Author Topic: 5, 11, or 20 lb propane tank????  (Read 26785 times)

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
5, 11, or 20 lb propane tank????
« on: Dec 02, 2009, 09:07 AM »
I picked up a buddy heater last year from lowes half off and it begining to get to my pocket buying 1 lb tanks. So I am looking for a larger one. 20 lb propane tanks are cheaper, but I'm not sure I want to lug something that big arouund. I was wondering how many people use a 11 or 5 lb tank, they are double the price of a 20 lb tank, but the size and weight have my attetion.

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 5, 11, or 20 lb propane tank????
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2009, 09:13 AM »
i have a 14# that i got at GM.
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline highsparks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2009, 09:22 AM »
  I have an 11# steel and a 16# fiberglass I really like .  The fiberglass is nice because it doesnt freeze up like a steel tank .  Its much lighter also .   The drawback is it doesnt fit in a 5 gal pail like my 11# .
Its better to be thought an idiot , than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.......

Offline deebsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2009, 09:47 AM »
Had a 5#er found it was alittle small had to have it refilled 2 often so I was going to buy another but a buddy wanted it so I sold that to him and bought an 11# much happier with that.
;

Offline augerlips

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2009, 10:00 AM »
i know this will start something but........cabelas & fleet farm both sell an adaptor so you can take your big tank and refill the 1# bottles. there have been numerous "conversations" on this topic so if your interested do a search.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2009, 10:10 AM »
I have an 11lb pancake tank. The reason that I like it is that it doesn't tip easily and it has a larger surface area than a 5lb tank so it vaporizes easier. I have a tank foot on it so it is very stable. I had a 5lb tank and like someone mentioned, you have to fill it too often for me.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2009, 10:16 AM »
I have 2 5lbs and 1 11 lb fiberglass   the 11 lb weighs as much as the 5 lber it seems:)  and you can see then ya are gonna need propane   5 lbers are good for a day   11lbs a couple :)   the 11 lber is my go to   but on a long trip 3-4 days I even bring a 20 lber in the trailer just in case....
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2009, 10:19 AM »
I have a 5 pounder that gets used the most and for multi day trips it's the 20 pounder.

Offline Bill Collector Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The ice doesn't melt, it cries!

-Bob

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2009, 11:23 AM »
i know this will start something but........cabelas & fleet farm both sell an adaptor so you can take your big tank and refill the 1# bottles. there have been numerous "conversations" on this topic so if your interested do a search.

I have one of those, I wouldn't bother to use it much, if you need one small tank at home it would be fine, but those tanks aren't really meant to be refilled so they tend to leak.

I have a 11lb tank for fishing, I run a 12,000btu "sunflower" type heater, its stable with that tank, I don't know if a 5lber would be as stable, my 11lber last a good while.

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2009, 11:26 AM »
Last year I fished off a 20# tank.  I hated every minute of hauling that tank around.  It even went empty on me once when I was not expecting it.  I decided to find a smaller tank.  New ones are very expensive, but nice.  Then I found 2 old style 10# tanks in the classifieds.  They are the same height as the 20, but half the diameter.  Both had the new valves installed, and freshly re-painted for $25ea.  I'll be using this one a lot this year (the other is for a friend).  Or at least until the ice is good enough to drive on.

As for stability I leave my tank outside and run a hose to my heater.

Offline trapster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2009, 11:45 AM »
I have a 5 lb but I guess it would depend on the size of your shack.  I'm using a fish trap.
Shut up and fish.

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2009, 02:15 PM »
I would say it depends on how you get the stuff out there.  If you were carrying it then less weight.  Obviously...Unless your shack is big and you require it. 
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

Offline Swish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Big Fisherman
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2009, 02:39 PM »
I use one of these.  Its easy and just takes a couple minutes to fill the 1lb bottles.  I take a few bottles with me.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45989

Anybody have a link to an 11lb fiberglass bottle besides whats been posted?  This sounds interesting.....
Otter Lodge owner.

Offline BigJohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2009, 04:29 PM »
Buy the adapter and fill the 1# bottels you will save money in the long run.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2009, 04:30 PM »
Buy the adapter and fill the 1# bottels you will save money in the long run.

If you dont blow your house up. Then you will have to fill a ton to make up the $200,000 +- loss.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Hardwaterhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2009, 04:33 PM »
 I prefer the 11# tank. The 20# tanks are to heavy to be dragging around unless your using a wheeler or a snowmobile.

Offline Walleye64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2009, 04:34 PM »
I bought a mr. heater sunflower and a 5 lb tank for $25. off craigslist.

Offline Swish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Big Fisherman
« Reply #18 on: Dec 02, 2009, 04:37 PM »

If you dont blow your house up. Then you will have to fill a ton to make up the $200,000 +- loss.

Why would my house blow up?  I've filled over 40 times so far and my house is still here.........just follow the directions.  If the company that made these planned on all users blowing up their homes, I doubt it would be on the market for sale.......
Otter Lodge owner.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 02, 2009, 04:46 PM »
I bought a mr. heater sunflower and a 5 lb tank for $25. off craigslist.

Thats a great deal...

Offline Walleye64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 02, 2009, 04:47 PM »
the 1 lb tanks aren't met to be refilled, there no more than a metal seal from a bike tire. (but bigger). thoughs adapters are for using a 5 lb tank and getting it filled from a 20 lb tank

Offline BigJohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 02, 2009, 04:50 PM »
Fill mine out side,house still here,but have good life insurance,wife would benefit from a blowup.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Dec 02, 2009, 07:27 PM »
Why would my house blow up?  I've filled over 40 times so far and my house is still here.........just follow the directions.  If the company that made these planned on all users blowing up their homes, I doubt it would be on the market for sale.......

They weren't made to refill 1lbers, in fact it says right on the bottles "DO NOT REFILL". They were made to refill 5lbers from 20lbers.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 02, 2009, 08:31 PM »
I have quad that I will use for most of my trips, I'm not trying to heat up my shanty so I can sit in it in jeans and a t-shirt, but warm enough to take off my heavy coat and keep the gloves off my hands.  just hard to beleive they are 75 bucks for an 11 pounder.

Offline walleyekelly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 02, 2009, 08:48 PM »
75 seems a little steep to me, hmmm, I'm sure you could find it alittle cheaper if you keep lookin.

Although, I have an 11 pounder that I used last year and love it. Like Ice Dawg, mine is a flater donut/pancake shaped tank, nicer so you don't have to worry about it tipping over.  I use to use one pounders as well but went through to many of them. 
Very versitile tank. Glad I made the change and went with the 11 pounder. (money saver, more efficiant)

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 02, 2009, 09:00 PM »
Whats the difference between filling a 5 or a 1lb? You say the valve is cheap. Its cheap the first time that you use it too, when its originally sold full. Not looking for a fight here. I bought that coupler recently and may take it back if its not safe is all.

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 02, 2009, 09:10 PM »
75 seems a little steep to me, hmmm, I'm sure you could find it alittle cheaper if you keep lookin.

Although, I have an 11 pounder that I used last year and love it. Like Ice Dawg, mine is a flater donut/pancake shaped tank, nicer so you don't have to worry about it tipping over.  I use to use one pounders as well but went through to many of them. 
Very versitile tank. Glad I made the change and went with the 11 pounder. (money saver, more efficiant)

Thats been about the cheapest I have been able to find so far, I havent gone to really look for them. I will tomorrow though

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #27 on: Dec 02, 2009, 09:14 PM »
I have a 5 & 11 # tanks. I almost always use the 5. I bought the 11 for out of state trips but didn't make any last year

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline J_Jaacks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 02, 2009, 09:36 PM »
I have a 11lb that I use when I have to pull the sled by hand. If I can drive out then its the 20lb. And also a grill. I keep a 1lb as a backup in case the 11lb runs out in the middle of a trip.

I got my 11lb at BPS for $40. Sure saves the hassle of all the 1lb. I do not like them at all.

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #29 on: Dec 02, 2009, 09:41 PM »
the 1 lb tanks aren't met to be refilled, there no more than a metal seal from a bike tire. (but bigger).

The same size, not bigger. Also, if it isn't safe to refill them just what makes them so safe to be filled in the first place? Just how do you think it is done?

We have lots of homes here heated by LP. We also have homes, kitchens, laundromats, restaurants etc with gas stoves, gas dryers etc. Servicemen such as I (yeah, ME) come and have to pipe up said systems, purge as needed, light pilots, do whatever it takes to finish the job.

I'm still here, and I've never caused a fire or explosion.

You guys are just playing on fear of the unknown. Sure, it helps to know what you are doing, but to blanket the topic with "Kablooey!" Barney Fife style, is just not right.
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.