The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Safe ponds in Mass  (Read 5652 times)

Offline Icefishing45

• IceShanty Rookie
Safe ponds in Mass
« on: Dec 03, 2019, 07:31 PM »
I know of a few ponds that are safe to icefish in MA, but they are far from my house. Does anyone know of any ponds that are ready to fish?

LukequabbinMA

Re: Safe ponds in Mass
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2019, 05:42 AM »
Were you located

Offline SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2019, 07:10 AM »
no Ice no matter the thickness is safe. use your own gut and caution when heading out. I fish on 2in a lot and I have been driving one to two hours to find ice. dont be afraid to burn gas and time is my only advice. people really don't give handouts on here like that. if they do the swarms of lurkers would flock. I have seen it with my own eyes. that being said I know of safeish ice in western ma connecticut valley and central ma before this snow. it's out there to find.

LukequabbinMA

« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2019, 07:45 AM »
Theres ice around give it 1 more week there will be plenty to find froezen just look for people fishing or previous holes by next weekend when i find some good ice i wont mind sharing people will always find out on there own if no one helps online its not hard or a big deal just ignore the guys who think everything is a secrete alot lie and point you in the wrong derections im here to see everyone have a good time i only target trout and looking to get my first nh Brookie and trust me no one will help or tell haha goes as far has hate messages for mentioning a lake you can easily find on Google maps and the .gov websites will tell you depth and species and when stocked do your own research avoid the seceret socetiey fremasons of fishing hahah tight lines to all even the haters big fish to post soon ny and nh all season (luke from mass here) quabbin angler

Offline Anima1z

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><,))'>
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2019, 08:24 AM »
CT Valley, we were on the edges of a pond that always freezes early before we got the snow, it was 2".  Now it looks like its covered in slush which could be a good thing as long as the ice underneath stays....  Was hoping to get out on it MAYBE Sunday, if so I will post some pics.  I understand both arguments... share the spot and then boom.... place gets packed especially this time when there is not much ice to be found.  On the other hand.... new people trying the sport could really benefit from the knowledge of those who have been doing this for a while.  I will share the spot AFTER we hit it :)  it wont be a big surprise and I highly doubt it will get hammered after people find out what body of water it is.  Pretty small too.

Have fun!

Offline Icefishing45

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2019, 08:49 AM »
That’s good advice from you guys. Thank you

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2019, 08:56 AM »
I'm not liking all this snow on top of the new, thin ice.
Heavy snow weights down the ice pushing water up through and making slush. The snow/slush insulates the ice and makes it freeze slower.
Snow also makes it impossible to eyeball the ice and judge safety. I know, I know, you can't judge safety just by looking, but it gives a preliminary judgement. Especially doing drive bys.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2019, 12:04 PM »
like mikez stated, any ice that was on the ponds is now sagging into the water by the weight of the snow and slush. the snow insulates the water and will make it harder to freeze the water below. we will need colder temps for longer periods. That and you cannot visually see if the ice is even thick enough to encourage you to wander out further to check it's thickness. I'll follow the fat guy

Offline SkunkLuvver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2019, 01:50 PM »
like mikez stated, any ice that was on the ponds is now sagging into the water by the weight of the snow and slush. the snow insulates the water and will make it harder to freeze the water below. we will need colder temps for longer periods. That and you cannot visually see if the ice is even thick enough to encourage you to wander out further to check it's thickness. I'll follow the fat guy
This gives me pause... I’ve noticed my buddies always walk on behind me but thought it was because I was faster to load up... maybe it’s more calculated than that  ??? ???

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2019, 02:37 PM »

Not an issue if you use a spud bar.  Ice fishermans best friend. 

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2019, 03:33 PM »
Not an issue if you use a spud bar.  Ice fishermans best friend.

How many hits with the spud and you keep going versus turnaround?
westernmas on the finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2019, 04:04 PM »
How many hits with the spud and you keep going versus turnaround?
depends. if I just barely poke through with one hard poke I keep going. it's when it breaks through easily I step back. I measured and I can blow through 2.5 to 3in in one hit

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2019, 05:38 PM »
depends. if I just barely poke through with one hard poke I keep going. it's when it breaks through easily I step back. I measured and I can blow through 2.5 to 3in in one hit

It varies a lot Pat.  It can vary by chisel brand and design, it can vary by my gut and by time of year.  It can vary depending on how it feels when I hit the ice.  The one thing I know...is my spud my third leg that never gets laid.  Its the best piece of ice equipment I own.  I lost my frabil 1 piece last year....on LG.  I miss it a lot and would pay good money for a replacement as I can't find them anymore.  Stepped chisel, 1 piece yellow paint with a black rubber handle.  Have an eskimo redneck now...does the job but just doesnt have the feel of a 1 piece.  I want to be able to feel how the spud responds to the hit...when the ice is hard you can really feel the feedback vs soft.  It seemed to me I was losing a bit of that last year with the 2 piece...maybe just splitting hairs but on a subject as important as staying on top...I'll split hairs.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2019, 06:06 PM »
It varies a lot Pat.  It can vary by chisel brand and design, it can vary by my gut and by time of year.  It can vary depending on how it feels when I hit the ice.  The one thing I know...is my spud my third leg that never gets laid.  Its the best piece of ice equipment I own.  I lost my frabil 1 piece last year....on LG.  I miss it a lot and would pay good money for a replacement as I can't find them anymore.  Stepped chisel, 1 piece yellow paint with a black rubber handle.  Have an eskimo redneck now...does the job but just doesnt have the feel of a 1 piece.  I want to be able to feel how the spud responds to the hit...when the ice is hard you can really feel the feedback vs soft.  It seemed to me I was losing a bit of that last year with the 2 piece...maybe just splitting hairs but on a subject as important as staying on top...I'll split hairs.
2 piece chisels are a joke like you stated jon. they dont give you the feel you need.
is the steeped ones the ones that have that serrated look or the ones with a flat slant? if it's the serrated looking one cabelas makes a great one piece for 20$

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2019, 07:21 PM »
Serrated ya. 

Offline bojango

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 04, 2019, 09:56 PM »
I prefer 3 piece chisels

Offline Phishing.Hacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 04, 2019, 10:09 PM »
On Monday my shiner ponds were soft and wet, all the ice was sloppy.

I didn't check them yesterday, today they were semi hard, top layer was ice, but under neath the ice was 3-4 inch of slush weak stuff, 1-2 light whack, no way would I even try this stuff. Ice is not looking very good, need a deep freeze maybe Sunday, bring a change of clothing and stuff. 

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 05, 2019, 07:22 AM »
On Monday my shiner ponds were soft and wet, all the ice was sloppy.

I didn't check them yesterday, today they were semi hard, top layer was ice, but under neath the ice was 3-4 inch of slush weak stuff, 1-2 light whack, no way would I even try this stuff. Ice is not looking very good, need a deep freeze maybe Sunday, bring a change of clothing and stuff.
always picks and a change of clothing. 2 most valuable things.

LukequabbinMA

« Reply #18 on: Dec 05, 2019, 07:26 AM »
If theres ice i better get out after this weekend with this 50 degree and rain not looking good :(

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2019, 07:59 AM »
If theres ice i better get out after this weekend with this 50 degree and rain not looking good :(
I think it will fix this crap ice. hopefully melt and zambonie it

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 05, 2019, 09:45 AM »
2 piece chisels are a joke like you stated jon. they dont give you the feel you need.
is the steeped ones the ones that have that serrated look or the ones with a flat slant? if it's the serrated looking one cabelas makes a great one piece for 20$

Good stuff Jon and S&S.  Thanks for the insight.  I've got the redneck one piece, doesn't have the step chisel, but it does the job.  I made myself a handle and lanyard out of paracord and was good to go.
westernmas on the finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 05, 2019, 10:30 AM »
Good stuff Jon and S&S.  Thanks for the insight.  I've got the redneck one piece, doesn't have the step chisel, but it does the job.  I made myself a handle and lanyard out of paracord and was good to go.
chisel is a chisel in my experience. it's like a filet knife or like a baseball glove. you adjust to the tool and learn the feel of it. fits like a glove so to say. any chisel will work as long as you learn its feel. the most important item in ice fishing. I have to put a lanyard on mine so it doesnt accidentally slip out of my hands and down the hole.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 05, 2019, 02:07 PM »
I have to put a lanyard on mine so it doesnt accidentally slip out of my hands and down the hole.

YouTube a paracord lanyard and you'll have one in no time.
westernmas on the finder

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #23 on: Dec 05, 2019, 02:29 PM »
chisel is a chisel in my experience. it's like a filet knife or like a baseball glove. you adjust to the tool and learn the feel of it. fits like a glove so to say. any chisel will work as long as you learn its feel. the most important item in ice fishing. I have to put a lanyard on mine so it doesnt accidentally slip out of my hands and down the hole.

I agree to this somewhat. I agree because you are right that adjusting to a tool is key to being proficient with it. However, some tools are designed to already be more proficient than others. Meaning, I wouldn't choose a Hyundai Accent over a jeep if I was going off-roading, nor would I choose a jeep over a Corvette if my intention was to go fast. I have both the 1 piece and 2 piece redneck and I do agree that the 1 piece is far better but i do not have any experience with any others. Lets not talk fillet knives T. LMFAO.  ;D
Just add water.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 05, 2019, 02:38 PM »
I agree to this somewhat. I agree because you are right that adjusting to a tool is key to being proficient with it. However, some tools are designed to already be more proficient than others. Meaning, I wouldn't choose a Hyundai Accent over a jeep if I was going off-roading, nor would I choose a jeep over a Corvette if my intention was to go fast. I have both the 1 piece and 2 piece redneck and I do agree that the 1 piece is far better but i do not have any experience with any others. Lets not talk fillet knives T. LMFAO.  ;D
what about fillet knives ;D

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #25 on: Dec 05, 2019, 03:49 PM »
Fillet knives lives matter.

Just add water.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 05, 2019, 06:35 PM »
Fillet knives lives matter.

I'm taking that you like the cheap plastic rapala ones mike. you use them so much the metal must run down from sharpening. do you go through 8 a year? ;D

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #27 on: Dec 06, 2019, 08:35 AM »
These knives I was using were absolutely terrible! Rapala and a no name brand someone gave me and yes, I ran the metal right off of them during sharpening.

I now use Cuda knives for fish and Outdoor Edge for butchering. Will never go back. Both, I highly recommend!

Just add water.

LukequabbinMA

« Reply #28 on: Dec 06, 2019, 08:40 AM »
Safe ice safe ice safe ice!!! All that matter is ice fishing!!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 06, 2019, 10:52 AM »
just got the call. safeish ice in central ma widespread. use your own personal judgment and dont take any others word. I'm going to scout my favorite ponds in an hour but already have 3 locations that are good to go. sucks my knee is swollen like a balloon. going to have to take it easy on the ice tomorrow.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.