Author Topic: Jigging for pike  (Read 8371 times)

Offline Indie

• Team IceShanty Addict
Jigging for pike
« on: Dec 28, 2010, 07:46 AM »

How's it done? I am trying to catch big fish on the jig rod this year and don't have any ideas for lures. Flashy Spoons?

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Jigging for pike
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2010, 04:31 PM »
I caught my two biggest this year on small chubby darters fishing for perch.  The big one was 46"
Blake from Elbow

Offline Indie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2010, 05:34 PM »
The big one was 46"

:o Wowser! I have some chubby darters, ill try em.

Anyone else?

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2010, 10:45 PM »
I'm going to be trying the Giant Chubby Darters this year.  ;D

Anyway, I've caught pikes on just about any of the ice fishing lures.  Even my bluegill jigs tips with a plastic has on occasion caught me a pike.  However I personally like lures that flutter or wobble, so a spoon is usually one of my other first choice for jigging.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline ripalip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2010, 10:49 PM »
quick-strike rig... like 2 3 inch leaders with a treble on each, tip em with a couple of med-large shiners, seems the more lines the better..imitates a school i guess??

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2010, 08:39 AM »
Very large Jiggin Raps, Chubby Darters, large spoons and Airplane jigs.

I have not caught a huge pike (yet) but it is fun to catch 'em jigging.

I use #20 Fireline tied to a snap swivel and a stiff rod.
Make sure the drag on your reel is set.

I would lower the lure down to the bottom, jig hard and aggressive then hold the lure stationary for up to 30 seconds.

reel up a couple of feet and repeat.

Don't be daydreaming.  The hits are violent, and can tear the rod out of your hand  if you're not paying attention.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline esoxeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2010, 05:17 PM »
I had good luck last year with buckshot spoons and medium and large tubes 5-8". I agree the hits can be violent. The larger tubes I use a MH Makinaw rod with a Calcutta 200, 30 lb braid and fluro. leader.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2010, 11:28 PM »
I forgot all about the tubes.

Bright Green and Orange is the best color.  I have had some issues with hooking fish though.

Buckshot spoons also work great.

Wiener

Offline Indie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2011, 08:43 AM »
Thanks guys, great tips!

Offline esoxeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2011, 09:17 AM »
A head hook will increase hook up percentage when using tubes for pike and muskie, basically its just a treble held at the top of the tube within and inch from the tip, you can make your own or buy a pre-made harness with this hook already attached.

Offline getsomekayak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2011, 03:29 PM »
since we are on the topic...what does everyone suggest for a baitcasting reel for jigging for pike/walleye. I just picked up a st.croix 34" H rod, and it is a casting rod. Just trying to figure out what people are using as a reel...there is not much selection

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2011, 01:18 AM »
I tried a perch Lindy Darter 2" long.  It worked in the first 10 minutes.  I landed a 36" pike.  I was fishing 9 feet of water and could hear the rattles on the ice with the jig 1' off the bottom.  Called another pike in shortly after but that one was not interested. 

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2011, 01:47 PM »
since we are on the topic...what does everyone suggest for a baitcasting reel for jigging for pike/walleye. I just picked up a st.croix 34" H rod, and it is a casting rod. Just trying to figure out what people are using as a reel...there is not much selection

I just picked up that same rod as well.  I've attached my Shimano Citica on it at the moment.  50# Sufix 832 braid at the moment.

I've been kind of thinking about getting an Abu Garcia Record reel, but that's around $150 ball park price.

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2011, 04:42 PM »
I just picked up that same rod as well.  I've attached my Shimano Citica on it at the moment.  50# Sufix 832 braid at the moment.

I've been kind of thinking about getting an Abu Garcia Record reel, but that's around $150 ball park price.

How do you like that new braid?Just picked up some 40lb..Curious how it likes the cold
Jig em up!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2011, 05:02 PM »
That Sufix 832 looks very promising.  Not as soft as Spiderwire Stealth, but softer than Fireline braid.  The 50# actually feels like it has more body than equal Sufix Performance braid in 50#.  I found that clear Gore thread to make the line look kindof funny striped in just the right lighting.  I can confirm that both the 30# and 20# does have 8 threads.  That's way better than regular Sufix Performance braid at 6 threads for 30# and only 4 threads for 20#.

I might have to bring my regular rod out so I can practice casting the stuff to see how it feels too.  ;D

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2011, 05:28 PM »
That Sufix 832 looks very promising.  Not as soft as Spiderwire Stealth, but softer than Fireline braid.  The 50# actually feels like it has more body than equal Sufix Performance braid in 50#.  I found that clear Gore thread to make the line look kindof funny striped in just the right lighting.  I can confirm that both the 30# and 20# does have 8 threads.  That's way better than regular Sufix Performance braid at 6 threads for 30# and only 4 threads for 20#.

I might have to bring my regular rod out so I can practice casting the stuff to see how it feels too.  ;D

I've always used spiderwire stealth for jigging..Tried the fireline braid last year and did not care for it..It just seemed to stiff once it got real cold out..Thanks for the help..
Jig em up!

Offline getsomekayak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2011, 06:52 PM »
Im not a fan of fireline either, casts weird and is too stiff for my liking. I have gone with power pro on my openwater rigs. What are you using for leader? I use floro leaders on my tip ups connected with a barrel swivel...but that is not pratical on a pole.

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2011, 07:34 PM »
Im not a fan of fireline either, casts weird and is too stiff for my liking. I have gone with power pro on my openwater rigs. What are you using for leader? I use floro leaders on my tip ups connected with a barrel swivel...but that is not pratical on a pole.

Thats what I run.braid to flouro,with a barrel swivel..15lb for lakers,20lb for pike
Jig em up!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2011, 09:04 PM »
I've been lazy and haven't been using my flouro leaders...I will put some on, sometime.  ;)

Offline getsomekayak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2011, 09:30 PM »
Thats what I run.braid to flouro,with a barrel swivel..15lb for lakers,20lb for pike

Thanks for the response...just rigged mine up with 20lb power pro, barrel swivel, and a 40lb floro leader. I ended up purchasing an abu garcia bcx 6600 for the rod... my roomate has one on his openwater pike/musky pole and likes it...so I figured I would buy it so I can switch it over to another pole when I buy a musky pole this upcoming openwater season.

Offline Fish-N-Chicks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2011, 09:35 PM »
Forty Six Inches Thats a keeper  ::)

Offline Basshole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 22, 2011, 07:50 PM »
i was sight fishing in about 10 fow for gills today and seen a pike about 30 in threw the hole. i kept jigging and had him hit the small teardrop with a spike on it. too bad i was using 3/4 lb test thread. needless to say the line snapped. unfortunately this happened  twice today. i think im going to try jigging for pike there next time. definitely need to bring the stiffer rod and heavier line.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2011, 04:38 PM »
I like jigging for pike, when they are aggressive it's a good thing to do. :tipup:

I have had luck on spoons, like the good old Len Thompson, Pelican spoon {print on both sides} little Cleo's, and any spoon that rattles.

Soft plastic are another good option.
I like fish looking ones like storm wildeyes, Mr. twister sassy shads and others like that.
Single and double tail soft plastics can work as well as crayfish and salamander soft plastics.
Scented soft plastic is always good and it don't hurt to jig a minnow, smelt or other baitfish.

For hard plastics I had good luck with rattle baits like the rattlin' rap, and had some luck on the chubby darter and husky jerks.

WW

Offline spoxick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Mar 06, 2011, 11:29 PM »
<------ she was jiggged up with a spoon and a chunk of smelt

Offline Zoo Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't sweat the small fish!
« Reply #24 on: Mar 12, 2011, 03:29 AM »
I have done really well using the PK Lures Spoon this season on all species.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.