Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Iowa Great Lakes  (Read 17889 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: Iowa Great Lakes
« Reply #30 on: Jan 19, 2021, 11:27 PM »
Broken stuff... broken stuff as far as the eye can see.

Hey, I haven't used this corn sheller in 3 years... and it's somehow broken now, despite being fine last time we used it.  :roflmao:

OMG.....is that not the truth.....you put stuff away or in the shed in good working condition.....they you pull it out and are like.....**censored**....

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 20, 2021, 02:32 AM »
I see what your trying to say....but thats just labor......it's like a guy flipping burgers calling himself a chef. sure he flipped and cooked a burger....but he isn't a chef that planned, timed and cooked a full course meal. It's like the guy pounding nails in the cathedral........sayin g he built it....sure he "built it" but he didn't plan, designing or figure out the stuff that matters.

If it's a small farm operation there isn't much to it......but when you have scale.....it gets pretty complicated. Making sure everyone is effecient for fuel, labor, machine hrs, and time.  Timing things at harvest to fill contracts.....not harvesting to wet or to dry. Keeping trucking to a minnimum & trucking to the right place for the better price. Contracting fuel having it delivered to the fuel shuttles. Shipping or selling the grain....fertilizer pricing chem programs.

For example this fall/winter prepay, Having the connections and time to help with the pricing and negotiating.....I was able to shave $15,000 cost of the chem side for next year $20,000 off soybean seed purchases, and another $12,000 off seed corn purchases. Then the negotiation on when to pay vs when they want.....another $10,000 saved in less interest. All done while driving a tractor with GPS guidance.
Wow, with all that money saved the farm might actually end up in the black.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 20, 2021, 02:35 AM »
Anyone have any actual fishing information like is the water between the levels of ice starting to freeze? Some places there wasn't any but some places had 10-12" of really cold water between the frozen slush on top and the ice.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 20, 2021, 03:49 AM »
OMG.....is that not the truth.....you put stuff away or in the shed in good working condition.....they you pull it out and are like.....**censored**....
Yeah, the corn sheller just came to mind because it seemed like that thing was broken everytime it needed used.

I'm not a farmer and none of my family farms anymore (last little bit of the family land got sold off in the early 2000s) but used to help out when I was a kid, and worked on a few friends' farms.  Shelling corn and cutting thistles out of alfalfa were always the worst, imo... mostly because I hate snakes, and there were almost always snakes involved in those activities 😬

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #34 on: Jan 20, 2021, 08:32 AM »
Wow, with all that money saved the farm might actually end up in the black.

If you manage things right in a business like farming u never actually make money. When you make money it just gets reinvesting in assets to keep from paying a bunch of taxes. Hence why most farmers go to the day they die..Asset rich/cash poor......then Uncle Sam gets a windfall of tax money at the end....Death and taxes right. It comes down to stupid stuff like this.....should I pay taxes.....or should I pay for fuel, chemical, seed, and machinery I’ll need later.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #35 on: Jan 20, 2021, 08:37 AM »
Anyone have any actual fishing information like is the water between the levels of ice starting to freeze? Some places there wasn't any but some places had 10-12" of really cold water between the frozen slush on top and the ice.

I went with a buddy yesterday....he wanted to fish the south end of spirit....heard there was a good perch bite.

Well we got out at 7AM. Drove out to a 20ft area. Ice was probably 12-15in in spot we drilled. The snow slush on top of the ice there was all froze solid. Drove a 4 wheeler out with shack in tow. Marked a ton of fish...had a few light bites. Didn’t catch any. Wind was 30mph and about blowing the shack away so we packed up and left at noon. Was a pretty good lake/ground blizzard

Drove out of the spillway. The left side was refrozen and solid. Right side with cones still had an open water hole.

Driving hole few guys north of ritz. Smiths had a round 15shacks. Ice looked ok there from road.

Didn’t see or look but heard emerson was still a mess and had a few open spots yet.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 20, 2021, 08:55 AM »
If you manage things right in a business like farming u never actually make money. When you make money it just gets reinvesting in assets to keep from paying a bunch of taxes. Hence why most farmers go to the day they die..Asset rich/cash poor......then Uncle Sam gets a windfall of tax money at the end....Death and taxes right. It comes down to stupid stuff like this.....should I pay taxes.....or should I pay for fuel, chemical, seed, and machinery I’ll need later.
That sounds like torture.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 20, 2021, 09:00 AM »
Dont you need a camera on Spirit because they are mostly eating chironomids? Them little green and red worm looking things in their bellies are midge larvae. That's why the perch have mud on their nose sometimes and they barely bite.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #38 on: Jan 20, 2021, 09:08 AM »
Dont you need a camera on Spirit because they are mostly eating chironomids? Them little green and red worm looking things in their bellies are midge larvae. That's why the perch have mud on their nose sometimes and they barely bite.

Camera helps, but the front came through and they weren’t feeding or biting. I’ve got a camera. I wasn’t Big on the idea of spirit. Even when you find perch on that lake they seem to be schools roaming and it takes constant moving to keep on fish.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 20, 2021, 09:12 AM »
Yeah, I wouldn't spend 5 minutes on Spirit for perch.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #40 on: Jan 20, 2021, 12:55 PM »
Yeah, I wouldn't spend 5 minutes on Spirit for perch.

I’ve fished it twice this winter once early ice on anglers since fishable areas were limited and the ritz sucked that day.....all dinks at anglers besides 3-4 eaters that day. Then yesterday. I’ve never had a trip worth it to Spirit. Seems like a good trip is 6-7 eater perch and that’s about it.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 20, 2021, 02:33 PM »
Some years it's not bad at all. I used to fish Spirit every day. I would fish West in the morning until 3pm, go get something for lunch then try to be dragging out from the Spillway on Spirit by 330 to get a few eyes and some perch. And I would get a few every day. Idk what happened but around 10 years ago maybe, you couldn't buy a decent perch on Spirit.  Since then, its completely cyclical. Lots of nice ones or none. This year, it's none. I'm sure there are some but my summer buddies made me fish it a few times and we got zero over 10". I finally got them up to SD and we had a blast.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #42 on: Jan 20, 2021, 03:07 PM »
Some years it's not bad at all. I used to fish Spirit every day. I would fish West in the morning until 3pm, go get something for lunch then try to be dragging out from the Spillway on Spirit by 330 to get a few eyes and some perch. And I would get a few every day. Idk what happened but around 10 years ago maybe, you couldn't buy a decent perch on Spirit.  Since then, its completely cyclical. Lots of nice ones or none. This year, it's none. I'm sure there are some but my summer buddies made me fish it a few times and we got zero over 10". I finally got them up to SD and we had a blast.

Why did the Iowa DNR quit putting the creel data from lakes on the website? It would be nice to see the data and see what the slot limits and refs are doing.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 21, 2021, 06:49 PM »
Anybody out today? I am planning to go tomorrow. After I get a little sleep and probably work a few hours.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #44 on: Jan 21, 2021, 08:24 PM »
Anybody out today? I am planning to go tomorrow. After I get a little sleep and probably work a few hours.

Need someone to go with? I was thinking about going

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Jan 21, 2021, 08:47 PM »
I'll meet you up there. I have the worst schedule. I wake up and decide if I want to go to my pt job based on how I feel. I'll PM you my phone number

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #46 on: Jan 21, 2021, 09:26 PM »
I'll meet you up there. I have the worst schedule. I wake up and decide if I want to go to my pt job based on how I feel. I'll PM you my phone number

👍🏻

Offline Dwedemeier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Jan 28, 2021, 07:29 AM »
Have there been any trucks and wheelhouses out on any of the IGLs yet this year?

Offline JacksFisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 28, 2021, 09:27 AM »
Kabeles said on Facebook yesterday that permanents were going on at Spirit, so take that for what it's worth.  I mean, it is Kabeles...

Offline fowlfoolr1979

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Jan 28, 2021, 11:55 AM »
Have there been any trucks and wheelhouses out on any of the IGLs yet this year?

Wheelhouses yes, trucks no.  Accesses have not been in great shape this season so trucks are not going out on the lakes at this time.  ATVs and UTVs are going out and pulling permies on.

Layne

Offline fowlfoolr1979

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Jan 28, 2021, 11:57 AM »
Kabeles said on Facebook yesterday that permanents were going on at Spirit, so take that for what it's worth.  I mean, it is Kabeles...

Kabeles has great up to date info they give out on a weekly if not daily basis.  From fishing and ice reports to road conditions and newly stocked items at the store.  Great place to do business with and to be in touch with both before and when you arrive at the lake to fish.

Layne

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Jan 28, 2021, 12:39 PM »
Kabeles has great up to date info they give out on a weekly if not daily basis.  From fishing and ice reports to road conditions and newly stocked items at the store.  Great place to do business with and to be in touch with both before and when you arrive at the lake to fish.

Layne
That is what the typical out of towner thinks of them. Thank you for keeping their business open.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Jan 28, 2021, 06:54 PM »
I'm praying whoever is working on Shucks is gonna have gear and bait again. Poor Stans is gonna be hurting if they get good and start cleaning fish. Kabeles can keep posting bikini pics, some guys like those.

I'd think long and hard before I would haul a nice wheelhouse out right now with no cold weather forecast and snow every 3 days. Might be a chore getting it off the lake. We are one rainy day from really crappy access for wheeled traffic.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #53 on: Jan 28, 2021, 09:14 PM »
I'm praying whoever is working on Shucks is gonna have gear and bait again. Poor Stans is gonna be hurting if they get good and start cleaning fish. Kabeles can keep posting bikini pics, some guys like those.

I'd think long and hard before I would haul a nice wheelhouse out right now with no cold weather forecast and snow every 3 days. Might be a chore getting it off the lake. We are one rainy day from really crappy access for wheeled traffic.

I got back from upper red Monday nite. Caught our limits...but it was slow.....not bad fishing not great like it can be. Got a 36in northern. How did you fair the rest of Friday? Right when I was leaving to go to upper red they were just starting to actually bite.....

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #54 on: Jan 28, 2021, 09:24 PM »

If a person did, I wouldn't leave it out un attended. The ice is just so inconsistant and screwed up this year.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Jan 28, 2021, 09:26 PM »
Like the rest of the day. Every time a nice one came in, 5 babies rushed in front of it to get your bait. I went back to Emerson Sunday, far fewer fish but better size ratio. My buddy caught one about 10.5",  beautiful fish.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #56 on: Jan 28, 2021, 09:57 PM »

Layne

Kabele's is a nice place. Great bait store and lots of good tackle/items. People are mostly friendly. Here is the problem with Kabele's. They are pretty fake about a lot of things.......actually most things if I am truthful. Anything they do is to get you INTO the bait shop to BUY stuff. I understand, that is how you make money and They want people to stop in. What is a joke.....how they do it and approach stuff. They "claim"they want to help people be safe....yet it's has to do with coming into their shop for info.....95% of the fishing info is NEVER accurate typically even false besides ice conditions reports

For example they complain people were calling in for ice information.....they were to busy you need to stop into the shop....yet they  do a weekly posting on FB.....but a weekly ice report on the phone is dangerous because things change in an hr....I mean here is the reply they gave me when I mentioned it.

I mean Stan's no problem.....he'll give ice reports and information.....if you want to "know" about the bite....he simply says you need to stop and look at the board. Thing about Stan's.....his board is usually pretty close to what you experiance.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #57 on: Jan 28, 2021, 10:02 PM »
Like the rest of the day. Every time a nice one came in, 5 babies rushed in front of it to get your bait. I went back to Emerson Sunday, far fewer fish but better size ratio. My buddy caught one about 10.5",  beautiful fish.

"Lol...u going tomorrow ..... Thinking I might saddle up and go.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Jan 29, 2021, 08:53 PM »
I did go today. It was pretty tough sledding. Few guys on Smith

Offline hoppy63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 29, 2021, 09:31 PM »
Facebook marketplace has gotten me into trouble several times. So I agree. But I deleted it because I'm an American and FB is anti-American.

Here here.......as well as twitter.....tweet tweet

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.