Author Topic: Not sure how to use a steel leader??  (Read 10143 times)

Offline Clearwater

• Team IceShanty Regular
Not sure how to use a steel leader??
« on: Dec 30, 2009, 11:12 PM »
I'm trying to go pike fishing in the morning, and I'm not really sure how to use these steel leaders. My main concern is how do I attach the hook?? Do you attach it directly to the leader itself??? I hope somebody understands my confusion, just pretty confused. The leaders I bought don't exactly say steel leader, they are called "Micro-leaders." Any help would greatly be appreciated.  ???

Offline warwin125

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Not sure how to use a steel leader??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2010, 09:10 AM »
you need sleeves that will alow you to crimp the hook and crimp the barrel swivel that you will tie to your line :tipup:
SHUT UP AND FISH!

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2010, 06:06 PM »
I'm a little confused?

does the leader have a snap swivel on one end, and a regular barrel swivel on the other??

If it has the snap swivel, thats where the hooks goes.

Or do you have just a spool of leader material??
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline rawrightII

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Water Wolves
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2010, 06:37 PM »
dont take this the wrong way. but throw those steel leaders away and go get some flurocarbon.

Offline NJ PIKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Huntin 4 Forties
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2010, 12:35 PM »
Get some malin Ti leader :tipup:

Big BAIT :tipup: Big ESOX                                                                   <><      }*)))))))))))))))))))><{

Offline HardWaterMachine31

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2010, 11:17 PM »
Snapswivel is where the hook or lure goes, just tie the line to the barrel swivel. If its just leader material youll have to make your own. I like to use longer steel leaders (18-24) when i fish for pike or skis so they dont have that chance of getting above it. I 've never used floro, dont see the need for it and i wouldn't chance it. Pike and muskie are curious by nature and will often strike multiple times.  

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.