Author Topic: Quick Strike Rig  (Read 7876 times)

Offline Big E

• Team IceShanty Regular
Quick Strike Rig
« on: Dec 23, 2006, 05:14 PM »
Got some wire quick strike rigs with #8 trebles for my tipup.  Set it up today with some dead shiners and had three flags but no fish.  First flag the reel was spinning as soon as I got there and I tensioned the line and then gave it a jerk.  Nothing.  I then remembered I'm supposed to wait for the second run but I got too excited.   ;D

Second flag I waited for the second run and then gave it a jerk.  Felt fish for a bit and then pulled up one hook with the other hook gone.  Can pike bite thru wire?

Last flag I waited for the second run but never happened...pulled up empty hooks.

Any advice for my first pike thru the ice?

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Quick Strike Rig
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2006, 09:51 PM »
With Pike you have to let them run and stop so they turn the bait to swallow it. Then you set the hook(s). From there the fun begins!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Kim    :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2006, 12:54 AM »
I do the same.  Wait till the spool slows down to set the hook.  And if I haven't actually seen the flag pop up, I don't know how many runs its already taken or hasn't taken, so I just set the hook when the spool slows to where its barely spinning, even if it may only be after one run.  Thats one thing I like about quick strikes, they are called quickstrikes for a reason, you don't always have to let them run and play with it.  But let it go a second time if you know its only taken one run, to be sure.  I rarely loose a fish after the hookset with quick-strikes, with barbless hooks too.

You may have just had some small fish playing with you're bait, which is why you missed.  And if you're rigs were store bought and made with crimps, one may have pulled out.  Just one reason I prefer to make my own.  8)  Oh yeah also try using smelt, I think you'll have better luck, especially if you're using dead bait anyways.

Offline akdg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2006, 07:10 AM »
Got some wire quick strike rigs with #8 trebles for my tipup.  Set it up today with some dead shiners and had three flags but no fish.  First flag the reel was spinning as soon as I got there and I tensioned the line and then gave it a jerk.  Nothing.  I then remembered I'm supposed to wait for the second run but I got too excited.   ;D

Second flag I waited for the second run and then gave it a jerk.  Felt fish for a bit and then pulled up one hook with the other hook gone.  Can pike bite thru wire?

Last flag I waited for the second run but never happened...pulled up empty hooks.

Any advice for my first pike thru the ice?

I think you got some bad quickstrike rigs, a few years ago HT had a batch of them that the sliding hook was only held on by the rubber tubing ???  Check all the ones you bought and make sure that the wire is running through the hook eye.  As for setting the hook, as soon as you get to your tipup if the line is going out set the hook!!  The sooner the better.  If you wait to long they might swallow both hooks or have a chance to drop it. 

pcsminer

« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2006, 10:43 PM »
Imake my own "quick strike" rig but i use #2 hooks and i hardly loose fish...i let them run then when they stop and then start again thats when i set the hook.

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2007, 04:12 PM »
hey pcsminer those are some dandy pike you have there, but I would be willing to bet you would improve the number of flags you get by dropping to a size 8 or 10 trebble, instead of a 2. Just some advice, no pun intended.
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2007, 04:18 PM »
Hey AMC..I hear ya on the smaller treble hooks, but personally I don't use anything except a 2/0 hook or a #4..never anything smaller.  I've had 2/0's straightened out before so I like the heavier hook "just in case". Nice pike you've got in your avatar!!

I've considered going to a smaller hook at times but stick with the 2's and 4's......I'll bet pcsminer uses the larger hooks because of the larger sized fish he can potentially hook into...Esox
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline Logan22

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish-a-holic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2007, 11:11 PM »
How do you guys set up a quickstrike rig with treble hooks?  Can someone take a pic for me...because I have had a few hits, but nothing on the other end.  I use 5-6 inch dead bait.  Thanks.
Born to FISH, Forced to WORK!

Offline pituko

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2007, 04:59 PM »
Nice fish pcsminer!!!  How big are those fish?  25# +  Awesome!!!   I have caught some nice pike too and always use the second run rule.  It always seems to work!  Good luck!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2007, 05:41 PM »
How do you guys set up a quickstrike rig with treble hooks?  Can someone take a pic for me...because I have had a few hits, but nothing on the other end.  I use 5-6 inch dead bait.  Thanks.

The hook on the end is crimped, but the second sleeve is left uncrimped so the rig is adjustable. I put the spinner blades on there for extra flash and to satisfy Minnesota's legal requirements. ::)

What you see for components are 20# uncoated surfstrand, No.1 surfstrand crimp sleeves, No.8 Eagle Claw trebles, and 30Lb. swivel on the end. The whole rig is about 24'' long. I also make a batch with No. 4 trebles for larger baits. I am  currently also experementing with blood red hooks.

I rarely miss a strike with these. The uncoated wire is a must in my opinion if you expect a walleye in the mix with the pike. It seems when the rigging becomes too coarse, the walleyes disappear along with the larger pike.

Offline slimechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Who ya gonna call?
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2007, 05:51 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

The hook on the end is crimped, but the second sleeve is left uncrimped so the rig is adjustable. I put the spinner blades on there for extra flash and to satisfy Minnesota's legal requirements. ::)

What you see for components are 20# uncoated surfstrand, No.1 surfstrand crimp sleeves, No.8 Eagle Claw trebles, and 30Lb. swivel on the end. The whole rig is about 24'' long. I also make a batch with No. 4 trebles for larger baits. I am  currently also experementing with blood red hooks.

I rarely miss a strike with these. The uncoated wire is a must in my opinion if you expect a walleye in the mix with the pike. It seems when the rigging becomes too coarse, the walleyes disappear along with the larger pike.

I like your rigs skipper. except for hook size, it's just like the comercial ones we get here. but these have hooks in the 2/0 range. They work, but a lot of fish pass it by. Those #8s are even a little big. Let us know how the colored hooks work out.
Official Capt Ahab of the MIRC - "thar she blows"  
 Got nymph?   Some days your the bug and some days your the windshield.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2007, 06:12 PM »
I like your rigs skipper. except for hook size, it's just like the comercial ones we get here. but these have hooks in the 2/0 range. They work, but a lot of fish pass it by. Those #8s are even a little big. Let us know how the colored hooks work out.

I have had problems with No.10 hooks ripping out of the pikes mouth. It seems they just don't hook deeply enough into the pike's flesh for a positive connection. I also Fish larger baits much of the time, an 8'' sucker is not unordinary. I want to try some of those Partridge VB double hooks to lighten up the rig, but I have been unable to find them locally.

I want to tie some up with Malin Boa Shock Leader too, but that stuff is $$$$$$$$$$. ;D

Offline X-Rap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2007, 06:39 PM »
Skipper what are you using as a sleave on your sliding hook to keep it in place in place? I'm using flourocarbon leader and electrical shrink wrap around the shank of the hook. Do you think using the blades on still tip up would help? I use dead bait because of regulations.

pcsminer

« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2007, 10:15 PM »
Nice fish pcsminer!!!  How big are those fish?  25# +  Awesome!!!   I have caught some nice pike too and always use the second run rule.  It always seems to work!  Good luck!
the top one was 29# the second 24#

pcsminer

« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2007, 10:19 PM »
I have had problems with No.10 hooks ripping out of the pikes mouth. It seems they just don't hook deeply enough into the pike's flesh for a positive connection. I also Fish larger baits much of the time, an 8'' sucker is not unordinary. I want to try some of those Partridge VB double hooks to lighten up the rig, but I have been unable to find them locally.

I want to tie some up with Malin Boa Shock Leader too, but that stuff is $$$$$$$$$$. ;D
8 inch bait??? we typically use nothing smaller than 10-12"

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2007, 06:28 AM »

A lot of times down this way, even the 8 inch bait is bigger than we can get on a regular basis.  Most of the shiners we can purchase are the 6 inch stuff.

I've tried using some of the larger sucker baits when available and had little success, seems like what we call the "larger" stuff works better around these parts.  YOu catch some nice sized pike, wish we had them in that range around here.......Esox
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline macker13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2007, 06:47 AM »
I use a single treble hook.  Size 2 or 4.  I dorsal hook the bait and seldom miss a stike.  Pike generally tend to grab the bait in the middle so with the dosal hooked fish, the hook almost always ends up in the top and front of the mouth.

For walleyes, I do the same, but with size 6 hooks.  Again, I have few missed hook ups.

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2007, 05:38 PM »
I switched to red hooks on 3 of my 5 tipups, and every flag and fish I caught was on the 3 with the red hooks. I had one flag on the other ones, deffiantly a big improvement.
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2007, 06:47 PM »
Skipper what are you using as a sleave on your sliding hook to keep it in place in place? I'm using flourocarbon leader and electrical shrink wrap around the shank of the hook. Do you think using the blades on still tip up would help? I use dead bait because of regulations.

I use a no.1 uncrimped sleeve made by Surf strand to keep the second hook in place. I slide the sleeve on, then the hook, and then put the line back through the sleeve to form a loop. I don't use electrical shrink wrap because it wont stay where I put it, its always sliding down and making my minnow swim funny. ;D

I don't know if the spinners do any harm or good, but they are required by Minnesota law. In Mn. you are allowed one hook per line, a treble hook is considered three. A quick strike has two trebles, so it is considered six hooks on one line. There is a way to skirt this law though, an artificial lure like a crank bait or a spinner rig is considered "one hook". ::) What you see is not a quick strike rig, it is an in line spinner tipped with live bait. 8) I have had conservation officers inspect my rigs, and they don't say a thing. Welcome to Minnesota, where fishing is barely legal! ::)

I fish Mille Lacs frequently, and I don't want to discourage any hungry walleyes from grabbing my rig! 8'' is my maximum size I feel comfortable with presenting to walleyes. I reserve the "decoy" sized baits for lakes I don't expect any walleyes to show up in the mix. I then use a quick strike with size four hooks. I seldom use big baits though, they are expensive! ;D

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2007, 08:25 PM »
I seldom use big baits though, they are expensive! ;D

haha catch them yourself! it makes them very unexpensive

Offline nalegtx

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • HARDCORE!!!...
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2007, 01:42 AM »
I fish a lot of pike in ME and use 2/0 gorilla bait hooks from gamakitsu....work great never loose fish.....we also use golden shiners from 4-7 inch and suckers over 6".good luck guys
" Can't get there from here...no......"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.