Author Topic: tanaka 270 carb part number  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Warhawk

• IceShanty Rookie
tanaka 270 carb part number
« on: Dec 27, 2020, 09:32 AM »
Hello,

i have a tanaka power head, model number TED 270 PFDH that i think needs a carb cleaning or a new carb.   having a heck of a time finding the carb kit for it.  i think this should be a relatively simple exercise but for some reason i can't figure it out.

the carb has walbro  WYJ 463 and 833 stamped on the bottom of the carb.   not sure if the part number is the 463 or 833 or both.   wondering if anyone can help figure out which repair kit i need?? 

btw, the unit starts fine, idles fine, but likes to bog down once its powered up....bogs down both drilling a hole and if i just run it with the auger cover on it. 

any help would be appreciated thanks

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: tanaka 270 carb part number
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2020, 09:58 AM »
might just need to adjust that carb.  use the search function in the upper right to locate older threads with details and pix.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2020, 10:03 AM »

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2020, 10:08 AM »
Call Jack's if you think you need parts. Ordered a lot from them in the past. The WYJ is carb part#, the 3 is the series. Be sure a kit is what you need.
Bogging doesn't necessarily mean you need to rebuild the entire crab. Just a tiny pinhole in the diaphragm can cause that, and that may be  all you need, or high-speed adjustment. WYJ-463 is the carb model. Widely used on string trimmers, blowers, etc.

For anyone with a TED270-PFDH, the carb is a Walbro WYJ-463. Rebuild kit is K20-WYJ, this one:

https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/part/walbro/k20wy
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2020, 10:46 AM »
Great information above could also try this

Fill auger tank 1/4 w/proper oil/gas mix to that add Seafoam 2oz or more ...mix ....run auger till warmed up...then kill motor via the choke(so to saturate the working innards)  .....let sit half hour repeat ...let sit over night ...should fix some of the woes .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2020, 04:14 PM »
Guess he didn't need help that bad.  ::)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Warhawk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2020, 09:29 PM »
no i needed the help, didn't get to mess with the auger until today....did the nail trick to pull out that plastic grommet and adjusted the carb slightly.   had to look at the picture in the thread posted by baetis62 above real close.   used the wrong end of the nail at first...ha.   realized you need to heat the head of the nail   worked like a charm.  turned the adjustment screw out about 1/2 turn .    still liked to bog down on the first hole but improved after letting it warm up real good. 

also ordered the rebuild kit posted by rebless

thanks for the help, adjusting the carb was good advice.   gonna play with it more tomorrow and will report back 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.