Author Topic: Need Help with Lowrance Elite 4 Ice Machine  (Read 14299 times)

Offline conesusguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Need Help with Lowrance Elite 4 Ice Machine
« on: Feb 11, 2013, 06:31 PM »
After a frustrating weekend of not being able to figure out the correct settings, I'm considering sending back this machine.  I'm looking for help from experienced guys who use these electronics.  I was fishing 40 fow for eyes and perch and had my buddies hummingbird running in the shanty with me and could not see anything on the screen even when we were marking fish.  I tried turning the sensitivity up and zooming in split screen on bottom.  Even the split screen flasher/sonar did not work well.  And I really don't like the fact that you cannot just have the flasher alone on the screen. 

Looking for advice on what settings are ideal for this machine before I make a decision on sending it back.  Thanks.
This sport takes a certain amount of character in a man that we all should respect and take pride in.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Need Help with Lowrance Elite 4 Ice Machine
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2013, 12:26 PM »
Turning up the sensitivity is the last thing you want to do when experiencing interference from another unit. Go to settings and hit the noise reduction (I.R). Start low and work your way up. Before you do that make sure you are using ice mode and uncheck all automatic settings and use manual mode. Lower your transducer so it's hanging below the bottom of the ice, scroll speed or ping speed at max. Set your upper limit to the first 3-5ft if you don't like seeing all the clutter up top and lower limit 2-3 ft. from actual bottom. I have the elite 5 and would think the settings and menu are the same. Lmk if this helps.

Offline conesusguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2013, 08:36 PM »
Thanks for your help I really appreciate it.  Any other suggestions?
This sport takes a certain amount of character in a man that we all should respect and take pride in.

Offline efka

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2013, 02:19 PM »
in 40fow your bottom coverage area with 20deg cone is 14ft in radius. why do you need 2 finders?
lowrance elite 4 is a great machine, i have x67c and found that you have to be away from any other machines at least 30 meters to avoid interference.

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2013, 08:10 PM »
How close were you fishing to your buddies?  Sounds like you might have been blasted out from the other sonar, which can cause all kinds of issues (including what you were "not" seeing).  Especially in that depth of water, you get a few sonar's on the same freq within a few feet of each other there will be some crosstalk. 

You should be easily able to see a simple sounding sinker on your line, provided the transducer is level and under the rim of the ice. 

If you suspect it's an issue with crosstalk, have your buddies switch to a different IR setting, or you can change yours also by going to the Noise Rejection setting under the sonar menu.  You'll have Low/Med/High/Off, and you're probably on Off.  Use the lowest you can get away with.

Breaking the "ring" will be difficult, but you're much better off learning the graph mode.  It was a pain for me too - but there's so much more information on it.  Make sure you're not on "Auto Depth", set the depth manually to the nearest depth (so if you're in 35', set it to 40' manual so you lock the bottom in) and turn on histogram (AR Mode under advanced sonar settings), that'll give you a vertical flasher next to the graph which will help. 

There's a learning curve with these types of units, but they are significantly more powerful than the traditional spinning flasher.  Once you get the quirks worked out, you'll be amazed at what you can see.  Heck the GPS is worth it alone!

Offline conesusguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2013, 04:06 PM »
Thanks for your help!  Any suggestion for fishing shallow (8-10 fow) with vegetation?  Settings wise I mean.

Offline Wilb3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2013, 12:37 PM »
I have the Elite 4X (without chartplotter) but have been in the same shack with buddys Marcum and Vexilar. For interference, like someone mentioned- increase your noise rejection.  There's no magic setting here because each circumstance poses different equipment with varying frequencies. In general, here are my settings for use in 8-20FOW.

1. Use Manual mode (automatic mode should be off)
2. Sensitivity should be 68-75 range
3. Color line- adjust until you can find jig, typically 55-65 (jig should be blue)
4. Noise rejection (we discussed)
5. Surface Noise (set to lowest possible setting)
6. Ping Speed (set to fastest)
7. Use ice mode - I use white w/blue fish reveal in graph mode
8. Once you are seeing what you need, you can toggle between split flasher (graph mode is more accurate)
9. For vertical jigging and stationary use, be sure you are in 200mhz mode vs. 83 (200mhz provides a more   narrow cone)

I love this machine on the ice! I'm actually more handy w/it on the hardwater vs. on the boat. Feel free to PM me with add'l questions.
Ice fishing is a subculture, one wouldn't understand until they experienced it...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.