The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: any one been out yet  (Read 2918 times)

oldschoolben

any one been out yet
« on: Nov 18, 2011, 10:39 AM »
just got back from north dakota and the ice startin to thickin anyone been out yet 2 any of the lakes in western mt

Offline fishin mt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: any one been out yet
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2011, 10:28 PM »
tommorrow am ill be out if i can find thck enough ice

Offline nicejigs

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FISH ON
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2011, 11:01 PM »
Not yet, was hoping to get out to Browns on Tuesday although I haven't heard anything regarding the ice out there yet... :tipup:
-"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, don't teach a man to fish and you feed yourself. He's a grown man, fishing is not that hard." _Ron Swanson

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2011, 12:57 PM »
Not yet, was hoping to get out to Browns on Tuesday although I haven't heard anything regarding the ice out there yet... :tipup:

Let us know if you hear anything or if you go.
  BE THERE!

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2011, 09:46 PM »

Yep, sure have, today I made it out  ;D ;D

Offline fishin mt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2011, 09:52 PM »
My son and I made it out.  the fishin was great. be very careful as ice conditions are very sketchy.  drill drill drill and be careful.  it was safe where we were but we only fished in 3 foot deep water.  my son is five and he was hammmering the fish. he outfished the heck out of me.  it was a great day.

Offline steelerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2011, 09:55 PM »
My son and I made it out.  the fishin was great.
Where???

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2011, 01:32 PM »
fished georgetown yesterday. 3-5 inches of ice. caught 8 rainbows and 2 salmon. fished maybe 4 hours. take a spud bar, some of the ice is a little soft, and a touch thinner in areas.
Live Free Or Die.

Offline Htech77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2011, 10:01 PM »
Kicked off the season on Harpers today 1-4 inches of ice. I put some pics on the pics thread.

Offline pikeassasin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2011, 09:14 AM »
Hit Smith lake for about an hour and a half yesterday morning. Only three inches of ice, but the risk was worth getting on the ice. No fish for the first half of the trip and then six or seven "Smith Lake Pike"  in the last half. Forgot the pliers at home and got tired of getting bit, so called it quits way too early. Still nice to get out though.

oldschoolben

« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2011, 10:56 AM »
love early ice when its a little iffy its the best fishin it seems

Offline GordonS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 21, 2011, 09:52 PM »
Tiber is 2 weeks off - at least.  Havent heard yet on Fransis - anybody know?>

Offline lamdilligaf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 22, 2011, 12:43 PM »
Salmon lake is still open in the middle.

Offline lamdilligaf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 22, 2011, 12:45 PM »
Anyone been by Swan lake yet?

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #14 on: Nov 22, 2011, 01:23 PM »
I would be surprised if Swan has any ice at all. Neptune might check it out one of these days though.

Offline needin2fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 22, 2011, 08:26 PM »
Working on Swan lake, ice is a long ways away with this warmer weather and all the wind turning the lake up. Working right in
town by the bay. Will keep you posted on the progress.

Offline Liprippa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 22, 2011, 08:39 PM »
Fished G town today 4-5" over by the pump house and 1.5-2 at dentons it was kinda iffy but me and my buddy caught about 50 fish total in 4 1/2 hrs

Offline dumpld1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The world is my Ice House
« Reply #17 on: Nov 22, 2011, 09:15 PM »
Lake Francis is not frozen yet.  And after today and 50mph wind it is two steps back. NOT SAFE

Offline pikeassasin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 30, 2011, 08:31 AM »
Fished Smith again on the twenty seventh and landed eight little guys and lost another half a dozen. The biggest was probably around twenty five inches or so...of course he was one of the half dozen ::)...three inches of ice still and cracking like crazy. Just curious here, but it is almost December, right??? What's with all the forty degree days???

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 30, 2011, 09:26 AM »
Thanks for the update pikeassasin, I updated the ice thickness chart based on that info for the Smith lake entry. I have to go to Oregon this weekend but it is supposed to cool down next week so I may hit Smith. I'll be honest I have no idea what is up with the 40 degree days but it pretty much sucks.

Offline nicejigs

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FISH ON
« Reply #20 on: Dec 02, 2011, 03:39 PM »
Made it up to Browns for my first trip of the season, got skunked... again. Good news is that there was a solid 4-5 inches of clear w/ another 3 on top of that! I fished right off of the point by the boat launch in about 8-12 fow, from about 7-10.30- tried various set ups and baits but nada. There were probably 6 or 7 other guys out but I did not see anyone ice any fish.. but I did not talk to anyone either. I also stopped by Harpers on the way back to town. Looked iffy.... No one on it. I did not stop to drill any holes though.  :tipup:
-"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, don't teach a man to fish and you feed yourself. He's a grown man, fishing is not that hard." _Ron Swanson

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 03, 2011, 12:55 AM »
Fished a lake near work in ND tonight.  Got 2 little walleye.  Nice start!

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline flamesfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 04, 2011, 09:51 PM »
Fished Bair Reservoir today for about an hour and a half. About 5 inches of good ice and one decent rainbow. Saw someone fishing Sutherlin, but I didn't give it a try.

Offline godammjigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 05, 2011, 07:54 AM »
Is Bair Reservoir by White Sulfur Springs?  I was wondering because I was thinking about checking out Martinsdale next weekend.  Haven't had a whole lot of success there, but I just need to get out and fish.

Offline flamesfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 05, 2011, 09:31 AM »
Yeah. Bair is one of the two reservoirs right along the highway to White Sulfur - Sutherlin's the other one. Bair is right up the hill from the little town of Checkerboard.

Offline pikeassasin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 05, 2011, 10:19 AM »
In case anyone was wondering, Rogers has a solid six inches and the grayling are biting!!! ;)

Offline Lost River

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 05, 2011, 11:53 PM »
Got a new Eskimo Fatfish I am dying to try out...so hopefully I will get out and have something to report real soon.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #27 on: Dec 06, 2011, 09:08 AM »
In case anyone was wondering, Rogers has a solid six inches and the grayling are biting!!! ;)
Where do you get into Rogers from?  I've always wanted to try to get one of those Grayling outta there but never heard of a place to go in at....Please share!

Offline pikeassasin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 06, 2011, 05:24 PM »
Neptune,

Not sure how much info you need so I'll start from the beginning just in case. Head west on highway two from Kalispell. Not sure on the mileage, but it's past the turn for Smith lake a few miles(five maybe?) and right before the turn up to Ashley.(I'd guess less than a mile) You will turn left onto Rogers Lake road off of two. Follow the road for a few miles until it splits. Stay right. There will be a sign saying public access pointing to the right road. After that, it's just up the hill a little ways. You will see a small white house with a big for sale sign on the left and right before that there is a little road down to a parking area right on the lake. If there's a lot of snow I'd park on the main road...pretty pricey getting towed out of there...trust me :-\.....hope this helps and good luck!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.