The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: tips for big perch  (Read 1385 times)

Offline Perchslayer1990

• IceShanty Rookie
tips for big perch
« on: Feb 17, 2013, 02:53 PM »
Looking for tips on catching big perch out of Middle Thompson?

Offline Pastor B

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: tips for big perch
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2013, 02:58 PM »
Don't drill any holes and throw a frisbee with your partner for the tournament!  This is the best way I have found to catch massive perch in Middle Thompson! ;)
Play hard!  Pray hard!

Offline Perchslayer1990

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2013, 03:11 PM »
I will have to take that into consideration.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2013, 04:18 PM »
Sounds smart assed but its not, fish where they are. If they are going to bite, they will bite just about anything. If they are hugging the mud, a slowly lifted dropper is tough to beat. But if your doing this where there are no big perch....you get the idea.

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2013, 08:03 PM »
Minnow heads on a mid size Buck Shot spoon, Gob of maggots on a large demon jig, or a glow jigging Rapala...35 FOW or deeper.  My top three...

Mike
www.aablefishing.com
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline RyB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2013, 10:28 PM »
If they are hugging the mud, a slowly lifted dropper is tough to beat.
  What's a dropper? 

Offline Pastor B

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2013, 10:32 PM »
Sorry for the sarcasm earlier...it sounds funnier in my head then when it is written!  Missoulafish and perchassault have some really good pointers, and I would add that when you do start catching them look at what they are spitting up when you get them above the ice... It will help with color selection and also type of meat to tip your lure with.  When I fished there a few weeks ago it did not really matter what we threw at them because they were all pretty hungry!  The biggest factor was depth! 

Again sorry about being a smarta$$ earlier.  I do wish you well, and hope you can get into some big ones!!! ;D
Play hard!  Pray hard!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2013, 12:09 AM »
Dropper is basically some sort of attractor jig( without hooks ) with a short segment of line below it leading to another hook. Can be deadly on perch. A tinny marabou or micro plastic dropper catches perch.
Perch I caught this weekend were gorging on crayfish  that were 1 to 2 inches long along with lots of various bugs.

Offline fishin7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't know unless you go!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2013, 12:30 AM »
If its slow or all your catching is dinks, try a big rattle trap. (When targeting perch i will usually carry 2 poles, one with a big rattle trap and then my normal perch set up) I don't use the rattle to actually catch them but what I've found is that it will at least bring in more fish and sometimes some better sized fish as well to investigate all the commotion, then I put back in my normal perch set up and put it in their face. 

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2013, 08:02 AM »
Ditch the live bait and try soft plastics! Slower fishing, usually larger fish.  This requires constant jigging but if they are coming in regularly and looking but not taking it, toss that idea and use a perch eye.

Some of my largest perch this season have came off jigs with no live bait.  The smallest pink firetiger jigging rap and a gold PK flutter fish or lightning spoons with a dropper and a finesse plastic.

Offline RyB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2013, 09:19 PM »
Dropper is basically some sort of attractor jig( without hooks )

Oh ok thanks.  I've actually been doing that a bit, but didn't know that's what it is called.  I've got a pretty weak tackle box, so I've been using the always magnificent plain silver Swedish Pimple (with treble hook) for "flash" and below that a small green glow vertical jig with a maggot or wax worm or whatever.  That setup has caught Pike, Perch, Lake Whitefish, and Lake Trout.  All but one of those was on the Swedish Pimple, not the glow hook.  Both were baited.  Someday I'll figure this out.

Offline MTmatt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2013, 09:30 PM »
Im using hayle jigs and diamonds on canyon ferry tipped with maggots.  Seems to be working well for perch, eyes and trout.

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2013, 09:31 PM »

DROPPERS

Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline Firetrap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 19, 2013, 12:59 AM »
Firetiger Rapala Minnow rap in the smallest size. Or my go to is the Hali yellow and silver with 2 or 3 maggots on the hook. Then use a perch eye if you need.

Offline Perchslayer1990

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2013, 08:27 AM »
thanks have to try some of those.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.