Author Topic: Bantam ice  (Read 14660 times)

Offline Chawk190

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Bantam ice
« Reply #60 on: Jan 29, 2021, 08:06 PM »
I think fishoninct meant point folly is the only public access to the North Bay.  Pretty sure you can still park at the state launch in Morris in the winter but that is the south Bay.

FIFY

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Jan 29, 2021, 08:12 PM »
FIFY

I was wondering about that, my head was spinning having not been to the lake.

Offline Chawk190

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Jan 29, 2021, 08:57 PM »
For us old guys it’s Beverly’s.

Offline Schug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing
« Reply #63 on: Feb 06, 2021, 04:28 PM »
Can anyone report on conditions? It would be appreciated.

Ty

Offline vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Feb 06, 2021, 05:45 PM »
Fished South cove today, 1 Pike.  Had 6” or more of almost frozen slush on top of 6” or so of ice.  Tough walking as slush was soft and when it warmed up in afternoon very watery.

Offline Hooking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Feb 06, 2021, 07:18 PM »
Question on minnows for pike in Bantam. I’ve never caught a pike so it’s a goal of mine this year. If I’m not after a trophy and just want to start getting pike bites on Bantam, is it reasonable to use medium/large minnows vs. pike size, or will those be picked off by other species? I know some may only use dead baits, which is one option to avoid other species. Maybe an atypical question of how to land entry level pike/get a few flags... Thanks guys.

Offline Rooster18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Feb 06, 2021, 07:55 PM »
I am not one to offer unwelcome advice but if you are welcoming....When I setup for pike I use a mix of large dead bait.  Large live baits, etc.  I am not a master.  My best in CT was 16 lbs and that was caught on a lively med/heavy shiner.  I’ve caught big pike on small baits and small pike on large dead baits.  I have caught many decent pike on rigs setup for bass, pickerel, perch, etc.  Pike are predators and will eat what they find. 

If you are out for fun and to pass time in winter then just setup your rigs in waters that have pike.  The surprise catch is very rewarding!

Offline mungo544

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Feb 06, 2021, 08:06 PM »
My son likes dead bait for pike. He uses a "quick strike" rig which uses two hooks, one in the mouth and one in the back. He fishes on or just off the bottom. Pike will hit any size bait. I have jigged up decent size pike on a hali jig with a pinhead shiner. The bigger the fish the bigger the bait for the most part but for me landing a 24 inch pike on a 4 lb test jigging rod (especially if it's on black ice and you can see the fish as you are bringing him to the hole) is as much fun as I've ever had ice fishing.

Offline Hooking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Feb 06, 2021, 08:18 PM »
Rooster and Mungo - thanks. Sounds like the name of the game is to just get reps in on pike waters, and if they find me, I get my first pike. I’d happily take other bites as well, so it’s good to hear the mixed bag approach. There was a good YouTube video floating around the forum on a sliding quickstrike rig for dead bait, with an elastic in the middle. I made one recently and will give it a shot if I get out to Bantam.

Offline Global Warming in CT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Feb 07, 2021, 06:06 AM »
You'd be surprised at how big of a shiner a small pike will eat. You can also use dead saltwater bait like herring or mackerel, or jig up some small perch or gills while you're waiting for flags.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Feb 07, 2021, 06:16 AM »
Can't believe nobody's gonna give it up. Hot dogs, or for big pike, kielbasa.  ;)2   I really want to see somebody catch one on a doggie.  :woot:

Question is, mustard or ketchup? I'll explore this question further between 6:30-10:30 tonight.

Offline Hooking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Feb 07, 2021, 08:34 AM »
or for big pike, kielbasa.  ;)2

Sauerkraut in a mesh egg pouch as a teaser is the next big breakthrough. Let’s do this!

Offline mungo544

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Feb 07, 2021, 01:24 PM »
My son uses sardines (not is a can, from the fish market when he can get them) or suckers (he slices the belly first) for pike. Probably doesn't make much difference

Offline androux

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Feb 12, 2021, 07:11 PM »
My experience in this state is run a mixed setup, mediums and larges with 12 to 20 lb. Flouro, I ebb towards 12, I very rarely have trouble bringing them to the hole with a good hookset, the problem is when they are at the hole, they get leverage and chaff the line, play them right away from the hole, and when they seem like they are ready to give up, commit to the landing, as you usually have one shot at landing them, lucky if you get a second, and never get a third.
A smart person would watch the few that ventured to the ice sheet, the daring would follow in their boot prints, but the pioneers would already be heading to where they belong.

Offline mungo544

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Feb 13, 2021, 04:38 PM »
I almost never get a pike to the hole on the initial strike. As soon as I feel any big resistance I let the fish run without giving any slack. Sometimes they take 50 ft or more line out on a run. Usually takes two or more of those runs and most of the time I can get them to almost swim up the hole or else I grab them right behind the eyes with my thumb and forefinger. Try to keep the line away from the edge of the hole especially when jigging or once the leader line is up to the hole. Some people gill them or else use a boga grip. 

Offline BobB257

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Feb 13, 2021, 05:55 PM »
Can't believe nobody's gonna give it up. Hot dogs, or for big pike, kielbasa. 

Pulaski Mustard...... of course!   And it always helps if you have some of Joe's Jalpaino and Cheddar Kielbasa from the good ol days.   Still have a few in the freezer waiting for that special tribute trip to Joe from "Adolphs".  Really miss his Veal Brats also, which Pike consider a close tie with the Kielbasa.
Take a kid fishing, you just might learn a thing or two.

Offline ChrisO81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Feb 28, 2021, 03:57 PM »
In case anyone was wondering, 13" out there today. Solid as a rock.  Also caught with my little guy which is always a plus. 

Offline mungo544

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Feb 28, 2021, 06:29 PM »
nice pike!

Offline IceDog88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #78 on: Feb 28, 2021, 06:57 PM »
Nice Pike and great to see the younger ones getting a prize like that one. Good to here that ice is still doing well.

Offline Hooking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Mar 01, 2021, 08:35 PM »
Also caught with my little guy which is always a plus. 

Great fish with the little man!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.