Author Topic: The new In-line Reels....my take  (Read 20033 times)

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
Re: Are these reels better than spincast?
« Reply #30 on: Nov 02, 2012, 09:07 AM »
I have been interested but I have so many combos that I just don't know how much I need one.   I read about it helps with line twists but I primarily go after pan fish and don't have a problem with this on my spinning reels.   I use mainly 2lb fluoro and some mono.   I think that I am going to wait for a season and see the reviews.   I liked the eagle claw and would have bought one but I think they are already sold out for season.
Scheels in Lincoln is getting some if you wanted one. I can let you know when they arrive
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack is always toasty, Beer is always cold.
« Reply #31 on: Nov 02, 2012, 09:49 AM »
Better?.. Nope!  they have their place. Like the guys above explained.  I think your presentation will catch fish, not the reel  ;) , NOT one fish I've caught has told me they prefer fly reels, fishermen will.

100% if a reel turns freely has a good drag system, really what is the difference from one to the other when it really comes down to it????? Just one more thing for us to spend our money on.

Offline MA Machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Nov 02, 2012, 11:02 AM »
The only fish that I can think of that is super sensitive to line twist are bluegill.  I truly believe that fly reels do help you with clear water bluegill.    I use a flyreel when sight fishing but the drag has always been the issue.  The drag only works when your hand is off the reel handle.   

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: The new In-line Reels....my take
« Reply #33 on: Nov 02, 2012, 11:51 AM »
I picked the Eagle Claw yesterday and it seems like a solid built reel and every thing seems smooth. I guess we will wait and see when first ice gets here.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Nov 02, 2012, 02:51 PM »
If you haven't read this post yet.. well worth reading !!
 http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=229044.0;topicseen

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Nov 02, 2012, 03:00 PM »
The EC doesn't seem like a bad little reel and for $15; it's attractively priced.

As for durability, I don't think I would be wanting to drop this reel on the ground too often.  The plastic isn't all that beefy IMO.  The reel balances ok, but the side with the gears and handle obviously weigh more then the side without.

Guys will struggle to use the pistol grip with this reel as the spool contacts your palm when held that way.  Holding it with an overhand grip will be the best choice IMO.

The free spool feature is really nice; just need to test it out in action to see how handy it is.

Overall, I am pretty impressed with what EC came up with.  I look for many of the major ice fishing manufacturers to go down this route in the future.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #36 on: Nov 02, 2012, 03:10 PM »
The EC doesn't seem like a bad little reel and for $15; it's attractively priced.

As for durability, I don't think I would be wanting to drop this reel on the ground too often.  The plastic isn't all that beefy IMO.  The reel balances ok, but the side with the gears and handle obviously weigh more then the side without.

Guys will struggle to use the pistol grip with this reel as the spool contacts your palm when held that way.  Holding it with an overhand grip will be the best choice IMO.

The free spool feature is really nice; just need to test it out in action to see how handy it is.

Overall, I am pretty impressed with what EC came up with.  I look for many of the major ice fishing manufacturers to go down this route in the future.

What reel are you referring to? The eagle Claw is $29.95, and what "plastic" are you referring to?
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #37 on: Nov 02, 2012, 03:21 PM »
What reel are you referring to? The eagle Claw is $29.95, and what "plastic" are you referring to?

Eagle Claw was selling them direct for $15/each + $7 Flat shipping. They sold out in a couple days and managed to piss off many tackle shops that they supply to.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #38 on: Nov 02, 2012, 03:23 PM »
Oh great!!! I woulda bought one at THAT price!!!  :%$#!:

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Nov 02, 2012, 03:26 PM »
Shipping was only $5 on my order.

The plastic on the bottom portion of the EC reel housing, not the spool.  Pretty flimsy IMO.

Offline johnny sakko

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Nov 02, 2012, 06:37 PM »
I too thank you as I am very interested in this type of reel Ive always used machined fly reels and prefer them, am I hearing right that there will be a similar reel as the eagle claw from the other company called the 6061 coming out this winter.Glad to see this evolution happen its long over due, I can definitely see using these during the other seasons.Thanks you did a great job.

I too am waiting to check out the 6061 but from reports and reviews I've read, the price will be upward of $80 bucks, ailenating a great chunk of the Ice fishing enthusiasts out there...vs the $15/$29.95 for the EC reel.  I have a feeling these will become much more popular and used more widespread.  It's a wait and see thing for now I guess.

Offline icyveins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Nov 02, 2012, 06:47 PM »
I was wandering around a week ago at GM and found the EC and picked up 4 of them, I had a chance to mess around with them and ther are really nice, I found out on here about the direct deal and returned them to GM after I purchased 6 for 95$ directly! saved some money there and got some really nice reels....you cant even buy a really really nice ice spinning reel for 15$ so buying a nice inline for 15$.... it would be stupid not to pick up a few
if it is to be its up to me!

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #42 on: Nov 02, 2012, 07:12 PM »
I too am waiting to check out the 6061 but from reports and reviews I've read, the price will be upward of $80 bucks, ailenating a great chunk of the Ice fishing enthusiasts out there...vs the $15/$29.95 for the EC reel.  I have a feeling these will become much more popular and used more widespread.  It's a wait and see thing for now I guess.
6061= $99! :-\ it is aluminum tho so im getting 3 but as the market goes I've been told only 350 were made and next year will be a more affordable composite version im guessing just like the EC! that's y im hitting some of them too  ;D I also might pic up a spooler reel after messing with one in the store the other day it seemed pretty decent and since I've never used an online reel I probably don't know what im talking about

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Nov 02, 2012, 07:49 PM »
6061= $99! :-\ it is aluminum tho so im getting 3 but as the market goes I've been told only 350 were made and next year will be a more affordable composite version im guessing just like the EC! that's y im hitting some of them too  ;D I also might pic up a spooler reel after messing with one in the store the other day it seemed pretty decent and since I've never used an online reel I probably don't know what im talking about

Yea, $99 for a reel is just a bit much for me.... 50,60 maybe 70 I'd think about it.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Nov 02, 2012, 08:04 PM »
$99 isnt that bad, many ofus spend that or more on a custom rod and none of my open water reels are under $150 many are in the $300-$500 range....

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #45 on: Nov 02, 2012, 08:08 PM »
Depends on what you're trying to live on, for some of us that's quite a whack.  ::)

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Nov 02, 2012, 08:14 PM »
Depends on what you're trying to live on, for some of us that's quite a whack.  ::)

Exactly.

I mean yea, I could get one, but lets be serious. This is the first time with that reel. It's not a Pflueger, Abu, etc. where I'd probably not think twice. However, 13 Fishing is fairly new and this reel is even newer. That's a big risk on $100.

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #47 on: Nov 02, 2012, 08:50 PM »
Yea, $99 for a reel is just a bit much for me.... 50,60 maybe 70 I'd think about it.
For me $99a isn't too bad considering a good custom rod runs at least $100 but im just hoping they are quality reels and not expensive paper weights lol

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Nov 02, 2012, 09:21 PM »
I too thank you as I am very interested in this type of reel Ive always used machined fly reels and prefer them, am I hearing right that there will be a similar reel as the eagle claw from the other company called the 6061 coming out this winter.Glad to see this evolution happen its long over due, I can definitely see using these during the other seasons.Thanks you did a great job.

Anybody know which company he is talking about???

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Nov 02, 2012, 09:24 PM »
Nevermind figured it out...

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #50 on: Nov 02, 2012, 09:48 PM »
For me $99a isn't too bad considering a good custom rod runs at least $100 but im just hoping they are quality reels and not expensive paper weights lol

For an ice rod? you should find a different builder! ;D

Offline eepks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Nov 02, 2012, 09:50 PM »
Thanks for the replies and information. That link was great!

And to those who say, Who needs this, my spincast works great...I am sure at one time the guy with a cane pole, string and cork said the same about reels to the guy with a reel.

Thanks again,

Eric

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #52 on: Nov 02, 2012, 09:57 PM »
For an ice rod? you should find a different builder! ;D
I love the rods tho!! That one you commented on with the knob is one

Offline Gamedog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Nov 02, 2012, 10:08 PM »
Fly reels will never replace spnning reels my friend....well maybe for the shallow water fishermen.
We are where we are, cause that's where we choose to be.

Offline eepks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Nov 02, 2012, 10:12 PM »
Fly reels will never replace spnning reels my friend....well maybe for the shallow water fishermen.

And I fish in less than 15ft of water my friend

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #55 on: Nov 02, 2012, 10:25 PM »
That's a different story. A chunk of stabilized maple burl can go for upwards of $25...

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #56 on: Nov 02, 2012, 10:29 PM »
And I fish in less than 15ft of water my friend
same here!

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #57 on: Nov 02, 2012, 10:40 PM »
I just know I like then enough that im getting another and maybe a summer rod too since they quit making the one I have and love

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Nov 03, 2012, 06:54 AM »
ulking let me know thanks

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #59 on: Nov 03, 2012, 08:27 AM »
Will do. I pre ordered one and they had to buy 12 or something so when I get a call that its in ill post it here

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.