM »
Well dang, they're all sold out. That said, I got my hands on a couple inline reels today. Some Pflueger and 13 Fishing. The Pflueger felt like trash. Rough reeling and HEAVY. The 13 Fishing Black Betty Free Fall was nice. Very smooth and easy drop. Might have to go this way.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2021, 08:56 PM »
I use the 13 fishing descent reels. No trigger but they seem to do the job. I tried several others and did not care for them, I wont say these are any better but they don't seem to have any issues for me. They go on sale for $25-30 every year. Like most inlines, the drag isnt great.. but I have not had a fish break off yet
EYECONICFISHING

Offline FishDoktor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2021, 11:12 AM »
I have a 13 Descent as mentioned above too. Not a free fall but a nice reel especially for the price. Also have an Eagle Claw something or other that is inline but not freefall that I like too. My only freefall is the Pickle version of what I believe is a Black Betty by 13. I like that fine too. Took a bit to get it dialed in and get used to but its been pretty good since.

As someone else mentioned, I have read several poor reviews on the Pflueger inline reels. I would personally avoid them.

I have never tried the Piscifun reels but I may have to look into one and give them a try.

Offline CO_Dinky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' Lips
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2022, 09:11 PM »
Damn! Just when I thought I had the best (Fish13 Ghost), you had to show me these.  I just ordered 2 Piscifun ICX Carbon Ice Fishing Reel, 3.2:1 Inline FreeSpool Ice Reel Magnetic Drop System 8+1 Shielded BB Sliver & Black / Left Hand (Ship on Jan.5).  But your math is a little off; the ICX Carbons are $56 after 20% off the $65 Retail.  And you have to buy $99 worth of goods to get the 20% discount.  Now, what am I going to do with my CGI and Ghost reels?  😁

Actually...  my math was not off.  $65 * 0.8 = $52  ;)  Check for yourself if you don't believe me. :D

What happened was that the LH retrieve models were actually $5 more.   ::)  $5 * 0.8 = $4, So $52 + $4 = $56.

The MH20 code did not have a minimum, and included free shipping.  The later ICE25 code was even betterer!

They appear to be excellent reels.  Unfortunately, I have yet to have the opportunity to try out my ICX Carbon on the ice (but it drops all manner of jigs quite nicely in my living room).
Tight lines!

Offline aacosta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2022, 09:34 PM »
Anyone have the piscifun and the 13 ghost that can compare quality, size, function?

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2022, 07:35 AM »
Actually...  my math was not off.  $65 * 0.8 = $52  ;)  Check for yourself if you don't believe me. :D

What happened was that the LH retrieve models were actually $5 more.   ::)  $5 * 0.8 = $4, So $52 + $4 = $56.

The MH20 code did not have a minimum, and included free shipping.  The later ICE25 code was even betterer!

They appear to be excellent reels.  Unfortunately, I have yet to have the opportunity to try out my ICX Carbon on the ice (but it drops all manner of jigs quite nicely in my living room).
You, of course, are 100% correct.  My senility took over and calculated the 20% discount on the LH model ($56 delivered to my door this week) and then I incorrectly applied it to the cost of the RH model.  My bad and apologies for the error.  Still a good deal whichever model one gets.  Tight lines to you Sir.

:icefish:
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2022, 07:41 AM »
Anyone have the piscifun and the 13 ghost that can compare quality, size, function?
I have 2 Ghost reels now and will be able to compare them shortly.  Mine have been shipped and are scheduled to be delivered later this week (I hope).
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline aacosta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2022, 10:06 AM »
will be watching for the comparison review, thanks

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2022, 04:17 PM »
Delivery will be next week (Jan 11). 
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2022, 05:30 PM »
After reading the above posts and some reviews, I ordered an ICX Carbon.

I ordered it on Dec 28th and it was delivered on Jan 3rd

They were sold out of the red ones but looks like they are back in stock.

Very impressed so far and will be using it this weekend.

Thank You for the recommendation.

Order Summary

Piscifun ICX Carbon Ice Fishing Reel, 3.2:1 Inline FreeSpool Ice Reel Magnetic Drop System 8+1 Shielded BB × 1
Sliver & Black / Right Hand  $64.99

Discount (SUBS15) $-9.74 

Subtotal $55.25

Shipping $0.00 

Total $55.25 USD

Good Luck All :tipup:

Offline Dakpheasant

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2022, 08:40 PM »
I would also vote for the 13 Descent.  I have a few of those and a cold gear #8 and a Scheels brand.  I'm pretty positive all 3 brands are the same copy of each other.   All of them are under $40.  Once I learned to use the inline reels I quit using anything else.  I usually have 6 lb test on all of them. 

Offline Laststandard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2022, 08:41 AM »
Have always been curious about the Piscifun stuff and you guys finally pushed me over the edge.  Ordered an IceX Carbon inline and a Viper X 1000 size spinning.  The ICE25 code is still on for 25% off, total came to $78 for those two reels.  Excited to try out the inline, should be here in time for the trout opener next weekend.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2022, 10:03 AM »
I would also vote for the 13 Descent.  I have a few of those and a cold gear #8 and a Scheels brand.  I'm pretty positive all 3 brands are the same copy of each other.   All of them are under $40.  Once I learned to use the inline reels I quit using anything else.  I usually have 6 lb test on all of them.
If you're happy with the Decent reel, I'm happy for you.  But having tried the push button release reels vs the trigger release reels, I would never want to go back to the push button release.  Trigger release gives you instant control of the line drop at all times.  That is a plus that makes the increased cost worth it for me.  If you're on a very tight budget, then the push button release reels are still better than the spinning reels for ice fishing - again, in my opinion.  But tight lines to all y'all regardless of your preference.

:icefish:
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2022, 07:49 AM »
I have a couple of the 13 descent reels and they’ve worked great for me for what they are priced at.  Can’t complain, I’m sure there are some nicer feeling ones out there but at twice the cost or more.

Offline BlackDucksAndBrownDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2022, 02:19 PM »
Just received an ICX Carbon today.  Looks and feels great out of the box. Build quality seems much higher than the price point.

I won't test it until the Pannie Drop'r gets here -- probably mid-February. 

I do like my Black Betty Freefalls so I hope it compares.

Note that I wanted another (original) Black Betty for shallow water.  They're apparently unavailable and the Piscifun pricing (after discount) is pretty tough to beat.  The ICX is probably overkill for pumpkinseeds, but at $55, who cares?

I also got a pair of the SS pliers.  Again, the build quality far exceeds the price point (20 bucks after discount??!!)

Offline BlackDucksAndBrownDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 26, 2022, 01:45 PM »
Finally used the ICX Carbon for the first time this morning.

A little chilly today -- low single digits at first light and high teens when I quit at 11:30.  No shack today so it was a real world test.

I'm pretty impressed.  No problem dropping a 4mm tungsten as long as the guides were free of ice.  I've taken half the magnets out and would say the drop speed is a little slower than my Black Betty Freefalls but I didn't get a single overrun.

Cranking is smooth too.

Perch bite was terrible but I landed two small lake trout.  Both made several deep runs.  The drag is buttery smooth.

I can't reach the trigger with my right index finger.  It's pretty simple to use my left hand.  But, I would say the trigger is the only minor shortcoming.

So far,I think the ICX Carbon solidly competes with the Freefalls.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 26, 2022, 04:57 PM »
So far,I think the ICX Carbon solidly competes with the Freefalls.
I have 2-each of both and use both all the time and would agree 100%.  The ICX are my go-to perch setups and the Free Falls are my go-to Jacker setups for trout.  No problem with drags on either brand.
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Mar 01, 2022, 07:56 AM »
13 descent.  Get them for 32 bucks when they go on sale.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.