Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Fishing Live Baits and Plastics

Minnow care at home?

(1/3) > >>

fishEH:
What do you guys do for keeping crappie minnows and roach minnows alive at home? I'd like to buy about 6 dozen at once snd just keep them at my house.
I've had OK luck keeping them in a fish tank with its own filter. Last year I tried to run the minnow tank off a wet/dry filter I had plumbed into my 75 gallon, but I had a lot of dead loss.

HWeber:
Cold clean water. Sounds like you got the clean part down.  In my experience the colder the better as long as their not froze

Iceassin:

--- Quote from: HWeber on Nov 21, 2018, 07:19 PM ---Cold clean water. Sounds like you got the clean part down.  In my experience the colder the better as long as their not froze

--- End quote ---

...and if you are using municipal water, let it sit in a container, uncapped,  for a day or so as most are chlorinated, fluoridated,  etc. which could be harmful to the fish. Keep it cold and fresh and PLENTY of oxygen ...high quality/high volume air pump. Good luck.

Tjtroutslayer89:
There’s so many variables if you are keeping them in a tank but I’m guessing just like with any pet fish you need the filters cycled first. That might be a good start.

fishEH:
I'm on well water, but maybe I'll move the tank out to my garage rhis year. Water should stay colder out there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version