The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: How much ice do you need ?  (Read 1340 times)

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
How much ice do you need ?
« on: Dec 17, 2013, 11:30 AM »
How much ice do you need to safely haul your ice shack with your atv?  I plan to haul my shack down the cove a bit before the snow makes it impossible. There is about fourteen inches of light snow now with a foot tonight and rain/mix Sunday.
Steve

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: How much ice do you need ?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2013, 12:09 PM »
Shack and Wheeler I would like to see atleast 10"..... But that's just me.
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline chillywillie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2013, 12:10 PM »
At least 6 inches everywhere I check before the wheeler goes out.

Offline PassionToMe

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fresh snow, slippery ice, I love fishing.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2013, 12:34 PM »
8 inches be safe please!

Offline ted10

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • home sweet home. the dog house
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2013, 02:57 PM »
A good 6 to 8 inches all over. check it does change quick. :tipup: :tipup:
TED JAMES

Offline Skunkboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2013, 03:07 PM »
7" & a cold extended forecast.

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2013, 03:12 PM »
At least 6 inches everywhere I check before the wheeler goes out.
x2 :)

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2013, 03:23 PM »
I feel this is a good estimate, but you have to know the lake and where there is current or inlets/outlets or very deep spots that may have been frozen for only a few days. I would check thickness every 50 yards or so by walking out with a chisel.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&cad=rja&ved=0CGEQFjAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Ffishandboat.com%2Fwater%2Fice_thickness.pdf&ei=gL-wUvPJHau0sATjuIGwBw&usg=AFQjCNHBl8wha6uuvrSlINZHJ1H3ciwXFA&bvm=bv.58187178,d.cWc
It must be something in the water.

Offline sebagosalmo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2013, 04:19 PM »
8 inches of solid black ice everywhere !!

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2013, 04:40 PM »
Alex has made a serious comment  . Everyone needs to know the conditions. Water Currents, Dams being opened and closed. air pockets under ice greatly reduce strength.  Some lake will freeze over in cold weather. And where there is a current it will eat away a few inches in 24 hours. A snow shower will make it all look the same. Always talk with a local who has been fishing his lakes for years . To say all lakes a safe is not a smart statement.  There are people that drown every year because they thought the lake was safe.... When traveling large lakes always have a compass .

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2013, 08:10 PM »
The cove has black ice 7 " thick, the same as last year the second week of January. Out in the middle of the cove the water is coming up though the ice which will make it slushy with all the snow. Some of the last snow has blown off, but there is still a good foot everywhere. Even with all this weeks cold weather there was little making ice. Snow again Friday and a mix of snow and rain Sunday.
Steve

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2013, 08:26 PM »
6in. of good blue ice. bigger lakes ,double that as ice can vary big time on bigger bodies of water! unless you know the body of water like the back of your hand! I've gone up eagle lake on 4in. of ice for 6miles. i didn't slow below 60mph till' i hit dry land at the other end! i really don't recommend that but I've fished that lake since 3yrs. old!

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm not leaving until I catch a fish!!! R. Crabs
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2013, 08:30 PM »
The cove has black ice 7 " thick, the same as last year the second week of January. Out in the middle of the cove the water is coming up though the ice which will make it slushy with all the snow. Some of the last snow has blown off, but there is still a good foot everywhere. Even with all this weeks cold weather there was little making ice. Snow again Friday and a mix of snow and rain Sunday.

If you think rain on sunday I would wait till after that and see how that sets it up.  The rain will settle the fluffy snow and then with a good cold snap you would be all set no slush worries
Just my .02

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2013, 08:49 PM »
If you think rain on sunday I would wait till after that and see how that sets it up.  The rain will settle the fluffy snow and then with a good cold snap you would be all set no slush worries
Just my .02
my boy dug at the beach on eagle. 12in. blue ice 2 days ago. trucks have already crossed to sly brook rd. side.

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm not leaving until I catch a fish!!! R. Crabs
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2013, 08:52 PM »
my boy dug at the beach on eagle. 12in. blue ice 2 days ago. trucks have already crossed to sly brook rd. side.

Yeah I'm not worried about us more of what I would do down his way......thats good news 12 inches already...:)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.