New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: what do you do while waiting for ice  (Read 18903 times)

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: what do you do while waiting for ice
« Reply #120 on: Jun 06, 2023, 10:20 PM »
with the  warm temps and  open water i  did a  little  trapping  .....  nothing is worth anything but i'm having fun
A late reply, but I was busy in March planting my vegetables and flower seeds for my summer business a road side vegetables stand.  The seeds grow in the greenhouse March-April through mid May.  Then the fun begins if the weather permits "planting".  I start tilling and planting two weekends before Memorial Day, about 6 hours a day 7 days a week and I just finished June 5th.  Then the weeding starts most every day all summer long with harvest starting mid July and runs through Halloween.  Then I can start thinking about this years ice fishing.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #121 on: Jul 30, 2023, 06:15 AM »
Begin to think about ice season again. Haha.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #122 on: Jul 30, 2023, 11:40 AM »

Try and get things around the house caught up, then trout fish , perch fish then chase some eyes 😃

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #123 on: Jul 30, 2023, 02:02 PM »
Work a lot…….
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #124 on: Jul 31, 2023, 10:16 AM »
Some more leatherwork...

Bushcraft style sheath, able to hold the 10 C's.

Another sheath and a ferro rod I made

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #125 on: Jul 31, 2023, 10:53 AM »

Very nice work Bart

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #126 on: Jul 31, 2023, 04:55 PM »
Those are awesome Bart.
 I have a buddy who makes these…✌️✌️✌️

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #127 on: Aug 01, 2023, 07:58 AM »
Turn these into these.

Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Radneck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #128 on: Aug 01, 2023, 06:22 PM »
Sunrise over the mud hole

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #129 on: Aug 02, 2023, 05:29 AM »
Those are awesome Bart.
 I have a buddy who makes these…✌️✌️✌️

Very cool!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #130 on: Aug 02, 2023, 05:32 AM »
  Keep America Godly...

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #131 on: Aug 11, 2023, 06:22 PM »
Gardening and foraging. I feel like the richest person in the world when I can walk 100 feet to harvest organic vegetables from my garden, something is in season daily from June through October. Even better than that is the foraging that I have built years of expertise with and secret spots for. We are getting something for free, without planting any seeds or weeding or watering, only an investment of knowledge was needed, from April through October. The highlights of the list of over 30 wild edibles that we have eaten are ramps, wild berries all summer, and multiple species of wild mushrooms until the frost hits
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #132 on: Aug 11, 2023, 06:30 PM »
That's cool W_O_I! Do you have any tips on finding wild Aspargus?

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #133 on: Aug 11, 2023, 06:54 PM »
Brewski, unfortunately wild asparagus is not a plant that I have any knowledge of, and I have never persued it. Maybe there is a foraging group near you that you could learn from ? Good luck and let me know. Fall mushrooms are just around the corner.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #134 on: Aug 11, 2023, 07:13 PM »
A late reply, but I was busy in March planting my vegetables and flower seeds for my summer business a road side vegetables stand.  The seeds grow in the greenhouse March-April through mid May.  Then the fun begins if the weather permits "planting".  I start tilling and planting two weekends before Memorial Day, about 6 hours a day 7 days a week and I just finished June 5th.  Then the weeding starts most every day all summer long with harvest starting mid July and runs through Halloween.  Then I can start thinking about this years ice fishing.

Great post, and you are my hero for actually making money from growing vegetables. That is the most honest money that a person can earn, with the possible exception of Josh Allen's $ 46,000,000 annual salary for being the messiah of western NY.  ;) ;D :o ::)

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #135 on: Aug 11, 2023, 08:57 PM »

Great post, and you are my hero for actually making money from growing vegetables. That is the most honest money that a person can earn, with the possible exception of Josh Allen's $ 46,000,000 annual salary for being the messiah of western NY.  ;) ;D :o ::)

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #136 on: Aug 12, 2023, 08:07 AM »

Speaking of your garden, can we get some pictures of the garden and farm stand? I haven't been able to put a formal garden in for the last two summers, as my wife's desire for a pool out-weighed my desire to use the one consistently sunny spot in out yard for a garden. I have a humble 13'x15' garden and mostly focused on "normal" hot pepper varieties.
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #137 on: Aug 21, 2023, 01:17 PM »
I think about ice and try to be as prepared as possible when that first walkable water appears.

Offline grubberfishhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Adirondack Icefishing Adventures
« Reply #138 on: Nov 30, 2023, 04:04 AM »
watch fishing videos on Youtube DUH.
knowledge-"don't hide it divide it"

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #139 on: Nov 30, 2023, 06:04 AM »
Keep hunting

Offline pmac3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #140 on: Nov 30, 2023, 06:49 AM »

Pete

Offline UofLCARDS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #141 on: Nov 30, 2023, 07:08 AM »
Speaking of your garden, can we get some pictures of the garden and farm stand? I haven't been able to put a formal garden in for the last two summers, as my wife's desire for a pool out-weighed my desire to use the one consistently sunny spot in out yard for a garden. I have a humble 13'x15' garden and mostly focused on "normal" hot pepper varieties.

Not who you replied to but ditto on the garden for me, but I don't sell anything but do freeze a lot and give a lot away - I grow yellow squash, spaghetti squash, 65 hills of potatoes, 120 or so corn plants, a couple dozen tomato plants (giant roma and sweet 100 types), asparagus, broccoli, sweet and hot peppers, cukes, onions, garlic, shallots, carrots, dill, chives and 2 types of beans (I'm sure I forgot something but.....).....I also have 2 pear tree's, 2 peach tree's, 2 apples tree's and 5 plum tree's .....along with a couple rows of raspberries and a grape arbor ....not sure how to attach a picture yet but if I can figure it out I will ....
Lets see if this works

Offline Ric66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #142 on: Nov 30, 2023, 03:52 PM »
I also grow my own fruit which includes Asian pears, plum, nectarine, apple, and paw paw trees(still waiting for these to bear fruit), along with grapes. I just cored a bunch of apples and put them in my dehydrator and am about to make some apple cider. Satisfying, yes, but I'd rather be ice fishing!

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #143 on: Nov 30, 2023, 08:29 PM »
Not who you replied to but ditto on the garden for me, but I don't sell anything but do freeze a lot and give a lot away - I grow yellow squash, spaghetti squash, 65 hills of potatoes, 120 or so corn plants, a couple dozen tomato plants (giant roma and sweet 100 types), asparagus, broccoli, sweet and hot peppers, cukes, onions, garlic, shallots, carrots, dill, chives and 2 types of beans (I'm sure I forgot something but.....).....I also have 2 pear tree's, 2 peach tree's, 2 apples tree's and 5 plum tree's .....along with a couple rows of raspberries and a grape arbor ....not sure how to attach a picture yet but if I can figure it out I will ....
Lets see if this works

Very well maintained garden. Looks like you get a lot of mental therapy from it .

Offline UofLCARDS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #144 on: Nov 30, 2023, 09:16 PM »
Thank you - it looks that way early in the season then all that crap grows together and its a jungle - LOL  But it does choke out the weeds ......

Offline Salar4me

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #145 on: Dec 01, 2023, 08:29 AM »
I built out two more Basskhang blanks last week. Now that the leaves are down - went out to a local stream yesterday.  Fishing usually has been good this time of year for the past 40 years or so, but the past few seasons, well it has sucked.  Hasn’t been much better during the spring...  had a few on but only landed one

Offline UofLCARDS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #146 on: Dec 01, 2023, 08:40 AM »
Nice brown !!

Offline UofLCARDS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #147 on: Dec 01, 2023, 08:46 AM »
I also grow my own fruit which includes Asian pears, plum, nectarine, apple, and paw paw trees(still waiting for these to bear fruit), along with grapes. I just cored a bunch of apples and put them in my dehydrator and am about to make some apple cider. Satisfying, yes, but I'd rather be ice fishing!

Thats awesome - I thought about planting paw paw but the ones I saw require 2 for pollination, and in my experience thats been hit or miss every year with my other tree's so I talked myself out of it .....I only plant tree's that are self pollinating now ....I also have 2 fig tree's and a dwarf Key lime and Meyers lemon that I bring in and out for the winter ....if you like Key Lime pie I highly recommend the Key lime tree - never had fresh figs before this year - they are crazy good - taste like a combination of watermelon and peach .....and I'd rather be ice fishing too - hahahaha

Offline Kilsdonk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Drill It Till It Squirts
« Reply #148 on: Dec 01, 2023, 11:02 AM »
I laminated a checklist of stuff needed for ice fishing that I can check off before heading out this year. Seems like I always forget a few things my first couple trips out. Next thing to do is build a smitty sled.
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway
"Im surrounded by Ice holes"
:icefish:

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #149 on: Dec 01, 2023, 01:43 PM »
i go fishing for perch gills and walleyes

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com