Author Topic: Bleeding Bait Hooks  (Read 2361 times)

Offline Hookset

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't eat the yellow snow!
Bleeding Bait Hooks
« on: Jan 05, 2005, 10:11 AM »
I just bought the Gamakatsu Bleeding Bait treble hooks to use on my tip-ups.  These hooks are red instead of the standard chrome/brass color.  Has anyone else used these in the past.  I use them on some of my crankbaits for softwater, but never tried them through the hole.  Anybody have any feedback, or better yet, anybody done a little head to head testing on the ice???
We don't own nature, nature owns us.

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Bleeding Bait Hooks
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2005, 10:30 AM »
I started using these this season and we have not had much ice here in central mass for me to get out and use them. I too have used them during the summer and have had pretty good luck.

Offline Hookset

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2005, 10:36 AM »
I found them particulary productive on deep cranks targeting the smallmouth bass in the Hudson River and I used the larger 4/0 or 5/0 g-locks for fishing plastics for pike.  Hope to hit the ice this weekend a little more to the north.  My first empirical testing session!

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2005, 09:40 AM »
I have been using those for 2 years now.I use the circle hooks from 2/0 to 5/0.They have been quite productive for me on my tipups.The red seems to wear off a little and they are gold underneath.I have gone even as far this year to add some red feathers to the top of my hook to take the "bleeding" bait a step further.It looks amazing in the water,I may just do all of my hooks.
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline icefizzlemachizzle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2005, 10:05 AM »
 I don't know if it was a fluke or not, but yesterday I rigged some of my tipups with the blood red trebles and the rest without ..and would'nt you know it ALL of my flags that day were on the red trebles.  Need to test them some more to study if they have a real effect though.

Offline Hookset

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2005, 09:15 AM »
I am trying to get out Saturday.  Hopefully Mother Nature will cooperate and give me some frigid evenings.  I am going to do the same thing, I have three with and two without the red hooks.  My buddy is just the opposite.  I hope to see some sort of pattern.  Shoot, I hope to just get out!

Offline sbfPA_Mike

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2005, 05:04 PM »
All flags on the bleeding baits fo shizzle!!! The red hooks are here to stay because they work!!

Mike

I don't like it here, so I will probably be here for a while.........
 @ www.iceshanty.com  @ www.myfishfinder.com
 @ www.myhuntingforum.com[/si

finn

« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2005, 04:20 PM »
Last year I did an on ice comparison I alternated with a my buddy setting size 8 hooks (same set up except hooks) on a weed line for pike, red / bronze / red, bronze, etc. I had flags on every one of my tip-ups set with red hooks, my buddy had no flags  ??? on his bronze hooks, needless to say I saw some red treble hooks in his tackle box this year. I also put them on my swedish pimples when jigging.

finn

« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2005, 04:21 PM »
These were five tips up each!

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2005, 12:22 PM »
I started using the red colored after a weekend I went up north with a cousin that had them and he had good luck with them

suskymusky

« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2005, 05:18 AM »
I replaced some of the trebles on my jigging rapalas with bleeding trebles.Deadly with a perch eye or minnow head.They always go for the treble, not the ends.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.