Author Topic: what kinda tipup is best  (Read 3298 times)

raleigh

what kinda tipup is best
« on: Feb 07, 2004, 11:00 PM »
What kinda tipup is best? Can i go to a tackle shop and by the ones for 3.99, or will i get what i paid for. Never used one before. Just curious what would work the best ?

mooseslayer

Re: what kinda tipup is best
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2004, 11:14 PM »
YOU CAN GET THE GREEN WOODEN ONES FROM US LINE, I BELIEVE THAT WALMART CARRIES THEM I. I HAD A SET FOR TWENTY YEARS AND THEY SERVED ME FINE. I  BELIEVE THEYRE ABOUT 8 TO 10 BUCKS, OR YOU CAN GO 1 UP TO THE HERITAGE LAKERS WHICH IS A VERY DURABLE, WELL MADE TIP UP THAT WILL LAST YOU A LIFE TIME( HAD MINE 10YRS NOW). THEY ARE ALSO CARRIED AT WALMART FOR ABOUT $18. BOTH WILL DO YOU WELL.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2004, 11:50 PM »
i have heritage lakers, and consider them to be the best. however,i have 3 - 5 kids with me everytime i go  fishing, and have buckets full of traps ranging from 3.99 to 11.99 !!and they all,year after year,work fine and catch just as many fish .they just require a little more maintenance :'(

Offline Jigmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you ain't jigging you ain't fishin'
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2004, 06:01 AM »
Do yourself a favor and go out on the ice and talk to the locals and see for yourself what they are using and the pros and cons. I have windlass for warm weather, polar tipups for cold weather with no snow on the ice and Heritage Lakers for deep snow. So it pays to talk and look around.

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2004, 08:46 AM »
I use Beaver Dam tip ups and have done so for nearly 30 years. In fact I just sent my 3 oldest in to be rebuilt at the factory for the first time :). They are very dependable, work well,easily transported and obviously durable. The "set" on them is adjustable and they do not freeze up. I have tried others but like these the best but they are a tad pricey.
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2004, 08:51 AM »
Question for Buiditrite and Jigmaster, what are heritage lakers and where can I get info on them as the deep snow comment interested me? ???
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2004, 09:03 AM »
2 dogs:  You can get the Heritage Laker Tip ups at the following FishUSA website: (http://www.fishusa.com/tackleshop/catalog_product.asp?ProductFamilyID=%7B6F7E42D5%2D22B1%2D4C52%2DB467%2DBABE6AB26A65%7D&mscssid=UR95JMDEB0EG9K8TELPHKLGHDLSR27M3).  I have set of 10 along with 10 of the "$3.99 specials" ;D 

I agree with jigmaster, your best bet would be to venture out on the ice and check out the different types.  This way you will be able to talk to people who own them and get their pros and cons regarding their choice.

No Politics............Ju st Fish!

PerchBusterSD

« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2004, 10:32 AM »
I like the frabill and ht ones that cover the hole so you aint scoopin all day and they fit perfect in a 5 gallon bucket. Just my 2 cents, everyone has favorites :)

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2004, 05:15 PM »
Question for Buiditrite and Jigmaster, what are heritage lakers and where can I get info on them as the deep snow comment interested me? ???
they have heritage lakers here in maine in just about every walmart however i bought mine, 15 of them ,at L.L.Bean because they guarantee everything they sell forever they are online too

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2004, 09:46 AM »
Thanks braginwal for the site to find the heritage   will order a couple and try them out as not in the shops here in NE WIS. :)

Offline BuckShotJon

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Gimpy Fisher
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2004, 10:39 AM »
Being a tip up aholic and owning just over 35 tip ups at this time I would have to toss my vote towards the US Line tip ups. They are very nicely constructed and catch fish. Not many wind flags and you can see the flags easily. Spool lets off line easily and fish do not drop from tension felt fromt he real. Overall they are great tip ups.

Jon
Check Out The Hunting Shanty

Check Out The Softer Side Of The Shanty At www.Myfishfinder.com

sam001

« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2004, 08:25 PM »
I've had great luck with the "Beaver Dams" :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.