Author Topic: Ice scouting trip Thurs/Fri central CT  (Read 1609 times)

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice scouting trip Thurs/Fri central CT
« on: Jan 12, 2022, 10:50 AM »
I'm off from work this week and planning on getting out for a drive tomorrow or Friday to check a few local places.  Starting in South Windsor and heading NE more or less up the 84 corridor.  So far, my list of stops is:

Valley Falls Pond, Vernon
Lower/Middle Bolton Lakes, Bolton
Hurds Lake, Somers
Bigelow/Mash, Union

Anyone have any other suggestions along that route/those general areas?  I'm not looking for any specific species, I want to get my young kids on the ice for the first time this year so just looking for anyplace I can find some action.  Or, if anyone's checked those placed recently and I needn't bother, that would be good info to have.
-Matt

Offline PerchMan45

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice scouting trip Thurs/Fri central CT
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2022, 11:23 AM »
The Bolton Lakes usually are some of the last to freeze in the area, right along with Crystal. the wind there seems to always be an issue with how fast they freeze.

I would check Morey Pond in Ashford (you drive across it on 84), Lake Chaffee in Ashford, and Black Pond in Woodstock. There is also a Crystal Lake in Woodstock if you want to drive a little further.

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2022, 11:36 AM »
The Bolton Lakes usually are some of the last to freeze in the area, right along with Crystal. the wind there seems to always be an issue with how fast they freeze.

I would check Morey Pond in Ashford (you drive across it on 84), Lake Chaffee in Ashford, and Black Pond in Woodstock. There is also a Crystal Lake in Woodstock if you want to drive a little further.

Cool, thanks!  Does Chaffee have any kind of public access?  From the map it looks completely hemmed in with residential.
-Matt

Offline PerchMan45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2022, 11:46 AM »

Cool, thanks!  Does Chaffee have any kind of public access?  From the map it looks completely hemmed in with residential.

There is small public beach that you should be able to walk on to. I circled it below. There is also a small boat launch that I can’t seem to find on the aerial map that you should be able to see when driving around the lake. It definitely blends in with the houses but it is a public boat launch.

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2022, 12:06 PM »
There is small public beach that you should be able to walk on to. I circled it below. There is also a small boat launch that I can’t seem to find on the aerial map that you should be able to see when driving around the lake. It definitely blends in with the houses but it is a public boat launch.

Cool thanks!  It looks like the boat launch access is right off the intersection of Lake View Dr and Circle Dr, according to the lake association plot plan:

https://www.lakechaffee.net/lciaplot.php

-Matt

Offline Jeffdunn1991

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2022, 01:38 PM »
Can’t wait to hear your report on mash!!!

Offline hardfloor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2022, 03:29 PM »
Guys on Bigelow yesterday. Packed!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.