Author Topic: Polarized sunglass suggestions  (Read 1634 times)

Offline fishnnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Polarized sunglass suggestions
« on: Feb 06, 2011, 10:40 AM »
Would like to get a decent quality pair of polarized sunglasses maybe some type of mirror finish for ice fishing and all around outdoors I guess and don't want to spend $200 for Oakley's does anybody have any suggestions? I know you can buy a $10 pair or a $200 pair but there has to be some kind of quality difference not just $190...... Anybody? Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
Re: Polarized sunglass suggestions
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2011, 09:30 AM »
I wear Oakley polarized glasses and love them. More than anything you need something that blocks where the light can come in on the glasses. You can cup your hands around your glasses or find a pair that has some sort of flairs over the usual openings.

Offline duramaxdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2011, 09:35 AM »
Costa Del Mar. Gotta respect them, if mine arent covering my eyes they are in the case. The choices are endless i Know their are manufactures who  makes pairs that float! very good idea. I rock mine with a full brim hat, gotta keep the light out as mentioned earlier.

Offline Pork

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2011, 09:42 AM »
I like the Flying Fishermen line-up. Link here---> http://www.fishusa.com/Flying-Fisherman-Polarized-Sunglasses_p.html
For cheap polarized glasses they give the best performance I've found.
Pretty durable too. I used my last pair for 2 seasons, due for a new set this year though.
I have the Rio model in smoke/blue.
If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes. ;)

Offline HardWaterMachine31

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2011, 10:40 AM »
I wear Wiley X. I got a pair with a rebate for my Abu Garcia Revo baitcaster two summers ago. Mine are the P-17's ($130 in Cabelas), they came with two different lanyards to keep them on your head. I liked them alot so I bought a pair of Airrages ($140). These have their Facial cavity seal that is removable and helps block out peripheral light, dust, and especially the wind. They are perfect for windy days on the ice and keep your eyes from watering. They are also certifed as safety glasses. www.wileyx.com

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2011, 07:43 AM »
I wear nice polarized safety glasses, kills two birds with one stone.  I usually get 20-35 dollar pairs about twice a year....would never spend 200 bucks on a pair of glasses because they get trashed and/or lost so frequently!! 

Offline Krazykaiser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2011, 10:47 PM »
I wear nice polarized safety glasses, kills two birds with one stone.  I usually get 20-35 dollar pairs about twice a year....would never spend 200 bucks on a pair of glasses because they get trashed and/or lost so frequently!! 

So True!  I just got Umpteenth pair of Glasses today. There called Sea strikers. Have yet to use them, lets hope I don't the headaches I got from my last lost pair!

Offline jmillsp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2011, 12:11 PM »
+1 on the Costa del mar. 

Definitely not a good choice for the guy who doesn't know how to care for his stuff, however those of you that can these glasses are unmatched.  Simple rule is, if they arent on my face they're in the case, and the case that comes with these is just about bullet proof.  They come with a lifetime warrantee and their customer service is top notch.

I did a little shopping around for mine and found them for significantly less than their MSRP.  Still not cheap by any means but as much time as i spend outdoors and on the water just seems stupid to skimp on good glasses. I went with their new 580 high def polarized glass lenses and there is no comparison to my old Maui Jims(not cheap either).

Big thing is make sure you try them on and they fit you and they are comfortable.  That should go with out saying when spending a good amount of money on a quality pair of sunglasses.
X2 and if you are getting old like me, check out the bifocals! They are set low in the lens and work great!
KeepfishN4fun

Offline walliceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting to ice that first eye!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2011, 10:54 PM »
X2 for wiley x... they double as safety glasses too. Win win!

Offline onebadc20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2011, 12:56 AM »
I like Calcutta sunglasses. And the price is right ;D

Offline St.Croix

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2011, 03:11 PM »
I have heard good things about costa but I've always been partial to smith or action optics. Good stuff but you have to pay the price which insn't cheap
><(((o>  ..............><(((o>   .................. ><(((o>

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2011, 11:42 AM »
going on 5 years with my H3O's, 3 different lense choices and a lifetime warrenty. Once you buy a quality pair you'll never wear Wal Mart cheapies again.

Offline 5galbucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2011, 08:10 PM »
Costa's are a great PC polarized glass, I wear them all the time. You can get a sweet deal on them online on places like steepandcheap.com if you are flexible about which model to buy, about 50% off or more at times.  I've also seen other glasses on there.
Rule #1:  Never tell your story first.

Offline tipupfrenzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2011, 11:28 AM »
rapapla polarized fishing glasses,  16 dollars and not a bad pair of glasses for the price
Fishing is a tough job, but im willing to Tackle it!

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2011, 06:28 PM »
rapapla polarized fishing glasses,  16 dollars and not a bad pair of glasses for the price

Berkley's got some good ones as well now.  I have a pair that I love and if they were to take a swim or find their way under my but or boot I wouldn't want to throw up afterwards.  I have a pair of ray bans I don't let get near a boat as well.
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline Polarised

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 25, 2011, 08:40 PM »
Costa Del Mar....yep, yep yep

Offline Hando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 25, 2011, 09:03 PM »
Ocean Waves.  Lifetime warranty pays huge dividends. Have had two pairs replaced no questions asked.
"3/4 of the Earth's surface is water, and 1/4 is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.