Author Topic: windy tips?  (Read 43969 times)

Offline 2inchofice

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Mass hick and proud
windy tips?
« on: Sep 13, 2006, 03:00 AM »
Hi again and thanks for your responses from previous post.  I got another question regarding tipups.  I've been fishing with polars and you can set a nice easy trip for those salmon, however I fish a lake thats very windy all year.  I'm looking for some new tips cuz when I set my polars on the easiest trip, I get many wind flags.  I do all that I can setting them up against the wind, etc, but still looking for something better. The heritage tips seem popular, but I'm afraid that trip will be too heavy.  Any suggestions? Thanks, again
NObody understands ice the way we do.

Offline jhawkes2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: windy tips?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2006, 06:58 AM »
I use heritage traps on LL Salmon..... I have no problems with salmon tripping the trap off.  I can only think of a couple of times when the flag didn't go off.. Some of those darn tiger trout (yellow perch).  In short, if you want a trap that doesn't have ANY wind flags and is sensitive enough to pop on the slightest tug.. go with the Heritage.

Good luck

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2006, 07:01 AM »
I use heritage traps on LL Salmon..... I have no problems with salmon tripping the trap off.  I can only think of a couple of times when the flag didn't go off.. Some of those darn tiger trout (yellow perch).  In short, if you want a trap that doesn't have ANY wind flags and is sensitive enough to pop on the slightest tug.. go with the Heritage.

Good luck

I'll agree with running the Heritage Lakers.  They'll trip on light biting fish, won't wind trip ever and will last forever with normal use.  Esox
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2006, 07:24 AM »
I use a jigawhopper mammoth for my salmon rig. It has yet to wind trip.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2006, 08:29 AM »
i have lakers and jacktraps. the lakers are very nice but they are a far cry from a jacktrap. if you want the best then don't settle for anything else. ;)

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline rvz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 13, 2006, 11:24 AM »
I have been using Jack Traps for over two years and have yet to have the wind trip one!  Have also never had problems with them tripping when they should, even with a "light" hit.  They are a bit pricey but with the way they are built, with minimal care, will last my lifetime and then some.

Offline Niner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2007, 10:11 PM »
never had a single wind flag in 12 years of heritage traps and jack traps....

however, no need to replace your polars.  I fished with $3 green traps for decades.

to prevent it from happening on any trap, simply turn your trap so the wind is blowing the set flag into the  post.  it should not trip if you do this.

most wind flags are because the wind blows the flag off the tripping device.  but if you turn your trap so the wind is blowing it into the tripping device you won't get wind flags. ;)

so on a polar, you want your tip up to be blowing INTO the part of the trap that spins when your flag goes up.  if the wind is blowing the flag away from that spinning piece when it's set you'll have wind flags all day.

Offline Greenz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2007, 11:44 PM »
JACK TRAPS.........
Fishing, Flyfishing and Bowhunting!!
Not here for a long time just a good time!!

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2007, 01:05 AM »
frabill thermals

Offline markus6898

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2007, 05:59 PM »
FYI the frabils in high winds with snow will be snow cover and useless before you know it.  Use them a few weeks ago fishing for Brown's in new york. We did not get any wind flags but the flag would not have been able to release because they were covered in snow! I fish the heritage almost exclusively except in certain situations.

Offline lostfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2008, 09:35 PM »
You can make the Heritage trip even lighter if you file off the little notch on the flag rest. The older ones were made better too.

Offline JAB198

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2008, 08:07 AM »
jack traps work well for me.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.