Author Topic: What Kind of Auger should I buy?  (Read 1983 times)

Offline ducati

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What Kind of Auger should I buy?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 24, 2013, 06:25 AM »
 If you are more prone to stay put, or drilling a limited amount of holes and aren't fishing on more than 12" of ice, a quality hand auger will work great, if not then don't let anyone convince you that a hand auger is a comparable alternative to a power auger, gas or electric. 
I fish mountain reservoirs that have 2' of ice or more and do some hole hopping.  There is no way I will take the hand auger out in place of the power auger,  the Nils hand auger is just there as a back up. When I fish some of our front range lakes on 12' of ice or less the power auger stays home and I just run with the hand auger.

Offline wingnut19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 24, 2013, 06:36 AM »
6" strikemaster lazer hand auger... love it. Would definitely get a spud to for checking early ice

Offline NH_RED

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 24, 2013, 07:09 AM »
I have been using my ION 40V battery powered auger for 3 weekends now and it has been awesome. Cuts like butter and super light.
8" hole which is plenty. Drilled as many as 70 holes one weekend in 6-10" of ice one weekend on one charge and still had plenty of battery left.

Offline timbobber

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 24, 2013, 07:44 AM »
Best of luck with your choice Yoga. And welcome to the ice fishing community. Enjoy your time on the ice and catch lots of fish.

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 24, 2013, 08:31 AM »
Break it down first -

What kind of fish are you going to be chasing?  If it's pan fish and the occasional large game fish, there's no reason for an auger larger than 6".  If you're going to be using tipups fishing for large game fish, you'll want an auger larger than 6" - any auger greater than 6" really should be powered if you want to make a number of holes in a day.

Where will you be fishing?  If your area doesn't get more than 10" of ice in a year, than it really doesn't matter.  If you're getting more than 16" of ice in a year, you'll want to look into a powered auger of some kind.

How much do you want to spend?  You said you were just getting into the sport, but there's all different levels of pricing and quality out there that can influence what you have available.  We have all kinds of folks on here, and if anyone could make anything work in a way it wasn't designed to, it'd be an icefisherman.   ;D

So here's my recommendations -

If you can only have ONE auger - I'd go with the new Nils 6" Hand Auger with drill adapter (the orange one out now).  This would give you a fantastic hand auger that would cover 90% of everything you'd want to do with it, and in the event you have too much ice to hand drill, you can easily attach an 18v cordless drill and be back in business.

If the Nil's is too much cost, a Strikemaster Lazer in 5" will work well also, but not cut as nice due to the inline handles.  Strikemaster used to sell offset handles which bring the lazer on par with the Nils - but it's additional cost, and I don't know if they're still available.  You can find replacement blades cheap and local, and drill adapters are less than $20 if you need power.  The hole size is slightly limiting, IMO, but fine for panfish.

If you want to go straight to power - I'd look at a Eskimo S33 Stingray in 8".  They can be had for very little money (around 260 or less if you find sales), aren't TOO heavy, and work very well with a company that supports its product.  They're not the fastest out there, they do have quirks - like the gas cap - but for the money you'd be hard pressed to find a better value.

Notice I never mentioned Mora in the above posts?  Don't get one - for the extra $20 you can get a Lazer and be happy.

I'd say start with a smaller hand auger first (5-6"), and then save for a power auger (8-10) and purchase at the end of the season when they're blowing them out on sale here in a month or two.

Offline Cwab_LX5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 24, 2013, 09:14 AM »
yeah go with a nils the replacement heads arnt cheap but it should last a while and very effect not much effort is put forth to drill thru ice

Offline Siding guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 24, 2013, 11:13 AM »
I just bought the new Jiffy Propane powered Auger. I like the idea of not dealing with the gas which can get messy.

Offline IceRaider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 24, 2013, 01:26 PM »
Just ordered a Nils 8".

Offline Kip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 24, 2013, 01:29 PM »
Jiffy pro4
Drilling Lakes out Since 1975 !

Offline wishingiwasfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 24, 2013, 02:02 PM »
Strike master not only does it run well every year dont have to worry about gas leaking which has been an issue with Jiffy's in the past. It is also smaller handes so doesnt take up near as much room in truck or sled.

Offline TightlineMT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 24, 2013, 04:45 PM »
It really seems like people do not read the details in posts.

I would never recommend a pig of an auger (38-43 lbs) for a female to be humping around popping holes in the ice... heck, at 5'11" 200 lbs, even I don't like dragging and using them. And for just a few dollars more she could be in the best power auger made and it is only 23 lbs. HUGE difference. I am fairly certain that Yogafish is no where near as big and brawny as some of you in your avatars...

@Yogafish, give serious consideration to the Nils... even if you start out with the hand auger, you can always add the Tanaka powerhead in the future. You can find the power model around $550 if you keep an eye open for deals. If you do go with the Nils, you may want the 42" shaft as the 48" is a tower!

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #41 on: Jan 24, 2013, 05:06 PM »
Five foot chunk of rebar will do as a spud bar. I'd get a 6 inch Lazer hand auger. You can always adapt it to a cordless drill.
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.