Author Topic: SECT ice after rain?  (Read 1592 times)

Offline Global Warming in CT

• Team IceShanty Regular
SECT ice after rain?
« on: Feb 23, 2021, 10:16 AM »
I know a lot of the state got some snow yesterday, but where I'm at in the SE corner we got a spring rainstorm. I was on a pond in East Lyme on Saturday that had 4-5 inches, and I'd assume that place is shot after yesterday. A similar sized pond in the area had 7-8" on Sunday, and I'm hoping it didn't take too much of a beating (I don't want to name either pond, as they're small and wouldn't hold up to a lot of fishing pressure). I plan to check out this second spot after work today to see how it held up between yesterday's rain and today's 40 degree sun.
Just curious if anyone else has checked ice where we got rain yesterday. Thanks.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: SECT ice after rain?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2021, 11:37 AM »
I'm going tonight, my guess is the rain destroyed the snow but the ice is ok.

Offline robertlbelrose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2021, 11:38 AM »
I'm in Ellington and have a 3/4 acre pond about 4 ft deep. Just checked the ice and had 2 inches of half frozen slush on top of 2 inches of soft ice.

Offline bugchazer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2021, 02:55 PM »
good luck, Im gonna hit Gardners tomorrow if able. :%$#!:

Offline Rooster18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2021, 03:04 PM »
I just checked out Beach and am planning on fishing it tomorrow night.  Walked out off RI launch 100’.  Very wet and slushy on top but ice was solid and edges still solid.  3-4 hits with spud and it didn’t go through. 

Offline bugchazer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2021, 03:17 PM »
Haven't fished there this year, good luck ;D

Offline Rooster18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2021, 04:13 PM »
Thanks, I could use the luck there.  I’ve been fishing Beach for years and this is the slowest season I can remember.  I’d head to Gardner’s tomorrow but it’s a 45min drive for me.  I’ll take any extra sleep I can get now as I’m wiped out after this season.  Beach is less than 15 min down the road.

Offline hardfloor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2021, 06:56 PM »
It's going to pretty windy Wed night to chase Eyes most places. Wsw to 33mph. I wanted to fish the RI side if Beach but I'll be without a shanty and get pounded by wind. I think I'll hit my spot on Gardner and tuck in to shore.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2021, 06:56 PM »
Updating my own post might be a bad look but here goes... The aforementioned spot that had 7-8" on Sunday had 6-7" today. The top inch was wet slush and the next inch or so was crystally and rotten. Good ice under that. Might be good for another day or two. Proceed with caution in SE corner.

Offline Rooster18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2021, 07:05 PM »
Maybe a day or two left in this area.  Beach had solid ice where I walked but I only used the spud.  The warm temps and sun tomorrow will damage what we have left.  I am hoping my favorite cove on Pachaug will be safe for another week.  It’s not looking good though.  I would really like to have one more trip for those Big Pike!   

Offline bugchazer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2021, 07:17 PM »
I’ll be at south end of island tomorrow, stop in :tipup:

Offline hardfloor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2021, 07:28 PM »
I'll take a walk to the island after the sunset bite.

Offline Rooster18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2021, 08:31 PM »
Were you the crew out there on Friday night in the snow?  We were on the far SE end.  Looked like someone had a fire going by the island.  I wish we had a fire going too.  The fishing was slow so a fire would have really helped us that night.

Offline hardfloor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 24, 2021, 01:06 AM »
I was out Saturday night 9pm till 9am. Good trip

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 24, 2021, 06:24 AM »
The ice was ok last night, water on top but it was firming up as we left. Tough to say how long it will last, at least today, probably tomorrow. Wear good boots. I'm worn out from late nights, as much as I love doing it I'll be ok when it's over. Walter was not in a biting mood, only one caught with a half dozen flags where they played with the bait. All in all however, an enjoyable night with Wrx2017.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 24, 2021, 07:39 AM »
I was out by the island Friday night with a buddy. No fire going but had to set up the popup once the snow wouldn't quit. We lasted til about 9. Two pickerel and no walleye on the tipups (6 flags), only gills on the jigs.
That was quite the snow squall that rolled through, basically started right after we got set up. It didn't look like it snowed that much in the surrounding area.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 24, 2021, 08:22 AM »
That was quite the snow squall that rolled through, basically started right after we got set up. It didn't look like it snowed that much in the surrounding area.

Yeah, weatherman said flurries. It looked a lot like 2" of flurries to me, it was a whiteout heading down the middle of the lake.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 24, 2021, 10:05 AM »
Dragging the sleds out there wasn't too bad, not much snow cover. Dragging them back in 3-4" of fresh stuff sucked. It would've been worth it for a few walleye. Sometimes you're the bug, sometimes you're the windshield I guess. Cool to be out in a whiteout.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 24, 2021, 11:25 AM »
Cool to be out in a whiteout.

I admit to the top being up.

Offline wrx2017

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 24, 2021, 01:14 PM »
Last night, as eiders said, the ice was good, but the water is pooling on top with drain holes opening up in places. I wouldn’t not give it much longer with these warm and windy days. Shame the Walter didn’t want to cooperate, it was still a good night. No complaints here.
-Josh

Offline Rooster18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 24, 2021, 04:57 PM »
I decided to skip going out tonight after the 50 degree temp and sun backing the ice all day.  The lakes I drove by had that awful gray looking ice to them by late afternoon.  I did check Beach our around 5p and saw 3 guys dragging sleds out to setup for the night.  There was also another guy jigging just off the ramp.  Ice looked ugly but the group of 3 made it to where they were heading.  Also say guys out on Pachaug this evening too....I’m not beating myself up over skipping tonight.  Going to check again on Friday and decide then if I want to attempt one more trip in ESE CT.  Good luck and be safe if head out!

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 24, 2021, 07:40 PM »
Queue up "The End" for me. Just got in from a few hours of walter action. The ice is crumbling, although I think it might be ok for another day or two. I'm done anyway thanks to a drive belt crumbling and barely getting me back to the launch. Thanks to Bugchazer and Octanehi5 for alerting me to the problem when they found pieces of the belt on the ice and waiting at the launch in case I needed help.

Offline Rooster18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 24, 2021, 08:20 PM »
This season has produced the best ice we’ve had in SE CT since 2015.  I can’t complain.  I’m going to check and try and fish on Friday but won’t be upset if I can’t.  The fish will still be there to catch on open water.

Offline bugchazer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 25, 2021, 06:43 AM »
Probably done for season, picked up 1 16 fat Walter last night. Ice crapping out quick ,7-8 inches of 4 inch harder ice under 4 inches of soft crap , edges breaking down. By end of evening it was like walking in thick soup in places. Glad to see Eider get back in with injured machine.May go up north later , don't think safe ice will last much longer around here.  :icefish:

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 25, 2021, 07:10 AM »
I fished the same small pond for a couple hours last night. The slush and rotten ice on top doubled in the last day. Last night's warm wind didn't help I'm sure. I won't be going back out there today. It's NW for me this weekend, or I might take this weekend off and head up north for one more go-around next weekend. Spring sprung quickly this week for sure. No complaints here though, this was the first winter in three years that I've been able to fish close to home.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.